Cairngorms Loop 300 - September Group Start?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Cairngorms Loop 300 - September Group Start?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Assuming that travel and recreation restrictions are lifted, was anyone planning a round this September (or even August)? I'll not be repeating last year, just trying to come up with a suitable date for the website.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Re: CL300 - September Group Start?

Post by fatbikephil »

Mebbes aye, mebbes no. Quite fancy it but I currently seem incapable of committing to anything (I also fancy the B350). Would probably rather do it in August for max daylight but I guess it depends on how it all pans out.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Blair Horse Trials have already been cancelled this year. They'd normally be on the last (Bank Holiday) weekend in August. That might open up a possibility.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Funnily enough that was the weekend I did my ITT back in 2014. I'll pencil it in as the more I think about it the more I'd like to take another wander round the whole lot.
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

I suppose we have the option of midges in August or slightly cooler in September, either way I'm back again this year
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm thinking 1st weekend in September. I was planning to be at the start to see everyone off, not riding it again this year. I should really put something on the website (and the new Facebook page).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

So Colin, are you now chief routemaster of this?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, standing in for Steve temporarily.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:25 pm Yeah, standing in for Steve temporarily.
:-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've set a date of 12th September.

The new website is active and now contains that group start date.
www.cairngormsloop.net

Entries to steve@cairngormsloop.net as usual.

Iv'e also set up a Facebook page for the purpose of sharing information, photos etc.

https://www.facebook.com/CairngormsLoop
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Ooh, just spotted the “paper maps” page on the website. Nice! :-bd
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Oh, FB page too smart.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Piemonster wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:50 am Ooh, just spotted the “paper maps” page on the website. Nice! :-bd
Yeah, that might have copyright implications.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm quite interested in this, assuming travel, accommodation etc. is back to normal. I don't really know much about the route so I have some questions;-

Other than the Fords of Avon are there other crossings that might be impassable after prolonged/heavy rainfall?

Obviously given how this year has panned out making predictions is just about impossible, but in a typical year in September how likely are the river crossings to be an issue?

The reason I ask is it's over 1000 mile round trip from my house to the start so it would be a shame to drive all that way and have to abandon due to an impassible water course.

Finally, which bike, fully rigid singlespeed or Spearfish with 1x11? I think I already know the sensible choice :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:52 pm I'm quite interested in this, assuming travel, accommodation etc. is back to normal. I don't really know much about the route so I have some questions;-

Other than the Fords of Avon are there other crossings that might be impassable after prolonged/heavy rainfall?

Obviously given how this year has panned out making predictions is just about impossible, but in a typical year in September how likely are the river crossings to be an issue?

The reason I ask is it's over 1000 mile round trip from my house to the start so it would be a shame to drive all that way and have to abandon due to an impassible water course.

Finally, which bike, fully rigid singlespeed or Spearfish with 1x11? I think I already know the sensible choice :grin:
Fords of Avon is obviously the biggy but we all got stymied by the Allt Gharbh Ghaig last September. The Burn of Brown has also proved problematic in the past. Rain on the 224 hours leading up to last Septembers GS was exceptional though and the water levels had returned to almost normal levels 36 hours later.

Spearfish.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks. Do I need to include my palmares to get a place of just say I'd like one?

Didn't want to just email and not get a place but equally sending a long list of the events I'm the singlespeed record holder on seems a bit big headed if not required :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's not exactly been massively popular the past few years. A dozen or so riders. I can't foresee that changing anytime soon, though who knows now that I'm going to start spamming everywhere with it :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There was a blog post titled somewhere along the lines of "Thirteen rivers to cross" about the CL.

Which burn is the Allt Garbh Gaig? Two years ago the Fords of Avon was high (Colin's used my pic of Ian Fitz to show just how high) but the burns on the way down from the Lairig Laoigh to the Linn of Dee were just as hairy. Less than twenty hours later crossing the Geldie was a doddle.

Have they finished work on the Red Hut yet?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Grid Ref
NN 75742 83473

Just before Gaick Lodge. If you saw any of Jennys video from last year, that's where we all (except Howard) decided to turn back.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:32 pm Rain on the 224 hours leading up to last Septembers GS was exceptional though...
I'd have thought over 9 days' rain would be ample advance warning!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Landslide wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:23 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:32 pm Rain on the 224 hours leading up to last Septembers GS was exceptional though...
I'd have thought over 9 days' rain would be ample advance warning!
LOL. Yeah, it felt like that when I was up to my balls crossing that river!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:32 pm Spearfish.
I've just re-read you blog from 2019, the Spearfish seems like the right choice :-bd
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:04 pm It's not exactly been massively popular the past few years. A dozen or so riders. I can't foresee that changing anytime soon, though who knows now that I'm going to start spamming everywhere with it :lol:
I've manged to get a place :grin:

https://www.cairngormsloop.net/group-ride-list
ScotRoutes

Re: Cairngorms Loop 300 - September Group Start?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've just re-read you blog from 2019, the Spearfish seems like the right choice
Jenny Graham lined up on her gravel bike.

But, you know, Jenny...
Lazarus

Re: Cairngorms Loop 300 - September Group Start?

Post by Lazarus »

I've manged to get a place
If it stays like this you just "won" your second race :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:52 pm I'm quite interested in this, assuming travel, accommodation etc. is back to normal. I don't really know much about the route so I have some questions;-

https://philsbikepacking.blogspot.com/2 ... ivers.html
Sorry its a bit of a pot boiler so to summarise, river crossings could end up being a major problem at any time of year....