January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Taylor »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:08 pm Thanks John and Reg - sterling work!

A quick google turned up this site which you might find useful. It allows you to draw a circle with a set radius from a given centre point quickly, and you can share the results with your partner with a link if you want to do it that way.

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

I've gone for 40 miles. Since the radial distance is as-the-crow-flies, it's a bigger area than it sounds (obviously it's 80 miles across), even though, in my case, half of it's sea.
That's quite useful that link is. :-bd
Jay_ACWR

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Jay_ACWR »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:16 pm
Jay_ACWR wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:40 pm In the spirit of full disclosure what’s the rules regarding a mate riding it with me but who’s not entered the event, I’ll sack him off if not allowed but the photos would be better 😀Cheers
There are no rules apart from the one where you sleep outside of your own house.
How you interpretate the non rules are up to you as long as you are fully Covid compliant then what the hell.
My "bothy" is a 2 room bothy with two entrances, so another off here is joining me for the night at a 6m social distance.
Cheers, thought so, nice & relaxed
Don’t die wondering...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Come on Brothersmith check in to see my message.

Anyone else waiting for their virtual partner?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yah, Reg. What's absolutely hilarious is at this rate you and me will be doing each other's GRs again like last time!! :lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

I might just send you to exactly the same ones :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:44 am

Yep. My message is still sitting in my outbox.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:44 am Anyone else waiting for their virtual partner?
Me, but to be fair I only PM'd them this morning.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

As yesterday was a total washout up here in east Yorkshire ! , I decided to see what's involved in sorting some grid reference's out for my Virtual winter event partner.

After a quick message with my virtual partner we decided on a 25km radius around our homes , and while it doesn't sound a lot , when u draw a circle on the map, you just think wow, that's a big area !

Anyways as id never set any GR out for someone before, I had a look around at what i could use to assist me, firstly something to set my radius out , after a few different sites I came across this https://2kmfromhome.com/ .... works great, easy to use, can vary distance required etc.
Secondly an OS map so i can check if its legal, bridleway or track etc for this I used https://www.bing.com/maps ,drop down menu and selecting ordnance survey ….. look around said area, find something you fancy, right click on map and boom grid reference sorted ...
And lastly i used https://gridreferencefinder.com/ … to input the GR and check things etc

I seem to have sorted a lot more grid ref than we agreed on and so i need to go through them again and whittle them down to a more suitable number !

Have to say that I've learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed looking at online maps of another area and finding places that I hope my virtual partner will enjoy.
I'm really looking forward to see what my partner has found and got in store for me, considering we've only moved up here a year ago and hardly got out this year to explore. Really sad I know but I'm excited to see what happens in the new year :-bd

Stay safe out there

Stumpy
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Well I showed my hand first and sent Dave his GR's. As said above due to a very wet day yesterday morning I managed to get it done easily, riding it may prove otherwise! I shared them via Google Slides with an image of the location with the GR.
I used Grid Reference Finder, Geograph, Bing maps (OS mapping) & Google maps.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:44 am Come on Brothersmith check in to see my message.

Nope, Dave and I are good :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

summittoppler wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:01 pm Well I showed my hand first and sent Dave his GR's. As said above due to a very wet day yesterday morning I managed to get it done easily, riding it may prove otherwise! I shared them via Google Slides with an image of the location with the GR.
So me and Ollie can try and keep up with the 'big boys', Jeff, please may I ask how many GPs you sent out. Ollie, no muddy slodge please (if you're listening) as thats only for the elites...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Same or similar Q for any of the other crazy lot. How do you know if you're crqzy... well, you probably get called it often enough..
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I believe 10 is the allotted number. Eleven shall not thou count, nor shall thou count nine... etc.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:02 pm I believe 10 is the allotted number. Eleven shall not thou count, nor shall thou count nine... etc.
10 was a guide, as 10 are possibly achievable over a dark January weekend, it's about fun not suffering (that's what the BB200 & 300 are for)

If you give someone say 20 GR's that are not possible to get to them all, that person will chose the ones that they know and do a loop or two around the Grid Ref's in their comfort zone.

10 GR's will mean you may know where half are already but the other half is new to you, and as there are only 10 you don't have that much of an excuse not to go to them...... That's my thinking anyway
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

summittoppler wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:01 pm Well I showed my hand first and sent Dave his GR's. As said above due to a very wet day yesterday morning I managed to get it done easily, riding it may prove otherwise! I shared them via Google Slides with an image of the location with the GR.
A model of restraint and great presentation. Now i’m off to Google Welsh horror story trails
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:19 pm ...Now i’m off to Google Welsh horror story trails....
*gulp

Instagram:

YouTube:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

When I set GRs for the Where-You-Are Ride Thing, I simply googled "funny* place names [name of starting point]"

*Or was it "rude"?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good to hear that things are cracking on. Nice work there Stumpy - it's lovely to know that you're enjoying it and learning new stuff etc.

Re 10 GRs, I quite like the 'purity' of accepting what you're given and just knuckling down and getting on with it. Ignoring some seems to remove a bit of the fun (but anyone who's ridden with me on WRTs etc knows that's completely at odds with my normal attitude, hey ho)

You out there in the ether somewhere Ang? :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, and working out the 'what3words' equivalents of your GRs is entertaining too (well it is if you're entertainment-starved like me). Gridreferencefinder.com automatically shows what3words codes. I had some very amusing ones on the V-WRT earlier this year.

Taylor

Post by Taylor »

John ignores any Welsh ride thing GR's he given anyway.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Taylor wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:02 pm John ignores any Welsh ride thing GR's he given anyway.
Exactly, in fact he's usually decided where he's going even before the GRs are given out? So this made me chuckle :grin:
JohnClimber wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:15 pm .....as there are only 10 you don't have that much of an excuse not to go to them......
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm gonna have you in court for telling such lies............ :YMDEVIL:

Although you do have a good point, I do try and do at least 2 or 3, some times :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:24 pm
Although you do have a good point, I do try and do at least 2 or 3, some times :wink:
Or indeed the same 1 two or three times :wink: .

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Well Dave and myself have exchanged grid references. Both of us shared a Google doc/slides with GPS and with mages on.

I've had a quick plot of a route for mine and it comes out at 110 miles with 11,000 feet of climbing.

Don't think I'll take the fat bike!

Instagram:

YouTube: