Winter bivvy, Scotland

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:22 am Ah. We had more last year (but also tents etc).
I'm afraid I missed last year due to flu, broke my 100% attendance, :cry: .
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Dryfehead, with a gpx track. For those who haven't read it already.

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2019/09/ ... ead-bothy/
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Haven't been to Dryfehead before. Is there much space for camping outside if need be?
BaM 2021
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Alan63 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:37 pm Haven't been to Dryfehead before. Is there much space for camping outside if need be?
Yes, nice flat green in front.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:15 pm
Alan63 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:37 pm Haven't been to Dryfehead before. Is there much space for camping outside if need be?
Yes, nice flat green in front.
I can do a coal drop here too.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Yeah. You can see it in the photos on the link I posted :P
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like a plan
I'll just be bumbling in from the M6 side
Ian

Post by Ian »

Count me in. Haven't worked out where "where" is yet, but I have plenty of time to work it out :)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm Count me in. Haven't worked out where "where" is yet, but I have plenty of time to work it out :)
NY170999
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm Count me in. Haven't worked out where "where" is yet, but I have plenty of time to work it out :)
I was forgetting your North of the border now Ian, be good to meet you.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Hi all, is this restricted to those inhabitants of Scotland or could someone from the Scotland of England (Cumbria) join you too?

(pending confirmation of works do)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:53 am Hi all, is this restricted to those inhabitants of Scotland or could someone from the Scotland of England (Cumbria) join you too?

(pending confirmation of works do)
You would be more than welcome, always good to meet new people.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Yes all welcome. The easiest jump off point is Eskdalemuir for those who want to do a quick Google for feasibility.

You can come at it from Moffat via the SUW but it involves hauling your bike up a ridiculously steep bit of the Romans and Reivers at Gorrogill, which is frankly no fun at all. Or perhaps type 2 fun.

You can also come in via Lockerbie but that involves either making a couple of river crossings (wet feet guaranteed) or doing a lot of zigzagging back and forth contouring the glens which really puts the mileage up.

Eskdalemuir has a small, free public carpark opposite the tearooms. From there it is a fairly easy 11 mile ride in, with a really fun long descent to the bothy on the ATV track. It's fairly straight and not technical, but fun anyway. The next day there is a slightly longer route out avoiding the long climb back up which means not having to go back on the same way you came in. The details, map and gpx are here. https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2019/09/ ... ead-bothy/. It's admittedly not a long or challenging ride if you follow our route, but the days will be short by December and with snow possibly also on the ground so it might work for some.

Eskdalemuir also has the Samye Ling monastery which is free to visit and a really eye-opening experience.

Another longer option is to come in from Hawick (lots of free parking) via the Romans and Reivers route. You can read about when we did this on the following link https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2018/03/ ... othy-trip/(its the return part of the journey you want), then adding the bit from Eskdalemuir to the bothy from our more recent trip:

There would be an easier way back via quiet back roads next day if you just wanted to get home by that point.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

You can also come in from Over Phawhope bothy but this has a bike hike section over a hill NT174066-NT170041 to pick up the downhill track to Dryfehead.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm You can also come in from Over Phawhope bothy but this has a bike hike section over a hill NT174066-NT170041 to pick up the downhill track to Dryfehead.
Yes that's the bit at Gorrogill I was referring to.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah but... where is the nearest pub?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:36 pm
Ray Young wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm You can also come in from Over Phawhope bothy but this has a bike hike section over a hill NT174066-NT170041 to pick up the downhill track to Dryfehead.
No, it's a different bikehike, not the the big push up the Garrogil path.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm Yeah but... where is the nearest pub?
BYOB
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:42 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm Yeah but... where is the nearest pub?
BYOB
I won't repeat last year's mistake of polishing off a bottle and a half of malt with Rob (after 4 pints at the pub too).
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 pm
Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:36 pm
No, it's a different bikehike, not the the big push up the Garrogil path.
Ah cool - yes I think I know where you mean. I have been meaning to try that sometime, you may have saved me the bother. Will talk about it with you in Dec. Also I have a Bob trailer so could haul in coal pretty easily on the day I reckon.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm Ah cool - yes I think I know where you mean. I have been meaning to try that sometime, you may have saved me the bother. Will talk about it with you in Dec. Also I have a Bob trailer so could haul in coal pretty easily on the day I reckon.
I've not actually done it, I read about it on a bothy forum by someone who walked it.
How far are you riding in, perhaps I could join you?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:52 pm I've not actually done it, I read about it on a bothy forum by someone who walked it.
Yes I have a story about that I will tell you when I see you! Let's just say that there are a lot of armchair theorists on that one...

Not sure re the ride in - it will depend on the weather + health etc nearer the time. Either from Hawick or from Eskdalemuir. But yeah, let's make a plan nearer the time...
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Dryfehead even has a toilet now I believe just up the track.

It's also just a pleasant cycle down the valley from where I stay...though I have a 100% failure rate of attendance due to my general fear of social interaction so don't let that sway you :roll:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Tushelaw Inn but it's weird as...
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Pretty sure Moffat or Lockerbie are closer for hostelry. But both are a long way away. So 'there isn't one' is the best answer.

Yes Dryfehead has a toilet now.