Dales Divide 2020 .. who's going?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: Dales Divide 2020 .. who's going?

Post by slarge »

To be honest I hope Chris cancels / postpones it. Whilst the riders will probably be fine, it seems like bad form for people to be moving from village to village and almost certainly calling in to shops etc for supplies, thereby spreading whatever good or bad news they could be carrying. Everything else is cancelled, so this shouldn't be special.

It'll still be there for ITTs etc when (if??) we all get back to normal (whatever normal is then).
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

And for anyone that thinks its just gonna be affecting the elderly mainly... there's this https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... e-17961182
robbie

Post by robbie »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:04 am Ah, thanks Andy, that makes sense.

Jane said at the hospital here yesterday the Chief Executive was in cleaners scrubs helping to set up a new ward ready. This obviously had a massive effect on moral as it shows they are in it together and got a lot of respect. Some of the other managers were simply emailing instructions from home :roll:

This whole situation is surreal, I can't quite get my head round that this time last year I was sorting kit for the Dales Divide and this year I'm thinking about what I'll do if riding is prohibited.

If it doesn't go ahead this year then at least my singlespeed record won't be broken, every cloud etc. :wink:
Out of interest how was it on the ss? how long did it take u?
my choices are ss inbred or my gravel bike at the moment........
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'd be much more inclined to use the mtb. There were some people on gravel bikes last year, including Alex Watts who got a very fast time, but there are some long stretches where you'll be uncomfortable and cursing not having wider tyres/suspension/both.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

robbie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:07 pm Out of interest how was it on the ss? how long did it take u?
my choices are ss inbred or my gravel bike at the moment........
It took me 2 days 16 hours. It was OK on the singlespeed, the worst bit for me was the middle between leaving the Dales and when I got to the North York Moors, it's very flat so there was lots of sitting and spinning, I'd rather ride up hill all day :grin:

I would always use an MTB, I had a rigid with 29 x 2.35 tyres but I'd probably put sus forks on if I did it again.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Worth reading his biography by Jim Perrin, appropriately titled "Whillans", enough of an exposé that Jim waited until after the death of his widow to publish it.
Sorry to be pedantic but wasn't Jim Perrin's book called The Villain, I've got a copy. Unless there was a later "warts an all" book after his wife died. My abiding memory is the photo of a rotund Whillans meeting a stick thin yogi on a Himalayan expedition in the early '80s.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon as from this week - no one's going now.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:22 pm
Worth reading his biography by Jim Perrin, appropriately titled "Whillans", enough of an exposé that Jim waited until after the death of his widow to publish it.
Sorry to be pedantic but wasn't Jim Perrin's book called The Villain, I've got a copy. Unless there was a later "warts an all" book after his wife died. My abiding memory is the photo of a rotund Whillans meeting a stick thin yogi on a Himalayan expedition in the early '80s.
You're right it was. Even more embarrassing as it's sat on the bookshelf about 3 metres behind me.

That shot was one of Doug Scott's I believe, it originally appeared in Mountain Magazine.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:58 pm I reckon as from this week - no one's going now.
Can confirm. Email just received
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hooray to Chris E I suppose. Hope others start thinking this sub standard (sorry) through clearly soon aswell. Theres vids (not sure they been censored just yet or removed for other reasons!) of Italian Doctors warning the world that 'please learn from what we going through'... today I heard of 7 (brave) Italian doctors that ended up dying to the CV due to helping others. So sad... :cry: