January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MagicHat

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by MagicHat »

Hello

Count me in please :)

Will ride as a pair, Sarah & Helen.
Based in Glossop, High Peak, Derbyshire

Thank :)
JohnClimber

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by JohnClimber »

MagicHat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:46 pm Hello

Count me in please :)

Will ride as a pair, Sarah & Helen.
Based in Glossop, High Peak, Derbyshire

Thank :)
Welcome, tune back in 2 weeks today to see who you've been paired with.
Your names on the list
Peas_E

Post by Peas_E »

Count me in, please

Emma @ Hull
waterrat

Post by waterrat »

ok.... fingers crossed, flights booked but change my location to Lanzarote
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

waterrat wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:25 pm ok.... fingers crossed, flights booked but change my location to Lanzarote
Where are you going in Lanzarote?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Test, pls ignore

TEST
Last edited by RIP on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just had a nice little chit-chat with our John, and we thought it was worth recapping the time line, apologies if it's all blindingly obvious already:

Sunday 13th Dec: JC & Reg get drunk and do the draw for who pairs with whom and post the list up on here for your perusal.

w/c 13th Dec: pairs contact each other using Private Message. Let each other know your start point (eg approximate postcode), and any restrictions/preferences for the location of your GRs (grid references), etc etc. Remember all GR's have to be on Rights Of Way or other publically-accessible places. That still leaves plenty of dead-ends, beaches, half-way across bridges, 20th floor of multi-storey carparks etc. Your partner will quite probably ignore your preferences.

Thursday 17th: if you haven't heard from your partner, let JC or me know and we'll try and find you another one.

Thursday 24th December: exchange GRs with your partner. Stu's solo GRs will also be made available to him (tee hee!) and no doubt sneaked up on here too.

24th December onwards: plot the GRs given to you and work out your route. Come up with a bivvy spot half way round, or return to your garden, or better still just wing it on the night somewhere. Have a very stiff drink when you see that your partner has in fact sent you to the 20th floor of your local multi-storey car park.

Saturday/Sunday 9th/10th January: get out there and suffer :-bd . When you get home, drink lots of tea and eat piles of cake and talk rubbish to yourself in an effort to recreate the conditions that would have pertained in Llanbrynmair School.

Monday 11th January: we'll create a thread for us to shock each other with all the gory details.

Rules? 1/ Don't be a D1ck (*). 2/ There's only one Rule. 3/ No, I was wrong, there's 3, and the third is Have Fun!

(*) Other anatomically-based insults are available

Weather etc? Well it can't be any worse than the Ford Fiesta Winter Event now can it? Oh yes it can...

(C Jack Thurston, permission received)

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. If any new recruits would like to get a flavour of how Winter Events have unfolded in the past, you could do worse than have a quick squint at last year's Dam Busters: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16062

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Following Reg and my chat last night

Just to let you know that this event will have...... mugs.......
For you to buy to rember the event by

To test the ordering process including delivery this very unique mug could be yours for just £11.38 including shipping

More details to follow over Christmas
RIP

Post by RIP »

I've even pre-paid the "design fee" for us! As JC says, a bit nearer Crimbo I can email the design PDF to anyone who fancies one, but no sneak previews until then, sorry :wink: .

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just to be sure.. is this a #danglemug?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:51 pm Just to be sure.. is this a #danglemug?
Good God no man,,,,
It's a work place office logo'ed type mug
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fair question. "In no way shape or form" :smile: .

"Any harm inconvenience consequential loss or embarrassment howsoever occasioned or caused resultant from external suspension or other attachment method or facility thereto of said drinking vessel from any velocipedal device or similar self-propelled conveyance shall be entirely at owner's risk who shall also renounce all claim or compensation against the provider of aforementioned libation receptacle pertaining to any damage loss or injury howsoever occasioned or caused".

Verena

Post by Verena »

Hmm....If I draw a 10ish mile radius around Brecon as my area, which I would if only I knew how to, then whoever gets picked to be my buddy could be either very lazy, or very mean, or even both, and just give me the BB200 route to do :shock:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

7 days left to get your name down on the list.

It's free, it will be cold, it will be dark, but it still counts as your first bivi of 2021.

Your own garden or shed are allowed, the only rule is that you cant sleep inside your own or anyone in your bubble or anyone else's house.

Oh and take pictures to share on here
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 pm still counts as your first bivi of 2021.
Assuming nobody bails out that'll be the largest-ever starting 'field' for a BaM year then I reckon... 56 finishers in Dec '21?!

Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Will the commemorative mug come with Dee's lemon drizzle cake recipe? If so you can put me down for one.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

John /Reg count me in , think I need to start next year off in the appropriate manner ( please whoever picks my grid refs do not include any toilet blocks for bivy spots as around this way they are frequented by even stranger people than myself and Reg)
Stu- middleagedmadness- Wolverhampton
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blackhound wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:25 am [get hold of] Dee's lemon drizzle cake recipe
Many have tried. All have failed.

:grin:

RIP

Post by RIP »

Blackhound wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:25 am If so you can put me down for one.
It'll be a self-service jobby... just awaiting a sample (arrives 15th Dec) then will stick a link here to their website.... would rather that way please or I'll become embroiled in a feline-shepherding situation :smile: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:28 pm John /Reg count me in , think I need to start next year off in the appropriate manner ( please whoever picks my grid refs do not include any toilet blocks for bivy spots as around this way they are frequented by even stranger people than myself and Reg)
Nice one Stu! The Man is back!

Will try and come up with a bog-block for February if you're available and we're allowed.

middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:07 pm
middleagedmadness wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:28 pm John /Reg count me in , think I need to start next year off in the appropriate manner ( please whoever picks my grid refs do not include any toilet blocks for bivy spots as around this way they are frequented by even stranger people than myself and Reg)
Available yes , no more weekends after middle of feb , Jesus I may even be back in for BAM next year :lol:

Nice one Stu! Will try and come up with a bog-block for February if you're available and we're allowed.
RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:10 pm Available yes , no more weekends after middle of feb , Jesus I may even be back in for BAM next year :lol:
Eggselent! Been away too long.

I've got this little vignette in my mind's [edit: apostrophe added JIT before Borderer spotted it] eye of the rest of us BaMmers sat huddled in a warm shed/toilet-block somewhere unpleasant with a storm blowing outside. Someone's listlessly fiddling about with their sleeping bag zip. Someone else with their chin in their hands let's out a little sigh. The wind and snow scream outside and reach a crescendo. Suddenly there's a stamping of feet upon the threshold. The door is flung back with a BANG! Snow flurries into the reeking room. The pathetically sputtering fire blows out instantly. There stands MaM soaked through, majestically clad in a sort of viking sheepskin thing (think King of Swamp Castle in Monty P & Holy Grail), backlit and silhouetted by a full-moon (*), holding a dripping seatpack, probably damp dog-end in mouth, hands on hips [edit: not easy whilst holding a seatpack as well :wink: ]: "RIGHT! I'm BACK! What's been going on here while I've been away! Let's be 'avin you. Is that a danglemug I can see over there?? We'll soon sort this out. YOU! Get out there and sleep in that ditch right now! You over there, I want to see that gas stove replaced by an 8g meths in the next 5 minutes or no porridge for you matey. And you'd better set fire to that table as well while you're at it" :-bd

(*) I expect there's a hill in the background with a wolf sat on its haunches howling long and mournfully. Would a flash of lightning be overdoing it?
Last edited by RIP on Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.

middleagedmadness

Yep , me and meths first thing of a morning not a great combo , can’t remember if it’s you , or Para mart that has the photo
And yep you can guarantee if I’m out it’s gonna p1ss down on us , roll on next year Mr Reg :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:50 pm can’t remember if it’s you , or Para mart that has the photo
I shall dig it out :smile: