January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by JohnClimber »

Copperbottom wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:44 pm Help!!
As a newbie. I have sent two messages one to RIP and one to my partner both are sat in my ‘outbox’ with nothing in sent? Have I done something wrong??
Thanks
Don't stress, and it's a great point.
They stay in your outbox until the other person logs on to the forum and can read them.
They will/should get an email to say that they have a message in their inbox.
ScotRoutes

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by ScotRoutes »

Copperbottom wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:44 pm Help!!
As a newbie. I have sent two messages one to RIP and one to my partner both are sat in my ‘outbox’ with nothing in sent? Have I done something wrong??
Thanks
Nah. They stay there until they're read.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Messages sit in your outbox until the recipient reads them. It doesn't mean they've not sent. 👍
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

PM sent to Tim/trob6 with my selected area:

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:27 pm
summittoppler wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:22 pm ....Bugger....Nicely done chaps....Bugger....
I’m a pussy cat.....meooooooow
For info, I'm moving from Snowdonia to Norfolk!
:lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Copperbottom

Post by Copperbottom »

Thanks for the replies 😀
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:56 pm For info, I'm moving from Snowdonia to Norfolk!
:lol:
Today Summittoppler wins the internet :lol: :lol: :lol:
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Message sent.

Thanks to JC and Reg for organising!
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I didn't think it was worth contacting Sam until after the weekend :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

Cheers to all involved in sorting this, Looking forward to it :-bd

Stumpy
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

shutuplegs wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:50 am Message sent.

Thanks to JC and Reg for organising!
Yes... thanks indeed John and Reg... History in the making is this. Just one thing, Jon, yoh said to check through the past x amount of pages to get pointers/tips/rules. I think...

Is it not possible to give the bottom line. Don't think I'll be able to decipher all the code you see :smile: please... Ta
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Appropriate PM sent - local area adjusted to avoid Keighley :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:13 am Is it not possible to give the bottom line. Don't think I'll be able to decipher all the code you see :smile: please... Ta
Ok, No problems
The main info links are here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18491
Area you ride map
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18491&start=250#p242346
More GR finding help here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18491&start=125#p239411
Or you can use Bing maps for a different typre of GR if it helps you
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18491&start=125#p240471

A quick overview guide.
You now have until Christmas Eve to swap your 10 grid refs (or see link's 3 & 4 above) with your chosen virtual partner.

Link 2 above shows my area which I have emailed to my virtual partner, is shows my home, my hopeful bivi spot, the area that I don't want to travel to, so anywhere in this area is fair game for GR's as long as they are legal. Swap a map like this with your virtual partner or just a simple instruction of no more than XXkm from my home which is post code XXXX XXX

Once you have your GR's then have until Jan 9th to work out your route to take in all/some/non of the given grid refs, it's up to you.

Head out on the 9th, if you are bivi'ing at your garden, you are allowed to "stash" your gear somewhere safe at your chosen location rather than carry it around over hill and dale.
As we normally end up in a warm pub for evening meals or a bothy with a fire going (I'm guessing we will be in a post Christmas 3rd lockdown during this event) for this event you ARE allowed to eat your Saturday evening meal in a warm part of your house while drying out your normally wet and smelly gear.
BUT THE ONLY RULE IS THAT YOU CAN'T SLEEP IN YOUR HOUSE ON SAT 9th JAN OVER NIGHT.
If you do return to home you can only sleep in your garden, shed or garage

Take photos of your GR's, your evening meal, your bivi spot and don't be a dick
Over that weekend (9th & 10th Jan) we will start a "How It Went" thread in the "Your Trips & Adventures" section of the forum for all 60 of us to share our stories, our new finds and our bivi photos.

Oh and there will be a link to vistaprint to a mug to buy for those interested in a souvenir from your adventures

Stuart's Bivi a Month guidelines and mapping guides
BaM 2020 Emergency Rules - Reinstated.
1/ Your own garden will now count. However, no running back off inside at 3am if it starts raining.
2/ Trips 'on foot' will now count. My reasoning is that it's perhaps easier to practice sensible social distancing when not restricted by a limited RoW network. Before anyone from Scotland says anything - yes we know, thank you.
Emergency rules reinstated for all areas under lockdown restrictions.

Stuart's mapping link Part 1
https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... art-1.html
Part 2
https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... art-2.html

For inspiration
Here's the link to the "how it Went" thread for last years Virtual Welsh Ride Thing that we did over the 1st Bank Holiday weekend my May when the official WRT was cancelled (later delayed) and a few of us did a test run swapping local grid ref's like we are doing here and now
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17048

And finally
One quote from the virtual WRT that rang true with a lot of us
Charliecres wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:18 pm
Well I’ve found a homely camp spot after a fantastic ride through largely unfamiliar territory. Big thanks to Sean for pointing me towards some cracking riding I’d never have found on my own.
Last edited by JohnClimber on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks so much Jon. That was most kind of you and very much apppreciated :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Well done guys - very happy with our pairing - inspired to put us with another parent/child combo. :-bd
Also glad we don't have to sully ourselves with looking at English or Welsh OS maps.... :lol:
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

In the spirit of full disclosure what’s the rules regarding a mate riding it with me but who’s not entered the event, I’ll sack him off if not allowed but the photos would be better 😀Cheers
Don’t die wondering...
RIP

Post by RIP »

That was a lucky first draw B, we thought it was nice too! The number of combinations of you 6 is fairly limited :wink: . The Fife/Gorms folks were obv then 50/50 chance (my probability skills are rubbish btw). Anyroad, have fun selecting some of the more choice GRs in inner Glasgow for the guys :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Thanks Reg and John. Spookily although I’m based in Shropshire my partner is in Newcastle, which is where I spent the first 21 years of my life.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Jay_ACWR wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:40 pm In the spirit of full disclosure what’s the rules regarding a mate riding it with me but who’s not entered the event, I’ll sack him off if not allowed but the photos would be better 😀Cheers
There are no rules apart from the one where you sleep outside of your own house.
How you interpretate the non rules are up to you as long as you are fully Covid compliant then what the hell.
My "bothy" is a 2 room bothy with two entrances, so another off here is joining me for the night at a 6m social distance.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Its a bit much selecting your bivvy spot on your map John.
Me and Dave have swapped our home postcodes and the rest is what will be......
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

tried to create my area in viewranger

before i send to my partner, please someone view and let me know if the idea work.

ta

https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzU5ODM0Ng==
Boab

Post by Boab »

Asposium wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm tried to create my area in viewranger

before i send to my partner, please someone view and let me know if the idea work.

ta

Looks like you're going to need a wetsuit...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

K1100T wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:40 pm
Asposium wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm tried to create my area in viewranger

ta

Looks like you're going to need a wetsuit...
that's okay
if i need a wetsuit then my partner will be needing a plane. :lol:

maybe its a shame i don't yet have my packraft. :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks John and Reg - sterling work!

A quick google turned up this site which you might find useful. It allows you to draw a circle with a set radius from a given centre point quickly, and you can share the results with your partner with a link if you want to do it that way.

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

I've gone for 40 miles. Since the radial distance is as-the-crow-flies, it's a bigger area than it sounds (obviously it's 80 miles across), even though, in my case, half of it's sea.
techno

Post by techno »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:08 pm Thanks John and Reg - sterling work!

A quick google turned up this site which you might find useful. It allows you to draw a circle with a set radius from a given centre point quickly, and you can share the results with your partner with a link if you want to do it that way.

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

I've gone for 40 miles. Since the radial distance is as-the-crow-flies, it's a bigger area than it sounds (obviously it's 80 miles across), even though, in my case, half of it's sea.
That is bloody useful, thanks!!