Highland fling 1000

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Highland fling 1000

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just lifted this info from fb. Thought it might interest some out there.

I've started to get entries for this, so I thought I'd give you all a heads-up about the first (and probably only) running of a new! shiny! 1000 km event from the north of England, up the Scottish west coast and around the sea lochs, just (but just enough) into the Highlands, then back through Edinburgh, across the Lammermuirs and down the English east coast, under the Tyne at the fabulous cycle tunnel and back through Durham's coal country.

It starts on a Thursday to take advantage of the 75th anniversary VE Day Bank holiday, and finishes on the Sunday, so local riders will only need the Thursday afternoon off work. Darlington, which has great transport links from everywhere. Top tip for Londoners: Grand Central services from King's Cross to Eaglescliffe are a lot cheaper and more bike-friendly than direct services to Darlo, and then you can just hop a local train (no bike reservation needed).

A midafternoon start, will see you riding over Upper Teesdale in the early evening in late spring, and there isn't a finer time to be in the best place in the world, you lucky lot. You'll pretty much need to ride through the first night, though there is a feed stop at Castle Douglas (no beds, it just breaks up a long section of buggerall - if you're fast enough to have time for proper sleep, there are hotels in Ayr). The ferry at Gourock starts operation again at 6.30 am, and I'm planning to dish out ferry tickets to riders at Greenock Cut. Along with cake, if you're there before the cafe opens. There should be enough cake for later riders, too, but it's a decent cafe.

A loop around the Cowal peninsula and over the Rest and be Thankful takes you past the peace camp and nuclear subs at Faslane, down the Forth Valley and over the muir to the Friday night stop at Cultybraggan Camp. We've booked one of the huts where German and Italian POWs were housed, so it'll be reveille at 4.30 sharp, roll-call at 5, and the Great Escape theme piped into the hut overnight (possibly). Snorers and farters will be sent to the cooler (AKA the nuclear bunker). Sleeping mats and blankets provided, plus showers.

Assuming you do stop to sleep, the morning will bring Loch Earn, Glen Ogle and Loch Tay to sweet home Aberfeldy, then up past the Birks and through Glen Cochill, Glen Almond, Sma' Glen, Strathearn, Gleneagles, Glendevon, across the Ochils and down to Edinburgh. You'll get to cross the Lammermuirs away from the Forth and down into England to the Saturday night control at Shilbottle village hall. Again, sleeping mats and blankets provided, plus showers.

From there, it's a gorgeous run back down the coast, under the Tyne and through the lanes back to Darlo.

Entries here: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-84/
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Re: Highland fling 1000

Post by jamiep »

there's been a thread on YACF for a while with some extra info/discussion https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=112619.0

Considering it or one of the two other 1000+ km audax currently on the calendar for next year
techno

Post by techno »

That looks fantastic. Dean's events are brilliant. I've ridden his don't keep off the Moors which is great fun & he loves his off road sections :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

Another of deans creations: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-589/

"400km cycling event starting from Darlington. Controls at J38 Services, Coniston, Caldbeck, Hexham and Cockfield, plus 2 information controls.

Some offroad, some severe offroad, lots of hills and a ferry. The route includes England's highest through-road, and a whole load of other rough-stuff classics that will make it a challenge.

Total Ascent: 7227m
Max Elevation: 675m"
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

That looks great. :-bd
composite

Post by composite »

This looks good, but I have already entered the Bryan Chapman Memorial (http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-195/) which is on the 16th. Doing a tough 1000km to then do a tough 600km less than a week later could be hard going. It would be some serious AAA points though! However, by that point if everything has gone to plan, I should have a world of miles in my legs so maybe it could be fine? :shock:

Really like the look of the Steele Roads and Woolly Hills and I don't have ride for June planned yet. That time limit might actually be fairly challenging.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Couldn’t resist entering...