Page 3 of 4

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 am
by Borderer
restlessshawn wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 pm
It's also just a pleasant cycle down the valley from where I stay...though I have a 100% failure rate of attendance due to my general fear of social interaction so don't let that sway you :roll:
You could sit in the other room :wink:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:01 pm
by restlessshawn
Borderer wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 am
restlessshawn wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 pm
It's also just a pleasant cycle down the valley from where I stay...though I have a 100% failure rate of attendance due to my general fear of social interaction so don't let that sway you :roll:
You could sit in the other room :wink:
:lol:

You are right about the pubs I had my introspective Ettrick Valley head on

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:42 pm
by Borderer
restlessshawn wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:01 pm
You are right about the pubs I had my introspective Ettrick Valley head on
BYOB

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:09 pm
by Ray Young
Borderer wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 am
You could sit in the other room :wink:
:lol:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 pm
by AlasdairMc
Has this been agreed then? I’m a maybe for the 14th, but the weekends before and after are fine.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 pm
by thenorthwind
Also interested to hear if anything other than the bothy has been agreed - e.g. a route. Don't tell the Yorkshire lot, but I'm thinking of taking advantage of this southern edition of the Scottish winter bivvy and ditching them this year :o

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:14 pm
by Ray Young
AlasdairMc wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 pm
Has this been agreed then? I’m a maybe for the 14th, but the weekends before and after are fine.
I'd assumed it had been agreed as there have been no naysayers and more than a few ok with it.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:23 am
by AlasdairMc
Ray Young wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:14 pm
AlasdairMc wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 pm
Has this been agreed then? I’m a maybe for the 14th, but the weekends before and after are fine.
I'd assumed it had been agreed as there have been no naysayers and more than a few ok with it.
Cool, I’ll be along if I can. Dryfehead still the planned venue?

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:21 pm
by Borderer
thenorthwind wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 pm
Also interested to hear if anything other than the bothy has been agreed - e.g. a route. Don't tell the Yorkshire lot, but I'm thinking of taking advantage of this southern edition of the Scottish winter bivvy and ditching them this year :o
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2019/09/ ... ead-bothy/

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm
by htrider
I'm going!

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:27 am
by whitestone
thenorthwind wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 pm
Also interested to hear if anything other than the bothy has been agreed - e.g. a route. Don't tell the Yorkshire lot, but I'm thinking of taking advantage of this southern edition of the Scottish winter bivvy and ditching them this year :o
Image

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:57 am
by Ray Young
AlasdairMc wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:23 am
Cool, I’ll be along if I can. Dryfehead still the planned venue?
Yes. Dryfehead it is.

Who's definitely planning on coming?
Me, Alasdair Mc, htrider, borderer.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:49 am
by Alan63
Ray Young wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:57 am
AlasdairMc wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:23 am
Cool, I’ll be along if I can. Dryfehead still the planned venue?
Yes. Dryfehead it is.

Who's definitely planning on coming?
Me, Alasdair Mc, htrider, borderer.
Fraser and I planning to be there.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm
by thenorthwind
Thanks for the link Borderer - are people planning to meet in Eskdalemuir and ride in together?

I know Bob - hoping the Scottish lot might turn up though ;-P

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:40 pm
by JimmyG
Barring anything unforeseen, I'm planning to be there.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 pm
by Alan63
thenorthwind wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm
Thanks for the link Borderer - are people planning to meet in Eskdalemuir and ride in together?

I know Bob - hoping the Scottish lot might turn up though ;-P
We're planning to ride in from Eskdalemuir following Borderers route. We'd be planning to ride in during daylight.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:03 pm
by htrider
Nay idea of route but will be from Moffat. Will bring a tent to avoid bothy overcrowding!

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:15 pm
by jamiep
is anyone taking a vehicle from Edinburgh area for a lift for the petrol money?

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:03 pm
by JimmyG
jamiep wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:15 pm
is anyone taking a vehicle from Edinburgh area for a lift for the petrol money?
I am Jamie. Will be nice to catch up after so long mate.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:22 pm
by jamiep
Ah, nice one, thanks Jimmy

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:52 pm
by Ray Young
JammieP/JimmyyG, what route you thinking?

I'm either doing 20 mile from St Mary's Loch (which includes a 1.5 mile bikehike) or 12 from the Samye Ling Buddhist temple.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:09 pm
by JimmyG
Ray Young wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:52 pm
JammieP/JimmyyG, what route you thinking?

I'm either doing 20 mile from St Mary's Loch (which includes a 1.5 mile bikehike) or 12 from the Samye Ling Buddhist temple.
Ray, Preferring to avoid a hike a bike section if possible, I'd been thinking of riding in/out as per Borderer's route i.e. an anti-clockwise circuit. Looking on Google Earth, the vicinity of the temple appears to offer better parking options than Eskdalemuir. Those with local knowledge may, of course, suggest otherwise?

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:06 pm
by Blair512
I'll be along all going well, thinking I'll ride in on Borderer's route as well. I should be able to squeeze one more into my wee van if you'd like a lift Ray?

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 pm
by AlasdairMc
JimmyG wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:09 pm
Ray Young wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:52 pm
JammieP/JimmyyG, what route you thinking?

I'm either doing 20 mile from St Mary's Loch (which includes a 1.5 mile bikehike) or 12 from the Samye Ling Buddhist temple.
Ray, Preferring to avoid a hike a bike section if possible, I'd been thinking of riding in/out as per Borderer's route i.e. an anti-clockwise circuit. Looking on Google Earth, the vicinity of the temple appears to offer better parking options than Eskdalemuir. Those with local knowledge may, of course, suggest otherwise?
There’s a massive area near Samye Ling on the side of the timber haulage road that’s big enough to park in.

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/Xg4KV6Y4v3fxoMWQ8

Maybe a hundred yards up the hill from that lorry.

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:40 pm
by thenorthwind
Ok cheers, sounds like a few different routes being taken. Seeing as I'm coming from the south/east I may park in Langholm and ride up Megget Water to Greensykes and across to Eskdalemuir and aim to meet up with others there. Could be difficult timing wise but as long as I make it to Dryfehead it'll all be good.