Cairngorms Loop 300 - September Group Start?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Cairngorms Loop 300 - September Group Start?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'll ensure there's an accurate/updated GPS file available before the event.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

bigtalljohn wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 pm Just had a rather large gin and tonic and wondering what are the routes around feshie as I don't have a clue and always just followed the gps
Or
:???:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

By the time I'm at Feshie my feet have been wet for so long I don't notice another river, perhaps I should take G&T along
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

bigtalljohn wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:30 pm By the time I'm at Feshie my feet have been wet for so long I don't notice another river, perhaps I should take G&T along
:-bd
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

Just been thinking about the start time in September, as the original group start was earlier a 10am start time with 15 hours of light seems reasonable but as we are later in the year and sunrise to sunset (06:41 to 19:39) with 13 hours of sunlight would it be an idea to move the start forward a little. I know for people travelling from afar this maybe award so maybe a 9am start would be a compromise
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Unless you think you can finish before it gets dark does it make much difference? My current plan is to ride through but I don't think I'll be done before it gets light again so I'll have the same amount of riding in the dark either way.

Edit, I should add I don't mind what time the start is, but the later start means I don't have to get up as early :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:22 pm Unless you think you can finish before it gets dark does it make much difference? My current plan is to ride through but I don't think I'll be done before it gets light again so I'll have the same amount of riding in the dark either way.

Edit, I should add I don't mind what time the start is, but the later start means I don't have to get up as early :grin:
I think some of us are not as quick as you and will be taking a nap and gin&tonic on the return to feshie with an equally underperforming second day to consolidate our position at the back of the pack, taking into account 2nd position is first loser and with a lot less effort and determination I'm still going to be a loser, I'd like to be losing in style
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm not sure my lock-down training regime has done much for my speed. I'm easy with regards to the start time as I'll have to drive up the day before anyway.

I'll need the grid reference for these g and t's for my eTrex :smile:
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:49 pm I'm not sure my lock-down training regime has done much for my speed. I'm easy with regards to the start time as I'll have to drive up the day before anyway.

I'll need the grid reference for these g and t's for my eTrex :smile:
It will be the red 🏠 house for my g&t, you'll spot it
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This crossed my mind as a 10am start is fairly leisurely....Colins shout at the end of the day but do we need to do staggered starts to avoid a crowd gathering?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The start has previously been 10am.and has now been advertised as such so I reckon it's a bit late to change. It does have the advantage that folk can travel a little distance to get there, rather than everyone trying to find accommodation in Blair Atholl. This is more of an issue during Covid restrictions than it has been in the past.

We're hoping that there will be no applicable restriction on the size of the "gathering" at the start given it is outdoors and the group will likely disperse and spread out quite quickly.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Well my planned trip to Italy has been cancelled by Ryan air so i might be about for this after all. If any one is traveling up from south and staying in Perth on the Fri eve gimme a shout for a beer👍
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

robbie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:17 pm Well my planned trip to Italy has been cancelled by Ryan air so i might be about for this after all. If any one is traveling up from south and staying in Perth on the Fri eve gimme a shout for a beer👍
Cool - are you going to add your name to the Group Starters list? Looks like we currently have 18-20, so still space for a few more :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Had another completion submitted too. Raju Sangra from Glasgow in 52h 52m. He had a few words to say about the Fealar Lodge section :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And another two. Richard Hay and Scott Robertson in 31hr 9mins, despite taking a wrong turning in Inshriach.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I saw on Instagram that Hue Oliver recently went round in 18 hr 29 min :o
Mike

Post by Mike »

You best get training Sean if your to beat that :-bd oh n gears
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mike wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:01 am You best get training Sean if your to beat that :-bd oh n gears
:lol:

I'm taking gears and suspension but they won't help me get anywhere near that time. Hue's on the group start list so maybe that was just a practice lap and he'll do a proper fast ride this time :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I fear I might be a no-show for this :cry: The logistics are proving difficult. I need to stay somewhere the night before and probably also for the night after I get back. The Blair Castle campsite isn't taking tents this year due to C-19, all the camping pods are booked out. I should obviously have booked earlier :roll: but with the C-19 situation I didn't want to risk having to pay for accommodation I might not get to use.

A quick google seems to show the budget doesn't really stretch to a hotel or B&B plus the added complication that I might want to return at some late/early hour soaking wet and filthy depending on how long it takes me to get round/bail depending on conditions.

Throw into the mix the fact I also need to stay somewhere on the way up - it's too far to drive the day before a 300km ride, and that where I live, the intermediate stay and Scotland all need to not have any restrictions on the date.

Before I give up hope has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations for bike friendly accommodation in Blair Atholl that won't require a bank loan to afford?
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:03 pm I fear I might be a no-show for this :cry: The logistics are proving difficult. I need to stay somewhere the night before and probably also for the night after I get back. The Blair Castle campsite isn't taking tents this year due to C-19, all the camping pods are booked out. I should obviously have booked earlier :roll: but with the C-19 situation I didn't want to risk having to pay for accommodation I might not get to use.

A quick google seems to show the budget doesn't really stretch to a hotel or B&B plus the added complication that I might want to return at some late/early hour soaking wet and filthy depending on how long it takes me to get round/bail depending on conditions.

Throw into the mix the fact I also need to stay somewhere on the way up - it's too far to drive the day before a 300km ride, and that where I live, the intermediate stay and Scotland all need to not have any restrictions on the date.

Before I give up hope has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations for bike friendly accommodation in Blair Atholl that won't require a bank loan to afford?
With our wild camping option anywhere is an option
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've stayed at the Dalgriene. They are well used to having cyclists through - LEJOGers and folk doing various permutations of the Cairngorms routes.

One of the reasons it's a 10am start is to let folk travel from slightly further afield, Pitlochry, Dunkeld, Perth would all be within easy reach. I'll be heading down from Aviemore in the morning. It's in the wrong direction for you, but I also have a spare room...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks. I'll look them up and also widen my search :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sean, we are considering one of the Travelodges in Perth, 50mins to Blair Atholl. Still leaves a bloody long journey the day before for you though.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:56 pm Still leaves a bloody long journey the day before for you though.
The only way it could be worse is if i lived way down in the west country, but then I'd have more local riding so wouldn't feel the need? The ferry is what makes it a pain, it means it's nearly 2 hours into the journey before you even get on the mainland - driving to the ferry plus you need to be there about 30 mins before departure and then the crossing.

I always break the journey up into 2, I have stayed in a b&b near Kendall the last two times, from there to Scotland always seems to fly by. It's just too far to drive on my own in one hit, I'd need 2 days to recover. i'm just not used to the long drives, 40 mins from my house in one direction is it here or you end up in the sea :grin:

Looks like there's a campsite about 40 mins drive away so i'll call them tomorrow. I'd probably book Fri to Sun and just leave the tent up as I'll stay Sunday night to get some proper sleep before I head off.