Dales Divide 2020 .. who's going?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Dales Divide 2020 .. who's going?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Got an email from ChrisE today whether I'm coming. Previously I've assumed I'm too soft (I am) but upon reading it...

and the fact it has some sort of shortcut (like the aisles in Idea where you dont gotta go all round)

and what Chris mentioned (just like Bob mentioned previously) about it not being too technical so maximum scenery with minimal risking of the knees

and the fact that there'll be plenty folk hopefully out there

and the fact that (if I read it correctly) its free and Chris seems such a top lad...

Makes me think I should email him back saying 'yay'... But thought I'd ask on here to help tempt me a bit more. In a nutshell who's in?
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: I just can't get - Dales Divide 2020 - out of my...

Oh... and its the closest I'll probably ever get to experiencing the TDR and HT550... with it being good mind conditioning for the BB200 (pending a place and not becoming too soft and mushy in the meanwhile)
lune ranger

Re: Dales Divide 2020 .. who's going?

Post by lune ranger »

I’d really like to but Easter weekend is not a time where I’m gonna get a long pass just now.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
techno

Post by techno »

I'm a maybe, unfinished business after bailing due to illness last time.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I've expressed my interest (I think that's as far as "entering" goes). Looking forward to it as I didn't make it last year
redefined_cycles

Excellent... good to see we have at least 2 people (and probably many more who might not frequent these places) on the list as 'intwrested'.. Luke, sorry to see Easter might mean you're tied down (either at work or family).

Will register my interest (I think) with Chris myself aswell shortly... then aim for the 300 route but have the 600 in the back of the head...
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wanted to but im on duty that weekend again so another year no show for me :(
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Well, i have sent an email expressing interest!

I now need to stop eating like a maniac and ride my bike a bit :-)
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

I'm rather new to these forums, but not to long distance rides both on and off road, and Dales Divide is one I'll be riding this coming year. As well as being a wonderful challenge in its own right, it'll also be a good test of equipment and mental fortitude before Italy Divide and other foreign excursions through the summer.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I want to be in - so so much, but work stops most of my life, not having weekends and bank holidays off, means that I have to take holidays, which is frowned upon sometimes haha!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

like the aisles in Ikea where you dont gotta go all round
That's just bollox. A story made up to entrap gullible blokes. :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:36 am
like the aisles in Ikea where you dont gotta go all round
That's just bollox. A story made up to entrap gullible blokes. :roll:
Stu... Really, you think so. You mean I'll end up going all the way round (like I do at Ikea cos the shortcuts are almost designed to get you lost) cos thats the most obvious and easiest choice :smile: :o
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Most likely going to ride it again, this time with gears though, the very long flat sections around York were Hell on a Singlespeed!
Great route , with some of everything.
The tan lines that I earned last Easter were there for months!!
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

I would encourage anyone to ride the Dales Divide. Last year I think about 20 or 25 rode, this year I’ve had 100 entries so far. It is super relaxed. The course will look something like this;

The ethos of the event is that you are known to be doing the best you can, but if that means taking a train/taxi/whatever part way round, you won’t get blasted for it, in fact you’ll be applauded for having a go rather than being frightened, playing safe and staying at home on the sofa. Yes – there will be some very strong athletes at the front who will race very hard but equally many other people putting in just as much effort and not going half as fast. I’d also encourage people who are apprehensive to ride with a friend if that’s better for you. On the question of ‘”is it free?” the answer is yes it is. If you chose to be tracked on Trackleaders (like on the Tour Divide or HT550) the you’ll need a tracker and Mr Trackleader charges $15 to register your device, for that you’ll be famous forever http://trackleaders.com/dalesdivide19 but it’s by no means compulsory to be tracked and I’d never want that to be a barrier to riders. So if not tracked, it's free. For 2020 there is a shortcut across the middle of the course, where it's very flat and facts going, (York to Osmotherly) that cuts out all the East Coast and North York Moors section so hopefully that will cater for people who see setting off with 600km in front of them a bit daunting.
The timing is hopefully useful too to people expecting to do ‘proper’ races like the HT550, Italy Dive or Tour Divide as a good season starter to those rides and is intended to give a feel of such iconic races without all the seriousness that goes with them. The course is really varied, but not very technical so like the races mentioned is more about the miles clicking past, re-supply and sleep/rest management than it is about super-technical riding.
So if you want to ride, drop me an email (I’m sorry I’m useless at this Facebook thing) to be on the list. The start is at Arnside, 8am on Good Friday, 10 April 2020. I hope to put out an update email over Christmas to every entry (to your email address), another in Feb then the final GPX route and stuff early March.

Keep pedalling, Chris

chris@highbark.co.uk
Last edited by ChrisE on Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloryhallelujahAl

Post by gloryhallelujahAl »

Another newbie to this stuff here but I’ve “expressed my interest”, and wife is cool with me taking a long weekend pass, so...😁
Sanguis et Ignis
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I’m going

Have unfinished business

And taking a mountain bike; gravel bike was too much hard work, need suspension
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I'm in, I did it last year and it was great.
I took to much stuff as usual so I will try to take less this time also I have a new lighter bike.
A friend of mine is doing it also so I may or may not have a riding partner depends if I can keep up :grin: .
What's the worst than can happen?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm also in for this.

Was wondering whether to build some 650B wheels with a decent width tyre for my gravel bike, or build some better 29er wheels for my rigid MTB (Longitude) - or just stick with the 27.5x2.8s. Comments so far are pushing me towards the Longitude. Think it'll be tiresome across the Vale of York, but probably better overall - and there is, of course, no one perfect bike.
redefined_cycles

Asposium wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:05 am I’m going

Have unfinished business

And taking a mountain bike; gravel bike was too much hard work, need suspension
This comment convinced me that I'll hopefully be pretty happy with my 650b tirrs on front sus Sonder Transmitter :smile:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

trob6 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:30 pm I'm in, I did it last year and it was great.
I took to much stuff as usual so I will try to take less this time also I have a new lighter bike.
A friend of mine is doing it also so I may or may not have a riding partner depends if I can keep up :grin: .
Yep, same here.

Must have been carrying about 2kg of food because I expected things to be shut for the bank holiday. Nope. Everything was open. Plenty of places to get food.

I've signed up again for this year. Not sure if I'll approach it any differently.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Must have been carrying about 2kg of food because I expected things to be shut for the bank holiday. Nope. Everything was open. Plenty of places to get food.
Good to hear. I was a bit worried about that, and having to dig around to find revised opening times, rather than a quick check on Google maps.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I hope to be there for the long weekend
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ton

Post by ton »

been looking at this, and i really fancy a go.
i know most of the route, and have probably ridden most of it over the years.
but if i am honest with myself, i think if i stuck to the route i wouldnt manage it.
but if i were to mix and match with bits of road here and there i could possibly manage it.

would it be proper offside to ride it this way?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Depends. Do you want to ride it to measure yourself against others, or as something just for you?
ton

Post by ton »

lol, i have neither the physique, the health or the inclination to measure myself against others.

and if i rode the whole route on the road, i can guarantee you that the fast offroad riders would beat me by a day or so.