Peak District Wild Camping

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Yorkshire-Stuie

Peak District Wild Camping

Post by Yorkshire-Stuie »

Hello.

After my first attempt at bike packing on the moors 100 ride, which was vaguely exciting, I am planning my first solo trip to dip my toe in.

I am based in Wakefield West Yorkshire, so planning on ridding to the peak district mainly off road on my Surly ECR, then return the following day.

Can anyone recommend some locations to wild camp around Derwent Valley.

I may go over cut gate, just looking for advise really.

Stuart.
Current bikes,

2017 Cotic Soul 27.5, 2019 Cotic Road Rat Alfine 11, 2018 Surly ECR 27.5+ 1990 Marin Eldridge (converted touring bike)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yorkshire_stuie/
In Reverse

Re: Peak District Wild Camping

Post by In Reverse »

Welcome Stu. :-bd

It's never struck me as a great place to bivvy tbh - there's a lot of people about in the valley bottom (plus a ranger station at Fairholmes) and the sides are pretty steep without many flat spots.

There's a shooting cabin over towards Ronksley Moor which people sometimes use if the weather's bad - it provides a bit of shelter but isn't completely weather/water proof. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8981&p=118286&hili ... ey#p118286

Personally I'd do what you said and head over Cut Gate and find a hollow off the side of the bridleway somewhere, or head down the fork to North America where it flattens out a bit.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

North America? Is there a special shortcut? Like a wormhole of something

I've spent the night in that cabin. Nice spot, roof not entirely watertight but it's our the wind at least. I took water up with me only to find a stream right outside! I thought you'd be able to bivy in or by the woods at the top of the reservoir, looked ok when I went past it
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

benp1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:08 pm North America? Is there a special shortcut? Like a wormhole of something

I've spent the night in that cabin. Nice spot, roof not entirely watertight but it's our the wind at least. I took water up with me only to find a stream right outside! I thought you'd be able to bivy in or by the woods at the top of the reservoir, looked ok when I went past it
Here you go Ben - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=420255 ... &A=Y&Z=115
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Might be giving the Peak District a miss at the moment :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

There are a few spots down in Derwent water, but you'd need to get there late. Also you'd have to pick your time to get over Cut Gate, as its likely a bog at the moment.

If you fancy heading over to Calderdale, I can take you out for a ride and show you some quiet spots?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Chew wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:51 pm There are a few spots down in Derwent water, but you'd need to get there late. Also you'd have to pick your time to get over Cut Gate, as its likely a bog at the moment.

If you fancy heading over to Calderdale, I can take you out for a ride and show you some quiet spots?
Chew... I'm up for that please. Shall I bring my coffee grinder/v60 coffee maker or dont you drink that lovely fresh ground coffee stuff slowly brewed??
FLV

Post by FLV »

As said above, the cut gate will be a horrid bog at the moment. Better to head via marsden and wessenden etc then through Glossop if you want to ride in mainly off road. But, given Chew's offer thats where I'd head for sure.

There are plenty of spots in the peak but its a mud / bog fest right now after the last rains. The driest places in the woodland areas where the grounds soaked a lot of it up.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

whitestone wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:19 pm
benp1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:08 pm North America? Is there a special shortcut? Like a wormhole of something

Here you go Ben - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=420255 ... &A=Y&Z=115
Cheers Bob, that's a new one on me
Yorkshire-Stuie

Post by Yorkshire-Stuie »

Hi Chew, yes I would love to come over for a ride at some point. I am planning my ride during the week, Tuesday the 21st just for one night. Problem is I am riding in Glentress the weekend before.

So I may need to keep it simple for my first solo adventure, somewhere in West Yorkshire then :grin:

Any suggestions for steady ride from Wakefield ?

Stuart.
Current bikes,

2017 Cotic Soul 27.5, 2019 Cotic Road Rat Alfine 11, 2018 Surly ECR 27.5+ 1990 Marin Eldridge (converted touring bike)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yorkshire_stuie/
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I’ve used the small shelter here a couple of times:

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=418927 ... 88496&lm=0

Best used on an arrive late/leave early basis, a nice spot with a stream a few yards away.
Can second the use of Ronksley cabin too, basic but does the job. Best approaches from the Westend valley I think.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:30 pm Might be giving the Peak District a miss at the moment :wink:
Morning all, quick thread hijack if it's not too cheeky.....

I'm going to be doing a hike (more of a plodding walk) on a stag do from Edale, up and over Hollins Cross/Lose Hill , down into Hope and then over Win Hill on to Bamford at the weekend and the forecast is for rain, rain and more rain.

My question is just how bad do you think it'll be on those trails?

It's been a while but from memory they're more rocky than boggy (at least up off the valley bottoms) and I'm thinking that they might drain better than most due to the gradient, no?

Obviously there's going to be some mud but is it going to be a nightmare do we think???

Any intel appreciated.....

Cheers, Gairy.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That sounds like a good stag do!

I'm not a local but have been on those trails and in that area, walking and biking though more of the former, it's all pretty good I'd say. More rocky than boggy, although if you venture off the trails...
gairym

Post by gairym »

benp1 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am That sounds like a good stag do!
Only the 3rd stag do I've ever said yes to :-bd

And thanks, confirms what I was thinking/hoping.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Trails should be fine Gairy. My point was more about travelling between places as many roads were completely shut. However, I believe life has returned to normal now.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I reckon you'll be OK. The trails down from Win HIll into Bamford may be a bit slithery.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:37 am Trails should be fine Gairy. My point was more about travelling between places as many roads were completely shut. However, I believe life has returned to normal now.

Aaah, I hadn't heard about that. We'll be heading in/out by train so assuming that's all clear.

Was it local flooding?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lots and lots of flooding Gairy. They had to evacuate a town as the dam was on the verge of breaking which meant just about every road in / out was closed as were the train lines. As I say, word from my mum is, things are now pretty much back to however normal they ever were :wink:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bugger! That nugget of news never made it to France. Glad everything is back to normal again and hopefully not much was damaged.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Depends on the actual route Gairy but as a rule the trails around Edale/Hope valley are some of the best-maintained in the entire Peaks. I'd be more worried about getting hit by an unruly mtb-er. :grin:

How long are you around for? Pint? Ride?
gairym

Post by gairym »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:11 amHow long are you around for? Pint? Ride?
No bike this time - feels weird being without a bike, I don't like it!

I'm getting in to Sheffield tomorrow evening and leaving Sunday morning.

Saturday is full of stag do bobbins so only option to grab a pint would be if you could make it to where we'll be (Kelham Island area) tomorrow night?

I don't mean to be inflexible but it's not my do to change (but I've already invited a couple of other buddies out for a pint as it's the first time I've been home in years).
FLV

Post by FLV »

Say hi if you see me round the peak Gairy, have a good trip :grin: