Dales Divide back on 29th August... yay (but is it still accessible!)

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Dales Divide back on 29th August... yay (but is it still accessible!)

Post by redefined_cycles »

:grin: Yay... (Edit)

Just seen the email

Who's going btw :grin: hope i can make if through as i think I'm still bookedfrom before
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
whitestone

Re: Dales Divide back on... yay

Post by whitestone »

Depends on the Wales situation and whether the WRT is on. Pretty much everything is going to be rescheduled for that weekend.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:45 pm Depends on the Wales situation and whether the WRT is on. Pretty much everything is going to be rescheduled for that weekend.
Which event have you and Cath decided on pls Bob (all being well)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Book 'em all and pop in on each of them and get the best of all worlds :wink: .

Nope, I know exactly where I shall be, without a scintilla of doubt :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 pm Book 'em all and pop in on each of them and get the best of all worlds :wink: .

Nope, I know exactly where I shall be, without a scintilla of doubt :-bd .
Bb200?? Do tell pls Reg
RIP

Re: Dales Divide back on 29th August... yay

Post by RIP »

Re-arrange the initial letters of Rutland Weekend Television (*) and you'll get there :smile: .

(*) now there was a series for afficionados of baffling eccentricity :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:25 pm Re-arrange the initial letters of Rutland Weekend Television (*) and you'll get there :smile: .

(*) now there was a series for afficionados of baffling eccentricity :-bd
Lol... welsh thing.. if thats back on i might just take my little one...
redefined_cycles

https://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2020/Dales-Divide

Just found a writeup for last years Dales Divide. Sewms to have onw of our very own BBers at the bottom too...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Well, after a lot of dithering and back and forth in my head, I've put myself back in for this. I was in for the original event as part of a grand plan of events for this year and next, and then something came and ruined everything :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 pm Sewms to have onw of our very own BBers at the bottom too...
There's 9 BBers in the group shot at the start maybe more :smile: Also, that's me and Alan G in the picture under the sign at Chris's house - I'm in my blue windproof and Alan has the rucksack on. I rode with Duncan for a bit on the first day, he's a really nice nipper, and fast on the downhills. I got a top 10 on strava on a downhill as I was trying to keep up with him, that might be the only time I've made the top 10 on a downhill segment :smile:

Hopefully the weather will be as good as last year, well maybe not quite as hot as we had it on the first day, that was a bit too hot.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I'd initially thought yay, excellent.

I'm now coming around to the thinking that a group start is not the right thing to do. OK everyone will spread out but day 1 and 2 will be mad at the first obvious cafés.

I'll either bail, do it early or do my own thing.

To be decided.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If the route is the same as last year it was uphill straight from the start so we spread out pretty quickly. I also don't remember there being any cafés on the first day, I didn't stop at any anyway, so don't right off joining the group start just yet.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

If that's the decision you come to, then I would respect you for doing what you think is the right thing.

That said, I don't really see it being a problem. My impression is that not many people will be stopping for very long. If the weather's good, it's a bank holiday weekend and the cafes will likely be mad with the usual daytrippers, and so most DDers will probably try to avoid them? I don't feel like the group will be adding significant numbers.

My very limited experience of group starts is that by the time anyone's considering stopping, the group will be well strung out. Jennride is probably the closest thing I've done to a group start ITT: considerably more people, though no specific start time. After an hour or so, seeing other Jennriders becomes increasingly rare, IME.

Not trying to convince you to change your mind - just my thoughts.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I should add I wasn't trying to change your mind, just pointing out that of all the group starts I've done the DD spread out the quickest.
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 pm .... Sewms to have onw of our very own BBers at the bottom too...
That's Andy / in reverse.
redefined_cycles

techno wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:15 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 pm .... Sewms to have onw of our very own BBers at the bottom too...
That's Andy / in reverse.
Yup... only met him once (whizzing past on the BB200 but he did stop briefly to rode side by side for a 29 second chat) won't forget :-bd

I'm comitted anyway. Already told the chaps (at Brothers on Bikes) that I'll bw doing it nd joined their littlw chat group so I can keep updates daily (to keep me sane and vent off and who knows, maybe encourage em a little!)...

Gonna do it for charity (Human Rights amnesty international types called Cage who I did for the bb200) to wnaure I try my bestest to not drop out...

Thanks Andy
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

fatbikerbill wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:01 pm I'd initially thought yay, excellent.

I'm now coming around to the thinking that a group start is not the right thing to do. OK everyone will spread out but day 1 and 2 will be mad at the first obvious cafés.

I'll either bail, do it early or do my own thing.

To be decided.
Will depend on numbers I guess Bill but it was a good few hours in before people started stopping (?) last year. I stopped at the pub in Austwick and then the cafe in Feizor and was the only rider at both. There are hardly any cafes but a decent-ish number of pubs so I don't think things will be as bad as you think. If a couple of hundred riders rock up at the start line however then things will be vastly different obvs :lol:

Sounds like you might be more comfortable doing it as an ITT? You get to choose the weather that way too. :-bd
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 pm https://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2020/Dales-Divide

Just found a writeup for last years Dales Divide. Sewms to have onw of our very own BBers at the bottom too...
I am the short one with the red face next to the flagpole....still finished it though....... :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:42 am Sounds like you might be more comfortable doing it as an ITT? You get to choose the weather for the first 2 hours that way too. :-bd
FTFY :wink:
redefined_cycles

Re: Dales Divide back on 29th August... yay (but is it still accessible!)

So... The question is to anyone that manages to keep up with all the advice/guidelines/BS/suggestions/rules (delete as appropriate). Am I right in saying that due to me being in Kirklees, but the DD taking part out of it, means that unless restrictions ease off I'll be unable to attend :???:

If you think you know the answer but don't feel you've managed to keep up with all the stuff coming out at funny times, then please also feel free to respond. Eagerly await your response??

:smile:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I thought the restrictions were just about meeting indoors? So you're good to go. If anyone asks just say you are testing your eyesight :wink:
redefined_cycles

Thanks Sean... seems like different sources (I read The Independent) are stating different things. Would be good if the ( idiotic) govt could get their own facts straight and coordinated (then maybe the papers could get it a bit right too).

:smile:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Shaf don't read the paper (or any news platform) regarding COVID-19. I've had great insight into the world of media for the past 5 months and it's scary. Go to the govt website and check there. Being on the trail I'm not up-to-date but if your struggling I can find out for you.

All being well I'm looking forward to this :-bd
redefined_cycles

Karl wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:16 am Shaf don't read the paper (or any news platform) regarding COVID-19. I've had great insight into the world of media for the past 5 months and it's scary. Go to the govt website and check there. Being on the trail I'm not up-to-date but if your struggling I can find out for you.

All being well I'm looking forward to this :-bd
Lol... ok mate. You know the govt websites are almost lile the papers with their form of communication. Yup, still looking forward (maybe not as much as the rest of everyone as it'll be my first multi day beyond 200km... I suppose its not Wales but Dales is pretty steep!)... :smile:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The Govt website is clear on the guidance Shaf. Rules for the north of England are here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/north-west- ... -cannot-do

If you're riding on your own there should be nothing there that affects you.