January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tobasco

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by tobasco »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:22 pm
But what's your first name please Tabasco?
Sean
ScotRoutes

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hmm. It occurs to me that the first post on this thread will be worth bookmarking. I can never remember folks real names!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

come to think of it, why's it called the "watershed" hour? Who sheds water at 9pm and why exactly?
In the same way that a geological watershed divides two drainage basins, a broadcasting watershed serves as a dividing line in a schedule between family-oriented programs, and programs aimed at or suitable for a more adult audience, such as those containing objectionable content (including graphic violence, profane language, and sexual intercourse, or strong references to those themes, even if they are not shown explicitly).
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Entries now closed
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Well? What's the hold-up?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Ok you lot

The names have been drawn, the pairs are known and Reg is working on the admin side of things.

News just in we have fixed one pairing and that is of

David / Asposium - Hull or Southampton
and
Emma / Waterrat - Cragg Vale (near Hebden bridge) or Lanzarote

Simply because both are thinking about 2 different destinations to ride, so we thought it only fair to pair these 2 together.

The rider last out of the pot who is paired with Stuart is.................

Full list out very soon (hurry up Reg)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Here’s the pairings then. The Extremely Complicated JC Algorithm worked like a dream and no Dominion Voting Systems were used in bringing you the result.

Search the list for your pairing and click on the link for your partner’s name, which will automatically bring up a Private Message screen tailored to them. Impressive eh? Thanks to Dave B for the tip, although the format doesn’t work for PM’s the same way as it does for normal posts so I had to tinker for a while.

Let each other know your preferred start point (eg approximate postcode), and any restrictions/preferences for the location of your GRs all of which must be on Rights Of Way or at other public places.

If you haven't heard from your partner by Thursday 17th, let JC or myself know and we'll try and find you another one.

Choose the ten GRs for your partner. Eg SK 123456, SN789012, etc. A good place to double-check them is GridReferenceFinder. Add them in turn with “Grid Reference” and “GO”, then “Show Points On OS Map”.

Before or on Thursday 24th: message your partner with the GRs you’ve cooked up for them.

Any questions, ask away. Or if you’re feeling shy, message JC or myself (‘Reg’)

No entry fee of course, but we think it would be nice if you felt able to chip in to either or both of our selected charities – they are the ones that Stu’s tormentors will be donating to when he simultaneously tours his GRs ( Time To get Revenge On Stuart).

Charity links, 10 seconds of your time:

The Wallich (Welsh version of Shelter): The Wallich – just one click. Tickbox for Gift Aid.

Shelter: Shelter – one click. Gift Aid.

Remember there’s a Commemorative Mug (‘commemorative’ in case you don’t make it back, and ‘mug’ – that’s you :smile: ). More info in a few days.

We’d like to mention that this event can only be a shadow of the Real Thing, and thank you to Stu for the inspiration behind it all.

Emma / Waterrat – Cragg Vale Hebden Bridge + Lanzarote with David / Asposium – Hull + Southampton

Bridget / Borderer – Hawick with Alan + Fraser (12) / Alan63 – Glasgow
Phil / htrider – Fife with Dawn / DawnA – Cairngorms
Sean / SeannyD – Fife with Colin / Scotroutes – Cairngorms

Brendan / Brendan – Kingston, London with Rob / woodsmith - Bawtry, S Yorks
Stu / middleagedmadness – Wolverhampton with Bob / K1100T – West Wratting, S Cambs
Nick / Copperbottom – Southampton with Andy / In Reverse – Manchester
Neil / composite – Birmingham with Tony / ton – Leeds
Ben / benp1 – Whetstone, London with SimonB / wurzel58dog – Bristol
Paul / Tonto – Daventry with Sean / sean_iow – Isle of Wight
‘Reg’ / RIP – Leighton Buzzard with Ang / AngW – Sheffield
Dave / Dave Pegler / Alpine VeloFes – Westergate, W Sussex with Verena / Verena – Brecon, Powys
Paul / paulboredmanbikes – South Merseyside with John / lazarus – Rivington, Lancs
Jeff / SummitToppler – Llandudno with Dave / Dave Barter - Brixham
Jason Hemingway / Jay_ACWR – Halifax, W Yorks with Taylor / Taylor – Nailsea, Somerset
Mo Guy / Moguy - Wimborne, Dorset with Chris / ChrisF – New Mills, Peak District
Anthony / Stumpym4 – East Riding, N Yorks with George / shutuplegs – Winchester
John / JohnClimber – North Merseyside with Malc / BrotherSmith – South Staffs
Nigel / mbnut – Maidstone, Kent with Bob n Cath / whitestone – Skipton
Mike / Mikep1972 – Warrington with Alec / Alec - N Shropshire
Javi / Javi – S Lake District with Kevin / Blackhound – Derby
Sarah + Helen / MagicHat – Glossop, High Peak with Mark / Barney – Wirral
Sean / tobasco – mid Shropshire with Dave / thenorthwind – Newcastle
Brian / Brian G – North Liverpool with Andy / techno – Hull
Tim / trob6 – Worcestershire with Charlie / CharlieCres – Surrey
Emma / Peas_E – Hull with Steve / slarge – Warwickshire
Adjustablewench + Gasman / adjustablewench – Sheffield with Paul / Sussex Paul – Haslemere, Surrey
Simon / siboy – Burwell, SE Cambs with Tim / TheBrownDog – Chalfont, Bucks
Shaf / Redefined_cycles - W Yorkshire with Ollie R / Spooky_b329 – Sussex
Sam / Sammy Surviver – Wigan with Stu / bearbonesnorm – Back End Of Beyond
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Seamless - well done chaps :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

To show it was all done above board here are some official photos

Last edited by JohnClimber on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks Stu. Not the Real Thing but a fair substitute hopefully.

( That first photo of JC's is me cracking up when selecting Sammy and you :grin: )

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

....Bugger....Nicely done chaps....Bugger....
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Just to remind everyone.
There are no rules, apart from you can't sleep in your house on the Saturday night (unless you really have to)
As a guide there are 10 pages on this thread which are worth reading for hints and tips of what it's all about.

How you swap info is up to yourselves, make contact through the forum but then if you prefer use WhatSapp, Intagram, Email, phone, messenger, pen and paper (although the post around here is shocking at the moment), it's your call.

Here's my area to send to Brothersmith
It shows the rough area where I live in the X and the rough area where I hope to bivi on the Saturday night circled.
Plus the boundary that I don't want to travel over.
How you do yours is totally up to you

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here's my area to send to Brothersmith
Look at all that blue #RaftWanker
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:22 pm ....Bugger....Nicely done chaps....Bugger....
:lol: Yep, must admit yours was a bit of a shocker when it popped out Jeff :lol:

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm. Two Fifers paired with two Cairngormers, who'd have thought it :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good job it wasn't 2 'Gormers and 2 Fifers together or you'd've bumped into each other on the way round!

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

htrider wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:45 pm Hmm. Two Fifers paired with two Cairngormers, who'd have thought it :grin:
Sorry but as there were only 6 north of the border we couldn't have 2 fifers riding the same GR's and the same for the Cairngorms.
It's you fault for asking for a north south divide no ours :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:22 pm ....Bugger....Nicely done chaps....Bugger....
You'll be fine Jeff

It's not as though Dave is an experienced bike rider or anything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dave-Barter/e/ ... scns_share

https://youtu.be/zKLnQgHtJQE

I'm sure you two will get along famously, you with your Welsh mountains and Dave with his coast line :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:58 pm Good job it wasn't 2 'Gormers and 2 Fifers together or you'd've bumped into each other on the way round!
:grin: We may still do just that!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Cheers Fellas Message sent
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m a pussy cat.....meooooooow
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Message sent to - Malc / BrotherSmith – South Staffs :-bd
Copperbottom

Post by Copperbottom »

Help!!
As a newbie. I have sent two messages one to RIP and one to my partner both are sat in my ‘outbox’ with nothing in sent? Have I done something wrong??
Thanks
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Copperbottom wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:44 pm Help!!
As a newbie. I have sent two messages one to RIP and one to my partner both are sat in my ‘outbox’ with nothing in sent? Have I done something wrong??
Thanks
No they stay there until read
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer