Anyone around Herts/ northern Chilterns?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Anyone around Herts/ northern Chilterns?

Post by RIP »

Unfortunately "off the shelf" isn't our strong point :smile: . More sort of "rough idea then change it about ten times as we go along".

However, personally I'd head either north or west. Dig a map out and join these places up with as many bridleways as you can (and there's plenty of them in those directions):

North: Aldbury - Westland Farm - Pitstone Hill - Pitstone - Ivinghoe - Ivinghoe Aston - Totternhoe - Dunstable Downs - Totternhoe - Stanbridge - Clipstone - Heath & Reach - Rushmere Park - Great Brickhill - Woburn Woods (bivvy). Woburn Woods - Great Brickhill - Stoke Hammond - Soulbury - Wing - Crafton - Cheddington - Horton Wharf - Ivinghoe Aston - Ivinghoe - Aldbury.

West: Aldbury - Cow Roast - Wigginton - Hastoe - Hale Wood - Wendover - Smalldene Farm - Dunsmoor - Buckmore End - Longdown Farm - Princes Risboro - Hemley Hill - Crownfield - Routs Green - Town End - Crowell Hill - Aston Wood - Watlington Hill - How Hill - Cookley Green - Greenfield Wood (bivvy). Then there's loads of bridleways parallel to that route for the return.

Just some ideas :smile: . Or, just point your compass north or west and see what happens!
Last edited by RIP on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

RIP wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:10 pm Unfortunately "off the shelf"
What is this off the shelf you speak of reg? Is it another name for we’re starting here going there (possibly) but not sure the in between bits ? I really need to get out and get thinking in terms of cafes and pubs for route planning :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

GPX file, I reckon. Come on you lot. Someone MUST have a route up or down loaded or whatever it is that people who do route planning and recording call it. I dunno. Round this patch though it's not easy to put together a good off road route without a lot of local knowledge.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:32 pm
RIP wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:10 pm Unfortunately "off the shelf"
I really need to get out and get thinking in terms of cafes and pubs for route planning :-bd
Is there another way then? I'm intrigued! (*)
gpx file
Don't understand your banter old boy :smile: . I do vaguely remember someone using this term when referencing our original Chilterns Crimbo Outings so I guess one of the lads will be in possession of this "gpx file" of which you speak.

(*) I must admit that our Toilet Block Route Planning Ploy came up with a corking set of rides ole mate! Apart from that and C's & P's I can't think of any other methods TBH.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

This is all good stuff, keep it coming, especially with any handy GPX! Thanks
jameso

Post by jameso »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:49 pm GPX file, I reckon. Come on you lot. Someone MUST have a route up or down loaded or whatever it is that people who do route planning and recording call it. I dunno. Round this patch though it's not easy to put together a good off road route without a lot of local knowledge.
HarryM wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:32 am This is all good stuff, keep it coming, especially with any handy GPX! Thanks
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33381463 - here you go - I'll not leave it up on my RWGPS as public for too long but it's a good start point, includes some of what may have been ridden on a winter bivi before. It's all quite figure-8 and following it in the 'right' direction might be tricky but it's all good for getting to know the area. I'm sure there's a few sections in this GPX that are better going the other way and I ride most of the trails I know in either direction at times. A great way to explore is with a map like this on screen and following the line here and there, going off route and back on, etc.
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

That's brilliant, thanks so much. I've downloaded it now.