RTTS 2020.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

RTTS 2020.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In a change to our advertised schedule, I'm wondering whether anyone would care to participate in this years RTTS on Sat June 20th? Obviously, we can't meet up but perhaps that shouldn't prevent us from enjoying this once a year opportunity?

1/ Choose a destination that you'd like to view the sunrise from - use you imagination.
2/ Ride through the night to said destination.
3/ Make yourself a nice brew and who knows, maybe even a bacon butty as the sun puts his hat on.
4/ Go home again.

My understanding of the current guidelines would suggest that the above would be legal as there'll be no stopping / camping involved. It's simply a bike ride but just happens to be taking place overnight.

Anyone?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Re: RTTS 2020.

Post by Bearlegged »

Is the idea to greet the sunrise on the 20th?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the idea to greet the sunrise on the 20th?
The idea is to ride Sat night so it would be sunrise of the 21st but do it Fri night if you prefer. In the past it's always been the closest weekend to Solstice but it's involved a second night out.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:03 pm My understanding of the current guidelines would suggest that the above would be legal as there'll be no stopping / camping involved. It's simply a bike ride but just happens to be taking place overnight.
If you fall asleep, do you have to hand yourself in at the nearest Police Station?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you fall asleep, do you have to hand yourself in at the nearest Police Station?
Yes.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Think I'll be up for this. Just got to think about a suitable hill to ride to. I've painted my Exposure Six-Pack in camo colours so I won't be noticed.
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

In searching for a suitable location, I came across this. ?????

Select satellite view.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1vdAYkmFBhCmYPex9

On the northern flanks of Titterstone Clee Hill.
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

Could be up for this and thinking Castle rigg would be a great spot to gaze from. Anyone wishing to join?
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

mfezela wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:01 pm In searching for a suitable location, I came across this. ?????

Select satellite view.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1vdAYkmFBhCmYPex9

On the northern flanks of Titterstone Clee Hill.
Before google maps updated their imagery you could see plenty cock n baws artfully sculptured on the ground there
techno

Post by techno »

I'll be out for this. Probably to a beach on the east coast. Sunrise over the sea at spurn point was lovely last year :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

I think my sunrise location will either be Burton Dassett (Warks) or Bredon Hill (Worcs). Some nice spots to get the stove going and have a sit for a while.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

techno wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 pm I'll be out for this. Probably to a beach on the east coast. Sunrise over the sea at spurn point was lovely last year :-bd
i was thinking spurn point
might see you there if the bed doesn't call too loudly :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

Asposium wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:05 pm i was thinking spurn point
might see you there if the bed doesn't call too loudly :lol:
I'm going to somewhere a bit closer this year, I'm taking a mate who doesn't ride as much as me. Probably aldbrough if you fancy it?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Hmmm, sounds like the ideal excuse for my first visit to Carrock Fell - interesting geology (Gabbro), Iron Age hill fort and it was climbed by Charles Dickens. Great view to the east over the Eden Valley and the Pennines.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

slarge wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:29 pm I think my sunrise location will either be Burton Dassett (Warks) or Bredon Hill (Worcs). Some nice spots to get the stove going and have a sit for a while.
Was thinking Malvern myself Steve but , as it’s Father’s Day on Sunday I’ve got no chance of getting out all night Saturday and then sleeping Sunday when I get back
techno

Post by techno »

I'm out, wife's gotta work :(
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Anyone go out? Saw the forecast and decided to go climbing on Gable instead. Rain started as we got back to the van at around 11pm.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sadly not, I spend Fri and Sat inside a water tank instead :roll:
robbie

Post by robbie »

I forced myself out to do something for it. I had planned to ride 130km to here for sunset https://www.dunnottarcastle.co.uk/
and then back after making myself a coffee but the terrible forecast put me off, It had heavy rain coming in at 3am just in time to spoil the party. So changed plans and started a road ride at 11pm plan was to be back near home for the rain coming in and maybe take shelter to watch the sunrise. pretty much 3am on the dot down the rain came and clouded over.
I headed home wet! No sunrise seen but had a decent 100kms night ride. oh well maybe next year :-bd
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I did get out. Been feeling floppy and had things on but working on giving the write up justice. Definitely more of a journey more than the start to finish should suggest
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I went out. Met a friend in the Tyne valley early evening, explored a few new bridleways on gravel bikes, linked up with quiet lanes. Allowed plenty of time but it was such a pleasant evening we dawdled a bit, then realised we were cutting it fine for making it to where we planned to watch the sunset (a spot I've been going to every solstice for years, and attracts what constitutes a small crowd in these parts now), so nashed it through the forestry track section. Dragged the bikes the last mile or so up and down the steep stepped stone footpath and arrived a couple of minutes before sunset. Not that it really mattered because the horizon was pretty cloudy anyway.

We'd planned to travel a bit further back towards home since my friend had to be back early, but we were both knackered and hungry since we hadn't had time to have tea yet. Went to the other end of the ridge and cooked and ate, then found a spot nearby that was flat-ish and sheltered-ish. It was pretty much on the path, but unlikely to see anyone since it was dark and the morning would be wet. Shared poteen and Japanese whisky (in a hygenic fashion of course) and crawled under tarps to await the rain.

Woke before 5 to pissing rain. Packed up quick and headed off. Stopped in a bus shelter in the first village and made coffee. Took the shortest road route back. Until I got to the edge of town, so 30 miles and nearly 3 hours of riding, inc. coffee stop, I'd seen two cars. I love Northumberland, particularly early on a Sunday morning, even it's raining. Home by 9, at which point the sun started to come out :roll:
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

My ride was out to Shrewsbury to have a garden breakfast with Jack, then ride halfway back with him before he looped back. It was so great to see him face to face after months. I rarely remember as graphically the rides with other people, despite enjoying them more, so the rest of this report is on the outward leg.

Something that is quite exclusive to bikepacking in this modern life of ours is delayed gratification. That satisfaction and greater reward precisely because of the struggle to get it.

The entire half of the ride was this for me. Building up a dept, delaying the enjoyment. By all means a ridiculous amount of time to wait. I was deep in a ditch of cold hard apathy. No tangible positives or negatives to speak of. That blissful nighttime solitude I had hoped to relive was ruined by broken sleeping patterns and lack of responsibility of hatchback hoons. Something I still can't work out was keeping that free grinning child from jumping about. Equally, everything on my bike just worked, every bodily need was met instinctively, apart from the obvious sleep but even that wasn't vicious in clawing at my eyeballs how it can be. I did not let this phase phase me, as I backed my experience that it would, as they always do, pass.

The tipping point was when I stopped for a coffee. Bus shelter with wooden bench on the A5. It felt dangerously like this apathy was a shield from a truly negative pit. I had some flashes of hopeless imagery that these hours, days, months were utterly meaningless. I couldn't even muster there is nothing else I would rather be doing, the best I had for myself was that if I was doing anything else then I'd wish I was doing this.

I drank the coffee slowly and gratefully. This pause allowed me to notice the wind in the trees, reminded me of my banana fueled freedom, rushed me with caffeine. Aware of my knife edge mood I had a motivational shout at the drizzle "CALL THIS A STORM? PATHETIC! IF YOU ARE GONNA DO IT THEN DO IT PROPERLY AT LEAST!" Looking back I was definitely talking to myself. The sleep deprivation clearly deep rooted in projection. Luckily I listened and snapped into that fantastic lucid clarity.
Webp.net-resizeimage.png
(156.81 KiB) Downloaded 958 times
I am still astounded how vivid those thoughts feel. That grown up filtering everything to fit society gives up. You finally escape all that noise and are left with a beautifully simple existance where your priorities are clear.

This came in the form of answers. I realised what the point of my ride was. I wanted to figure out what the point of my life was. That classic coming of age question. I have asked it on similar rides before, and will surely ask it again.

For my life to be meaningful, start to end the world should be different because of me, better. I am more powerfully incluenced by those I care about than famous influencers, so it stands to reason that it is the same in reverse. I hope to take advantage of this influence I have to expand my impact on the world, beyond what I can do alone and onto those around me. Change my world, to change the world.

All that we can hope to do is what we can, and empower others to do the same. This statement should be re-evaluated as often as situations change.

I have been listening and learning lots about Black Lives Matter and the state of the world at the moment. This is a human rights issue. I have learnt the impact of my blissful ignoranant inaction, and cannot return to that life. There is enough information out there now that any ignorance is concious and an act of denial. Educate yourself. Make your own decisions. Make the right decision.