Winter bivvy, Scotland

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
Borderer
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Borderer »

restlessshawn wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 pm It's also just a pleasant cycle down the valley from where I stay...though I have a 100% failure rate of attendance due to my general fear of social interaction so don't let that sway you :roll:
You could sit in the other room :wink:
restlessshawn
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by restlessshawn »

Borderer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 am
restlessshawn wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 pm It's also just a pleasant cycle down the valley from where I stay...though I have a 100% failure rate of attendance due to my general fear of social interaction so don't let that sway you :roll:
You could sit in the other room :wink:
:lol:

You are right about the pubs I had my introspective Ettrick Valley head on
User avatar
Borderer
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Borderer »

restlessshawn wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:01 pm You are right about the pubs I had my introspective Ettrick Valley head on
BYOB
User avatar
Ray Young
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 amYou could sit in the other room :wink:
:lol:
AlasdairMc
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by AlasdairMc »

Has this been agreed then? I’m a maybe for the 14th, but the weekends before and after are fine.
User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by thenorthwind »

Also interested to hear if anything other than the bothy has been agreed - e.g. a route. Don't tell the Yorkshire lot, but I'm thinking of taking advantage of this southern edition of the Scottish winter bivvy and ditching them this year :o
User avatar
Ray Young
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Ray Young »

AlasdairMc wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 pm Has this been agreed then? I’m a maybe for the 14th, but the weekends before and after are fine.
I'd assumed it had been agreed as there have been no naysayers and more than a few ok with it.
AlasdairMc
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ray Young wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:14 pm
AlasdairMc wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 pm Has this been agreed then? I’m a maybe for the 14th, but the weekends before and after are fine.
I'd assumed it had been agreed as there have been no naysayers and more than a few ok with it.
Cool, I’ll be along if I can. Dryfehead still the planned venue?
User avatar
Borderer
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 pm Also interested to hear if anything other than the bothy has been agreed - e.g. a route. Don't tell the Yorkshire lot, but I'm thinking of taking advantage of this southern edition of the Scottish winter bivvy and ditching them this year :o
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2019/09/ ... ead-bothy/
User avatar
htrider
Posts: 3917
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by htrider »

I'm going!
User avatar
whitestone
Posts: 6579
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 pm Also interested to hear if anything other than the bothy has been agreed - e.g. a route. Don't tell the Yorkshire lot, but I'm thinking of taking advantage of this southern edition of the Scottish winter bivvy and ditching them this year :o
Image
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
User avatar
Ray Young
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Ray Young »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:23 amCool, I’ll be along if I can. Dryfehead still the planned venue?
Yes. Dryfehead it is.

Who's definitely planning on coming?
Me, Alasdair Mc, htrider, borderer.
Alan63
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Alan63 »

Ray Young wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:57 am
AlasdairMc wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:23 amCool, I’ll be along if I can. Dryfehead still the planned venue?
Yes. Dryfehead it is.

Who's definitely planning on coming?
Me, Alasdair Mc, htrider, borderer.
Fraser and I planning to be there.
User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks for the link Borderer - are people planning to meet in Eskdalemuir and ride in together?

I know Bob - hoping the Scottish lot might turn up though ;-P
User avatar
JimmyG
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by JimmyG »

Barring anything unforeseen, I'm planning to be there.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Alan63
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Alan63 »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm Thanks for the link Borderer - are people planning to meet in Eskdalemuir and ride in together?

I know Bob - hoping the Scottish lot might turn up though ;-P
We're planning to ride in from Eskdalemuir following Borderers route. We'd be planning to ride in during daylight.
User avatar
htrider
Posts: 3917
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by htrider »

Nay idea of route but will be from Moffat. Will bring a tent to avoid bothy overcrowding!
jamiep
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:34 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by jamiep »

is anyone taking a vehicle from Edinburgh area for a lift for the petrol money?
User avatar
JimmyG
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by JimmyG »

jamiep wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:15 pm is anyone taking a vehicle from Edinburgh area for a lift for the petrol money?
I am Jamie. Will be nice to catch up after so long mate.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
jamiep
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:34 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by jamiep »

Ah, nice one, thanks Jimmy
User avatar
Ray Young
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Ray Young »

JammieP/JimmyyG, what route you thinking?

I'm either doing 20 mile from St Mary's Loch (which includes a 1.5 mile bikehike) or 12 from the Samye Ling Buddhist temple.
User avatar
JimmyG
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by JimmyG »

Ray Young wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:52 pm JammieP/JimmyyG, what route you thinking?

I'm either doing 20 mile from St Mary's Loch (which includes a 1.5 mile bikehike) or 12 from the Samye Ling Buddhist temple.
Ray, Preferring to avoid a hike a bike section if possible, I'd been thinking of riding in/out as per Borderer's route i.e. an anti-clockwise circuit. Looking on Google Earth, the vicinity of the temple appears to offer better parking options than Eskdalemuir. Those with local knowledge may, of course, suggest otherwise?
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Blair512
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:27 pm
Location: Falkirk
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Blair512 »

I'll be along all going well, thinking I'll ride in on Borderer's route as well. I should be able to squeeze one more into my wee van if you'd like a lift Ray?
Image
AlasdairMc
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by AlasdairMc »

JimmyG wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:09 pm
Ray Young wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:52 pm JammieP/JimmyyG, what route you thinking?

I'm either doing 20 mile from St Mary's Loch (which includes a 1.5 mile bikehike) or 12 from the Samye Ling Buddhist temple.
Ray, Preferring to avoid a hike a bike section if possible, I'd been thinking of riding in/out as per Borderer's route i.e. an anti-clockwise circuit. Looking on Google Earth, the vicinity of the temple appears to offer better parking options than Eskdalemuir. Those with local knowledge may, of course, suggest otherwise?
There’s a massive area near Samye Ling on the side of the timber haulage road that’s big enough to park in.

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/Xg4KV6Y4v3fxoMWQ8

Maybe a hundred yards up the hill from that lorry.
User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by thenorthwind »

Ok cheers, sounds like a few different routes being taken. Seeing as I'm coming from the south/east I may park in Langholm and ride up Megget Water to Greensykes and across to Eskdalemuir and aim to meet up with others there. Could be difficult timing wise but as long as I make it to Dryfehead it'll all be good.
Post Reply