January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That shopper needs an outing Stu
I had considered that Steve but then I started joining everything together and thought 'sod that' :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by RIP »

Any comments or feelings so far about the job then Stu? Either rude or cheery. Or withholding until after you're back with your soaked feet toasting in front of the fire with a brew?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nothing too drastic Reg. There's a few that don't really tie in with any others which might mean some out and back legs. There's about 3 that I know have no path / track and will be HaB but there's also some that are very pleasant, :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

(Didn't know there's any HaBbing. Wonder if any GRs are not quite as intended. Still, as you would say, even if they are you end up somewhere anyway :smile: )
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mine's in the middle of a HaB from the 2015 BB200. It was an absolute clint in the middle of that when you're trying to get round in a respectable time, but if you're happy to work your way through at a leisurely pace it's bearable.

I've actually been back through it again since then by accident when I was following some of Mike's "directions" on a WRT :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just cooked up Verena's GRs. To add something a little bit extra, I gave her an 11th GR with the option to swap it for any one of the first ten :smile: . Whether it helps or makes things worse is a moot point :grin: . Looking at them now, graveyards and fords seem to predominate so I'd like to do the route myself!

I'm childishly amused by the What3Words references that GridReferenceFinder gives you for each GR.

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:29 pm Just cooked up Verena's GRs. To add something a little bit extra, I gave her an 11th GR with the option to swap it for any one of the first ten :smile: . Whether it helps or makes things worse is a moot point :grin: . Looking at them now, graveyards and fords seem to predominate so I'd like to do the route myself!

I'm childishly amused by the What3Words references that GridReferenceFinder gives you for each GR.

Thank you :-bd

Just considering when the most inappropriate and annoying moment will be for me to get my maps out.... :grin:
(Maps I said you Muppets!!! :wink: )
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:54 pm (Maps I said you Muppets!!! :wink: )
:grin:

I can tell you're spending too much time Here, Verena. After a while these sort of comments just pop out involuntarily, and you think "Where did that come from?" :smile: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:42 pm
Verena wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:54 pm (Maps I said you Muppets!!! :wink: )
:grin:

I can tell you're spending too much time Here, Verena. After a while these sort of comments just pop out involuntarily, and you think "Where did that come from?" :smile: .
Yeah you're right...as soon as I wrote it I thought, o no, I know what's next, so I thought I'd save you the trouble :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I wonder what the all new tier levels (announced tomorrow apparently) will do for bike packing and overnight stays away from home?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 am I wonder what the all new tier levels (announced tomorrow apparently) will do for bike packing and overnight stays away from home?
North Somerset and Bristol are expecting to go up a level tomorrow so I was planning a garden overnighter. Am I allowed in to watch telly before bed?
RIP

Post by RIP »

You'll have to watch it from outside through the window, while everyone else is inside on the sofa in the toasty warm :smile: .

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Got another's GR's to do tonight

Is there anyone else put there who hasn't had there's as yet.

Please message Reg or myself.

If so would anyone else like to do someone's else's GR's too?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:48 pm Got another's GR's to do tonight

I can hash something together if needs be John.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Forecast high of 3C and lows of -5C between now and the event so I'm getting worried we could have icy slush around. That might cut my plans a little.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Seem to have lost a post from earlier today....have my route all plotted, really looking forward to it, thanks Reg :-bd 71 km/1250m give or take a few....
Now on to the all important task of planning the menu for the substantial meal challenge :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Due to family commitments i will be doing this a week late - 16-17
hopefully this is ok with the organisers [ did warn iirc in my first post] or i will need to be the first scratch!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Everything's bonkers at the moment so can't see it as a problem :smile: . Then again by that time maybe we'll be on T6 and you'll be confined to riding round your sitting room 100 times and kipping on the sofa....

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Taylor wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:57 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:48 pm Got another's GR's to do tonight

I can hash something together if needs be John.
Cheers Taylor, thanks for your help.
Both Reg and I have GR's to do today

Please will you contact Bob and Cath on his Whitestone site name to do his?

It would be a great help

Cheers
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

you'll be confined to riding round your sitting room 100 times and kipping on the sofa....
So just as much climbing as you then :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm in tier 4 now - not really sure how this affects this. I'm assuming overnight stays away from home are banned, but any fool can see the next to zero risk a bivvy without any pub/cafe stops poses, though I stuck to the letter of the law in the summer, apart from one occasion when I decided if Primark was open, me sleeping on a hill was the least of society's worries. We probably don't need to start debating that again.

If I'm honest, I'm not seeing much temptation to break the rules either. My usual approach in winter would be to end up in a bothy with a fire, go with friends, share the fuel, and/or spend a couple of hours in a warm pub in the evening. Not very adventurous, I know, but I do this for fun (mostly).

So I'm not sure what form my winter event will take - but it will be something, and I will at least attempt to visit all my GRs.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:47 pm I'm not sure what form my winter event will take - but it will be something, and I will at least attempt to visit all my GRs.
As there are no rules, we are all in this same boat Dave.

I've a "bothy" at work my work place in a locked yard 1/2 mile from the nearest house, so whatever the rules at the time I'll be as safe here than I would be at home.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Route planning time :-bd
Asposium

Tier 4

Post by Asposium »

The biggest issue I see is finding water.
Tier 4 is allowed to exercise, and travel locally (though hull is in tier 3, soton tier 4).
For an overnight can carry all my food and spares.

Only issue is water.
Normally I’d go into a pub, cafe, or camp site.
But everything is closed.
Could take a water filter, but that assumes water available to filter.
Take all necessary
Or wing it.
Only overnight, so don’t need too much water.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Water seems to be an issue here as well. I know the locations of all the public taps* but the council turned them off, I'm assuming for covid reasons? But they are often off in the winter to save money.

* They are mainly on the seafronts at the popular beaches but some are in parks. It's worth hunting them out in your local area.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger