Dales Divide back on 29th August... yay (but is it still accessible!)

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Re: Dales Divide back on 29th August... yay (but is it still accessible!)

Post by ton »

has anyone got a gpx for the route, please.

assuming there is one.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Tony. Send me you email and I'll send you what the last email was in which I believe he's also added the route too. If not I'll send you the one Chris sent previous emails
ton

Post by ton »

emailed you mate
redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:02 amemailed you mate
Sent..
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

I've been looking it detail at the route. Two questions that I have, in case anybody might have an answer here:

1. at 206km there are some gates to access the National Trust property, Beningbrough Hall. Those will be closed at night-time. In which case, I presume taking New Road just to the east would be the appropriate route to take

2. in some places the GPX track doesn't seem to follow roads very closely, due to the points not being very granular. So when viewing places like York using RidewithGPS, it looks like it might get difficult to follow the routed path. I know some places like York are designated as free-routing so it might not matter too much there, but my slight niggle is that there may be issues elsewhere that will take a bit of time to resolve. Are others finding the same, and any advise?

I'm looking forward to the event, and hope it turns out to be a superb long weekend.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

AndrewT wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:19 pm I've been looking it detail at the route. Two questions that I have, in case anybody might have an answer here:

1. at 206km there are some gates to access the National Trust property, Beningbrough Hall. Those will be closed at night-time. In which case, I presume taking New Road just to the east would be the appropriate route to take

2. in some places the GPX track doesn't seem to follow roads very closely, due to the points not being very granular. So when viewing places like York using RidewithGPS, it looks like it might get difficult to follow the routed path. I know some places like York are designated as free-routing so it might not matter too much there, but my slight niggle is that there may be issues elsewhere that will take a bit of time to resolve. Are others finding the same, and any advise?

I'm looking forward to the event, and hope it turns out to be a superb long weekend.
I'm not sure those gates do get closed. We went through at about 8am on the Saturday and they were open. None of the riders who rode straight through the Friday night nor the ones who were through earlier than us on the Saturday mentioned them being closed. They might be though so yes - that other road to the east would be a perfectly reasonable way round.

Both my Garmins followed the route almost entirely without a hitch. The only point where I (and I think a few other people) got messed up has been removed from this year's route. "Cumboots Brow" can f**king c**ting get fu**ed. When I got into York I just followed Google Maps to get to Subway. :grin:

It's a superb weekend's riding. I'm not currently planning on doing it again but just spending ten minutes looking back over the route has set me all a-quiver.

The first day is tough as a bastard.

You'll love it. :-bd
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:07 am ...

The first day is tough as a bastard.

You'll love it. :-bd
Thank you for the route advice, and peace of mind that the GPX track works fine.

I'm looking forward to the start, and getting stuck in to that first day.
robbie

Post by robbie »

So all going to plan I should be in arnside tomorrow evening. Any recomendations where to covertly park (not sure that can be done as it is bright green)
and sleep in my van?
Also is anyone going to be around for a beer :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'll be parking up in Arnside tonight Robbie but I'm planning to arrive quite late, otherwise I'd be tempted for a beer. From a quick look on Google Streetview, it doesn't look like it'll be difficult to find somewhere - there's a big parking area right on the front, and more on-street parking on the road going up to the station which isn't right outside people's houses. Will look out for a green van in the morning. I'm in a blue/grey Berlingo, which from the sound of it will blend right in in Arnside :lol:
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

I’m staying outside of Arnside tonight. Will arrive early tomorrow to get the bike setup. Bit chilly up here!
robbie

Post by robbie »

Well that's me out.😡 Just filling the van with fuel and happened to glance down at back tyre to notice it's bloody through to the canvass. Other side is nearly as bad and only have 1 spare and tyre garages are closed! Paid far too much attention to the bike and never gave the van a second thought!! Oh well looks like I'm doing something from my door tomorrow seeing as the bike is all kitted up anyway.
redefined_cycles

robbie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:03 pm Well that's me out.😡 Just filling the van with fuel and happened to glance down at back tyre to notice it's bloody through to the canvass. Other side is nearly as bad and only have 1 spare and tyre garages are closed! Paid far too much attention to the bike and never gave the van a second thought!! Oh well looks like I'm doing something from my door tomorrow seeing as the bike is all kitted up anyway.
Don't worry... I was out before you already :lol: am doing summat from my door too (to the peaks via road and back on Sunday eve or monday morn...) :-bd sorry to hear bout the tyre
robbie

Post by robbie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:18 pm
robbie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:03 pm Well that's me out.😡 Just filling the van with fuel and happened to glance down at back tyre to notice it's bloody through to the canvass. Other side is nearly as bad and only have 1 spare and tyre garages are closed! Paid far too much attention to the bike and never gave the van a second thought!! Oh well looks like I'm doing something from my door tomorrow seeing as the bike is all kitted up anyway.
Don't worry... I was out before you already :lol: am doing summat from my door too (to the peaks via road and back on Sunday eve or monday morn...) :-bd sorry to hear bout the tyre
Cheers
But really fecked off now been on my calender for ages. Just wish I'd noticed earlier today as could have had it sorted.
redefined_cycles

At least the Bearbones200 is on and you van travel there in style with a new tyre :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ah mate, that's a proper **** situation. Whereabouts are you? Will help with a lift if I can - though you might have to bivvy if you can't sort accommodation - room in the Berlingo is at a premium (plus I'm about to have a curry so you wouldn't want to share :lol: ).
robbie

Post by robbie »

Perth Scotland
Its about 3.5 hours drive. If it was only an hour I'd risk it. But not worth the consequences of a blow out or 3 points.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ah shame... could give you a lift from Carlisle but that's not much help is it?

Maybe an alternative: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17983 ?
robbie

Post by robbie »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:09 pm Ah shame... could give you a lift from Carlisle but that's not much help is it?

Maybe an alternative: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17983 ?
Cheers mate.
I'm down but not out. Managed to get a mobile tyre fitter that says he has stock. Due at my house in next 15 mins hopefully.
Its turning into an expensive Friday night and will be later than planned so no beer but should make it🙏👍 whoop
I've sent u a pm
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sounds promising :-bd

Can't read your PM for some reason:
You are not authorised to read private messages that are on hold.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:09 pm Sounds promising :-bd

Possible you've filled your PM buffer. You'll need to delete a few old ones.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:37 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:09 pm Sounds promising :-bd

Possible you've filled your PM buffer. You'll need to delete a few old ones.
Cheers, yeah I've figured that out now (why doesn't it just say that?!) and deleted some but Robbie's is still "on hold".

About to set off now, hope you get sorted Robbie.
robbie

Post by robbie »

:-bd arrived
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

robbie wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:30 am:-bd arrived
Great news. Hope you’re all set for an enjoyable ride now.
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

Great to meet you on Saturday morning Robbie. How did your ride go?

I misjudged the pace I was able to ride in that terrain ... in retrospect I should have aimed for 3 days +. As it was I had a great time over 3 days. First day was a hard slog, getting to Summerbridge around 10pm, with soaking feet from an earlier bog that necessitated walking in the dark. I knew then I wasn’t going to be able to ride the full route in my available time, so diverted down to Harrogate for a hotel where I could dry out. I then cut across to join the alternative route, and then down to Northallerton. For the final day I opted for a road route back to Arnside as I wanted the certainty of a reasonable finish to my riding day.

I’ll definitely ride it again, but allow a more realistic amount of time. Those gates certainly sucked out a lot of time, and the going was on the heavy side.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Glad you made it Robbie.

My intentions before the ride were about halfway between bimbling around in holiday mode and self flagellation, but it ended up more towards the latter. Towards the end of day 1, a group of three of us (inc. Tim who's on here) coalesced and stayed together til the bitter end in the early hours of Monday.

Bivvied just past Summerbridge after a Spar-shredding dinner on Saturday night, up at 4, breakfast at the Golden Arches restaurant in York, chippy tea in Scarborough (wasn't expecting the east coast section to take that long :shock: ) then a chilly bivvy just outside Goathland, getting a couple of NYM climbs in the bag. Up at 4 on Sunday again, but didn't drop off the Moors till about 1 o'clock. By that point, even I was beginning to reluctantly believe that pushing through the night was possible, and a Chinese and replenishment of the snack horde in Leyburn perked me up, as did some nice rideable climbing up onto Harkerside and then Preston Moor. After that we just kept riding, apart from a brief stop in the (heated!) waiting room on Dent Station to make a coffee, but with the couple of frustratingly unnecessary boggy/s****y pushes in the last 30 miles, made it home about 5.30.

Satisfied to have got round sub 3 days - not a route I'm going to be repeating verbatim anytime soon, but there was some fantastic riding.