January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:49 pm Image
:lol: That's class. As often happens, 100 years of weathering can have unexpected consequences for outdoor stonework :o
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
SeannyD

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by SeannyD »

Route planning in process, Garmin binned going to Use Komoot as a trial.
Cheers Colin :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just heard we're moving up to Tier 3 from Boxing Day so looks like it will be the garden for me :sad: It's the DFLs bringing the new strain. The Island is usually years behind the mainland, the one time we catch up is a pandemic :roll:

On a more positive note I have my GRs so I can start planning :smile:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Forgot to mention I’ll also be passing through Balls Cross and Cocking. :O)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Charliecres wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm Forgot to mention I’ll also be passing through Balls Cross and Cocking. :O)
You forgot?? This is BBB!

:grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:19 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:49 pm Image
:lol: That's class. As often happens, 100 years of weathering can have unexpected consequences for outdoor stonework :o
I know how it feels. 62 years and weathering... :sad: .

The only thing that would have pleased me more would have been if I could have specified it as one of Stu's GRs :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Don't forget,

Tomorrow is the traditional day to swap GR's but no reason why you can't do it this evening it it's easier.

Enjoy your planning between tomorrow and the ride on the 9th Jan

If anyone has any questions please just ask :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:45 pm
Charliecres wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:21 pm

( . ) ( . )
Sigh! No doubt the visit will leave you with many happy mammaries
Actually really just laughed out loud :lol:

I'm sure I had a bosom hill as one of my GRs for Dave, but I took it off as I had too many...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Verena wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:01 pm I'm sure I had a bosom hill as one of my GRs for Dave, but I took it off as I had too many...
Yes, two per person is enough usually :lol: we're way off topic now.. when I was about 9 or 10 (so 1979/1980) there was a shop in town and the window was full of 'collectables' including some weird items, like a stuffed lamb with 5 legs (which I assumed was fake) and a black and white photo of a lady with 3 :wink: which I assume was real as it was before photoshop and despite many hours looking at it I couldn't see how it was done :oops:
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:56 pm Pfftt ... snigger .... lol ... giant cock ... hahahaha

Miss you mate.
Don't worry Tim mate, you're first on the list of invitees for the Lord Hereford's Knob trip :-bd .

Verena

Post by Verena »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:10 pm
Verena wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:01 pm I'm sure I had a bosom hill as one of my GRs for Dave, but I took it off as I had too many...
Yes, two per person is enough usually :lol: we're way off topic now.. when I was about 9 or 10 (so 1979/1980) there was a shop in town and the window was full of 'collectables' including some weird items, like a stuffed lamb with 5 legs (which I assumed was fake) and a black and white photo of a lady with 3 :wink: which I assume was real as it was before photoshop and despite many hours looking at it I couldn't see how it was done :oops:
[/quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=simon+p ... 2B9rI-SuSM

Way way off topic...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Verena wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:48 pm
https://www.google.com/search?q=simon+p ... 2B9rI-SuSM

Way way off topic...
:lol: She wasn't green.... but I guess she could have been as the photo was in black and white.

Back on topic, As the Island is quite small if I planned my route carefully I could keep the mileage short but that wouldn't use up the two days. I also know the Island inside out so don't really need to plan the route in advance.

So I thought that I'd write the GRs on bits of paper and draw them from a hat, I'll then ride them in that order, 5 on the Saturday and 5 on the Sunday. I'll also not plan the route in advance, I'll just have the locations listed out in order and make it up as I go along. This is either my best or my worst idea ever, I'll know after I've done the draw :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:19 am This is either my best or my worst idea ever, I'll know after I've done the draw :lol:
The draw is done

As I feared it didn't exactly work out in my favour, two points which are only 1 mile apart came out of the hat (bag) with a point 13 miles away between them, and that's as the crow flies so further on the bike, these are the furthest apart of the GRs I have so bound to work out that way :lol: This is why I committed to the idea on here before the draw, it would also have been easy to just cheat and swap them over, sometimes it pays to have lower ethical standards but that's not the bearbones way :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good game that Sean. Does the plot make a rude shape perchance? That would make it all worthwhile.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

No rude shape I can see, but day 2 may bring forth some swearing, this is it as the crow flies, but it will be much more convoluted on the ground

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Route planned while watching the Italian Job

96 miles and just 2889ft of ups and downs.
I only have 4 hills (lumps) in my area and this takes in 3 of them.
mikep1972

Post by mikep1972 »

Got my gr just got plan mine now should be intresting as never done it before
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A quick plot/route gives me about 166km and 2,355 metres of ascent. I don't think there's anyway of reducing that. It does neatly split into a North Loop and a South Loop so there's the option of doing them unladed with a local bivvy in the middle, or even just doing one of the loops with the bivvy gear. Bike choice isn't obvious either. I need to fit the Rutlands to the VN Amazon and see how that feels as that may well be the optimum.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

As I started this off I guess for the first time ever I'll "try" and get all my GR's on this trip. :wink:

97 miles with an overnight at my most south/eastern point.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

My JVWE buddy was a lot kinder than those above though, to be honest, I didn't give him a lot room to manoeuvre with a very limited zone of travel. I've finally put the finishing touches on the route and it's just a 35 mile loop with not a lot of climbing. It took ages as round mine in South Bucks the off road access is really limited. And while I do ride footpaths and dont give an arse about ramblers moaning at me, they do mean a lot of gate lifts. In the loop Ive put together, on paths I mostly know, I reckon I will be lifting my bike overhead around 30 times. Lucky I'm so hulky then eh?
I'm just going outside ...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I got my GR's from ChrisF the other day and have been plotting them out on RWGPS. One big loop of 112 miles ( not going to happen :lol: ) or two loops of about 60 miles. He's hit a couple of my favourite points to vist, a few regulars and a few I've mean meaning to include all year long. All round a great result and I only hope benp1 is as happy with the GR's I selected for him.
Here's hoping for some half decent weather.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mine looks like this

Two loops. I'm just hoping the weather and conditions are suitable. Sub-zero, ice and snow here today. If that's repeated then that could severely curtail my chance to bag all the GRs
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just marked all my GR on a 1:175,000 map ... I find it doesn't look quite so bad that way :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:44 pm I've just marked all my GR on a 1:175,000 map ... I find it doesn't look quite so bad that way :-bd
That shopper needs an outing Stu - and we're gonna need pics!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's mine, thanks Dave :roll:
I'm starting near Conwy at the top center and heading clockwise. If I bag 2 GR's I'll be happy because the figures to the left look concerning! It might be doable in the summer....

ImageBB2021a by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos