January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by JohnClimber »

Don't forget we have until Thursday to swap Grid Refs on the traditional mail out day.

Although I'd love pt see mine now Brothersmith and I have chosen to wait until Christmas Eve to email them to each other.

We've also give each other a photo challenge or a history lesson at each Grid Ref.
It will help tell the story of the ride on the "How it Went" thread after the Event
Jay_ACWR

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Jay_ACWR »

Been great plotting this route but had to check I hadn’t sent Taylor on a massive tour of the south west, it being January and all. 😃 mind you he might be stuck in Lanzarote at this rate
Don’t die wondering...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Not due back until Christmas Eve.
Not heard anything regarding banning us from travelling back to the UK.
Could be worse, could be back in Britain surrounded by Covidiot’s crammed onto a train(incubator) from tier 4, there’s only 41 active cases on the whole of the island and the riding here is good.
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

Great hope it all works out mate. Bring some sun back
Don’t die wondering...
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:32 pm Don't forget we have until Thursday to swap Grid Refs on the traditional mail out day.
Damn, I missed that part. Do we really have to do it before Christmas? I am kinda a bit busy..... the bivvy isn't til Jan so could we not do them between Christmas and New Year?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Borderer wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:20 am
JohnClimber wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:32 pm Don't forget we have until Thursday to swap Grid Refs on the traditional mail out day.
Damn, I missed that part. Do we really have to do it before Christmas? I am kinda a bit busy..... the bivvy isn't til Jan so could we not do them between Christmas and New Year?
Tradition is to receive the GR's on Christmas Eve,
So that when the family are annoying you to death you can get the maps out and escape the madness.
But this year is different.
Your virtual partner will be expecting them on Thursday,
So either contact them for a chat about a delay or pull your finger out and get them done ;-)
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Yeah, it's not like I am busy this time of year or anything.
Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:27 am So that when the family are annoying you to death you can get the maps out
There is no surer way for ME to annoy the family to death than me getting my maps out and rustling about with them :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:44 am
JohnClimber wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:27 am So that when the family are annoying you to death you can get the maps out
There is no surer way for ME to annoy the family to death than me getting my maps out and rustling about with them :lol:
You could use them as a tablecloth under the family Crimbo dinner and work out your route while you were scoffing the sprouts and roasties :smile: .

I know how B feels, we've got to take Mrs Perrin's father to hospital for an operation all day tomorrow, sigh.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Borderer wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:47 am Yeah, it's not like I am busy this time of year or anything.
But its always like that every year for The Winter Event
Just blame Stuart
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No one's ever too busy to get a map out surely :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've told my buddy I'm in no hurry.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Like it! One of these days we'll set up a page with "The Thoughts And Wisdom Of Chairman Stu" on it. Or save 'em up and stick one on each month of the 2022 BBB calendar perhaps.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

^ my comment applied to Stu's post but come to think of it it works with Colin's as well :smile: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:09 am No one's ever too busy to get a map out surely :wink:
Amen to that Sir
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:37 am Like it! One of these days we'll set up a page with "The Thoughts And Wisdom Of Chairman Stu" on it. Or save 'em up and stick one on each month of the 2022 BBB calendar perhaps.
Or they could be published in a little book, similar to/ to rival this https://1lib.net/book/821748/934e9c?dsource=recommend
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:42 am
I know how B feels, we've got to take Mrs Perrin's father to hospital for an operation all day tomorrow, sigh.
:sad: Oh dear, hope that goes well for him, and you both.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thank you Verena, that's a thoughtful thing to say. Not much of a Crimbo present, but there's plenty worse off I guess.

RIP

Post by RIP »

In an attempt to inject some frivolity, I'm just doing my partner Ang's GRs, and one place I want to send her is an old industrial monument - some remnants of a lead ore processing site (shurrup Sean!). Quick glance at the map and it seemed to be in Bellend Lane which I knew would please some people here immensely (including me). Sadly of course, it's actually Belland Lane, named after a lead mining site feature.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

GRs have been swapped. I have a couple of decent bivvy spots in mine so I need to start thinking about route and so on.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Come on Reg, let's not spoil things just for the sake of an a and e :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Well I’ve plotted my route (103 miles and 7,400 ft of climbing) and I’m delighted to say it takes me to Titty Hill. It’s not one of my GRs but I was so close I just couldn’t pass by.

( . ) ( . )
RIP

Post by RIP »

Charliecres wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:21 pm Well I’ve plotted my route (103 miles and 7,400 ft of climbing) and I’m delighted to say it takes me to Titty Hill. It’s not one of my GRs but I was so close I just couldn’t pass by.

( . ) ( . )
Sigh! No doubt the visit will leave you with many happy mammaries Charlie. Don't forget the photos for the rest of us.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:18 pm Come on Reg, let's not spoil things just for the sake of an a and e :wink:
Heh heh :wink: . Now, as frequently happens in This Place, given that gentle nudge the thread starts to spiral rapidly down hill.

I noticed "Cross" quite close to another of Ang's GRs, and looked into it a bit further. Unfortunately it's on a footpath, although it can be seen from the road, otherwise I'd be tempted to add it to the list. I'm sure I've mixed it up with the previously mentioned GR and it would be most ungentlemanly to ask for a photo from Ang, so I've put one here myself. I can see you there Sean, just don't alright, just don't...

Last edited by RIP on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Pfftt ... snigger .... lol ... giant cock ... hahahaha

Miss you mate.
I'm just going outside ...