Anyone around Herts/ northern Chilterns?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HarryM

Anyone around Herts/ northern Chilterns?

Post by HarryM »

Hi all,

After years of biking and years of camping, it's time to combine the two! I'm hoping to find local folk that would be up for an initial one night outing. I'm based in Aldbury at the northern end of the Chilterns. Anyone else around here?
Cheers,
/Harry.
RIP

Re: Anyone around Herts/ northern Chilterns?

Post by RIP »

Ahem, a load of us were in Aldbury on Saturday and rode north to Leighton Buzzard area - see "Today's Ride" thread.

Didn't you spot a bunch of tramps with bikes near the pond? :smile: .

I'm in Leighton Linslade, so's another chap, two in Berko, one in Risboro, one in Chalfont etc. Various others further afield also part of our mob.

Keep an eye out for future "Chilterns" rides or PM me your email/phone?

Be warned though, we have a certain reputation in This Place ;).

'Reg'
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

What kind of a reputation might that be?!

PM coming your way... thanks!
RIP

Post by RIP »

HarryM wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:46 pm What kind of a reputation might that be?!
Difficult to know where to start :lol: .

Nah, we're all jolly good eggs really and I'm sure you'd be made very welcome.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

If you search for
Chilterns+Spring+Thing,
Chilterns+Winter+Bivi,
Circumnavigate Stevenage and
"Smashed avocado on sourdough toast, accompanied by a small cappuccino" you'll get the idea :wink:

Bivi-a-month 2018 for Sun 04 Feb 2018 was full of silliness, too :lol: .
May you always have tail wind.
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

I'm starting to get the picture!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

And not to forget the infamous 2019 Three Lions Tour, which we must look at again this year. But maybe with horses.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14695&hilit=chilterns+winter+bivvy
I'm just going outside ...
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Morning all,

Also based fairly local, Great Brickhill and also cycling buddies live in Dunstable :-bd

Cycling has been taking a bit of a back seat lately for myself due to new job shift pattern I started in September :sad: We keep talking about planning a couple of overnighters locally so would be good to hear from other like minded crazies ! Also been looking at riding the Ridgeway aswell if any of you have done this ? Couple of us are Stooge riders so quite possible we have crossed paths previously possibly

Cheers and maybe get to speak soon

Mark
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Blimey! Great Brickhill's been my lockdown local ride area the past few months :grin:.
The Old Red Lion is where TheBrownDog, Rich3rd and I came up with the "Three Lions Tour". Lovely view from the beer garden, too.
Small world :lol:.
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah same 'ere, steamed through last weekend with Ben n James (or was it Ben and Jerry?)on way from Woburn down to the canal. Guess we can advertise any little rides on this thread.

Probably wise, Mark, to read some of those links before you commit to anything though :wink: .

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:30 am Yeah same 'ere, steamed through last weekend with Ben n James (or was it Ben and Jerry?)on way from Woburn down to the canal. Guess we can advertise any little rides on this thread.

Probably wise, Mark, to read some of those links before you commit to anything though :wink: .
Now now Reg we’ll have none of that steaming through malarkey , obviously my absence has made you forget that we bumble along at a leisurely pace stopping for the odd smoke or 40 whilst eyeing up the drinking establishments that will have us , steaming along tut tut [-X
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thank Olga you're back matey - quite correct to pull me up there. What am I thinking of! I'm missing your bad influence that's the problem :grin: .

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ahem, we still managed two beer stops, three if you count the last one in the woods. Not bad considering the pubs were shut!
Last edited by benp1 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've ridden with you lot enough to know that every moment on the bike in that particular group would have been like an enduro event. The top of that hill may be reached in 5 minutes if you like breathing through your ears, but it will also still be there next week. MAM has it right: release your inner bimble.
I'm just going outside ...
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I'm in north west London and have been known to venture out to the Chilterns on occasion. I'd be up for a ride out and bivy sometime.
May satan walk with you
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

benp1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:05 pm Ahem, we still managed two beer stops, three if you can't the bivy spot. Not back considering the pubs were shut!
I new someone wouldn’t let the team down , Ben, Tim , Reg ,Ben it will be good to catch up sometime this year but the only time I can guarantee will be the winter bivy as I’ve booked that off , maybe a boarder raid or yous can show me some of that southern hospitality just none of that funny food you’d eat down there :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good grief MaM, surely you're not suggesting that we have a Chilterns Winter Bivvy in the Chilterns?? :lol: .

Yeah 'course we could, it's just that the Lure Of The Mynd took over for a while. Then again, we still haven't done the proposed Chilterns Winter Bivvy in Scotland yet.....

Now Ben mentions it, I do vaguely remember the odd refreshment stop last weekend I must admit......

jameso

Post by jameso »

Hi Harry, I'm another in Berkhamsted, will probably see you on one of the local rides sometime.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Hi Harry.
Am based in North Herts/Beds.
Probably just about within your area.
Insanity over vanity
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ssnowman wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:53 pm I'm in north west London and have been known to venture out to the Chilterns on occasion. I'd be up for a ride out and bivy sometime.
Whereabouts in NW London are you?
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Hendon. Where are you?
May satan walk with you
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ssnowman wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:00 pm Hendon. Where are you?
You're close, I'm round the corner in Whetstone. We probably ride the same off road paths :-bd
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

benp1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 pm
You're close, I'm round the corner in Whetstone. We probably ride the same off road paths :-bd
Unfortunately not much off road around here. It's frustrating because there are lots of footpaths around Totteridge, but very few bridle paths. I usually do a little bit locally or head out to Epping forest for some singletrack.
May satan walk with you
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ssnowman wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:23 pm
benp1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 pm
Unfortunately not much off road around here. It's frustrating because there are lots of footpaths around Totteridge, but very few bridle paths. I usually do a little bit locally or head out to Epping forest for some singletrack.
Yeah I tend to do Totteridge/Mill Hill/Barnet/Trent Park, I just ride the footpaths - I tend to go around 8:30-9 onwards and there's no one around, I obviously have to use lights. I went out last night and it was deserted, it was very wet but wouldn't be that different in the dry. The riding's not great but it's still fun to get out for a couple of hours or so. Happy to show you those paths one evening, PM if interested
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Looking to ride about 40km off-road/ mixed surface from Aldbury, bunker down for a night then ride home. Any off the shelf itineraries anyone has? Cheers