Bonfire weekend bimble?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benconnolli

Bonfire weekend bimble?

Post by benconnolli »

So I basically never grew out of childish awe of fireworks. Anyone else interested in joining me on Saturday 7th November for a bivi based display? Obviously maximum of 5 people are allowed and no fires started by us.

Set off some time (2pm?) Saturday from a convenient point (I am starting from Stroud so it has to be near there), ride a bit, splash in some puddles, plonk ourselves on a hill with a decent view over potential back garden displays in the cities below (provisionally Crickley Hill over Cheltenham and Gloucester, or some hill in range of Bristol could work?). I prefer cooking up rather than pubs, especially how edgy they make me feel at the moment, plus would not want to miss any of the shows. Roll out in the morning.

Weather will be fine as it always is. Information is on a needs to know basis. It will be known exactly when it needs to be.
BigdummySteve

Re: Bonfire weekend bimble?

Post by BigdummySteve »

Ooo fireworks :-bd sounds like a plan! I’ll bring the hotdogs :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

A Bearbones Bonfire Bivi Bimble?...."Brilliant" idea :wink: :roll: :lol:

A national event, perhaps? :wink:
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

MuddyPete wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm A Bearbones Bonfire Bivi Bimble?...."Brilliant" idea :wink: :roll: :lol:

A national event, perhaps? :wink:
That would make it a BBBBi I think?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Ben. Certainly a more appealing prospect than the dilapidated shed I currently have my eye on for Nov.

BDS is trying to tempt me over there but will have to check things.

As MP sez, mebbes this could be a national effort? If I can't get over to Chelters, anyone on for a Chilterns equivalent - Ivinghoe Beacon for example?

Lordy, we've got 'Winter Bivvy' (Dec) groups all over the place mebbes this is the start of Bonfire Bivvies every Nov? I can't keep up.

Perhaps, no open fires obv, but we could each take a HoneyStove and a few sparklers to do our own 'bonfire' and 'fireworks'....

Like it Ben, like it :-bd .
Last edited by RIP on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

National event sounds grand. It's a great opportunity to bivi within range of cities.

If BDS is bringing the hot dogs then does that make it a BBBBBBQBI?

Sparklers would make a good event of it.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

I've spent hundreds of £££'s with these chaps over the past few years... :grin: (I've no affiliation, just a very happy customer).
https://5nov.com
Fantastic Fireworks (Pepperstock, nr Dunstable and M40 Jn 8a), for parties that go with a "bang" :-bd .
Just remember to LNT and pick up the debris the next morning...OK? :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Should be able to get us a nice discount then Pete :smile: .

Thank you to Ben for allowing the idea to be licensed/franchised :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

25% off some, ATM. :grin:
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

as all the big organised firework displays have been called off, I was considering going up to Alexandra Palace (North London) for a cracking view across the city but hadn't considered doing a bivvy up there but might get away with one although I imagine loads of people will have the same idea to go up there to watch fireworks.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ally Pally will need a particularly stealthy bivy because it's a very popular spot. Personally I'd head for somewhere quieter and enjoy the option to chill out a bit more
RIP

Post by RIP »

Urban bivvies do hold a certain cachet and prestige; a little more skill and planning required perhaps, but satisfying if you can pull them off :smile: . Would make a good photo - tarp with the City twinkling away in the background?

(Crossed you there Ben.. obviously it's your manor so you know the pitfalls there!)

Verena

Post by Verena »

I like it! I know just the spot...nice slopey filed close to edge of town with a view over hopefully some fireworks in people's houses. Count me in.
Speaking of stealth and urban bivvies, I've recently remembered that as a teenager, I used to have this idea about sleeping/living on a traffic island (I know, strange kid). Anyone done that? It's on my list of places to bivvy...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:59 pm idea about sleeping/living on a traffic island
Excellent! You've broken cover now of course, so you're stuck with it :wink: .

An idea I had was to bivvy in each of Milton Keynes's "blocks". Trouble is there's about sixty of them, so that would use up 5 years of my BaM allocation. Needs a bit more thought.

benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I got this idea from doing the same at new years eve. Went to a fab spot, so fab that plenty of other people were also there. Everyone kept respectable distances and just sat with their bobble hats making silhouettes against the skyline. Having sleep kit meant that I had a comfy seat and was not cold, everyone soon dispersed back to their warm houses when the show was over and I had it to myself, as far as I could tell anyway. A definite win for bivi bags compared to tarps or tents. Guess bike security may be mildly more concerning if there are people lingering, but I did it on an old banger which relieved that.
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:22 pm
Verena wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:59 pm idea about sleeping/living on a traffic island

An idea I had was to bivvy in each of Milton Keynes's "blocks". Trouble is there's about sixty of them, so that would use up 5 years of my BaM allocation. Needs a bit more thought.
Ha ha, yes indeed, it shall be my festive December BAM, about as romantic as five years of Milton Keynes 😉
Verena

Post by Verena »

Verena wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:42 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:22 pm
Ha ha, yes indeed, it shall be my festive December BAM, about as romantic as five years of Milton Keynes 😉
This one has taken my fancy....thinking maybe sooner rather than later, while there are still some leaves left on the trees....oh and I think I've finally worked out how to post pictures :-bd

Image2020-10-23_12-11-00 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
psling

Post by psling »

Verena wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:59 pm Speaking of stealth and urban bivvies, I've recently remembered that as a teenager, I used to have this idea about sleeping/living on a traffic island (I know, strange kid). Anyone done that? It's on my list of places to bivvy...
I did it once in the late 70s. Canterbury if I remember rightly, no bikes involved, I was hitch-hiking to India! :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I used to have this idea about sleeping/living on a traffic island (I know, strange kid). Anyone done that?
I remember, as a student in Sheffield in the early '90s, someone camping on Hunter's Bar roundabout on Eccleshall Rd. For a few days I think.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sigh. This plan's out the window now then.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:27 pm Sigh. This plan's out the window now then.
On the contrary: Backyard Boner Bonfire Bivi Bimbles are GO! :-bd

At least landowners' bonfire & firework display permission shouldn't be a problem. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting. Trying to work out which contorted combo of BaM and Boris Rules might apply...

And as (endlessly) discussed last time, Having Fun may be poor form and attract frowns.

I've not been paying attention though. Does 'from Thursday' mean from Thursday or on Thursday. If the former, maybe a last hurrah is allowed but even so one feels slightly uneasy about Having Fun :roll: .

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:42 pm I've not been paying attention though. Does 'from Thursday' mean from Thursday or on Thursday.
The PM's announcement said Parliament is debating and voting on the emergency BaM rules on Wednesday :-O , so stay tuned for further BJ announcements in the next few days... :-)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah OK, ta Pete. Will stay tuned then! Maybe have a chance of firing a rocket out through my Gatewood's hood after all - bit like Thunderbird 3 taking off :smile: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

So are we still doing this? Tonight? Saturday? Both? Not at all?