thunderstorm warning!

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

thunderstorm warning!

Post by BigdummySteve »

Seeing as my July bivvy was in a school field less than a mile from my house I feel I need to get a proper one in.. although it involved a bike and no paid accommodation I don't want to be the new J. Petervary so intend to ignore met office warnings of doom and head out after work tonight.. plan is escape London and head for the hills, Chilterns or perhaps pick up the ridgeway further down and push to waylands smithy, seems like a nice place to sit in a thunderstorm :-bd
anyone feel like joining me in this foolhardy endevour?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Re: thunderstorm warning!

Post by middleagedmadness »

Not tonight mate but if your about next Thursday me and Fionn are off down the clee ,food in stottesdon then up the hill
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

thanks for the offer stu, we should catch up. Unfortunately most of my work is in London at the moment, not often home much before 7pm and up at 5am I-)

middleagedmadness

Not a problem Steve , not sure what's happening for August or when, was supposed to do Stu's version of tcw with fionn but he's off to Ireland next Saturday till whenever he's had enough of the outlaws , hopefully he's back in time for a quick trip down the mynd before school starts :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

oohh.. both options tempting ('foolhardy' - best sort of BaM!). Having terrible trouble staying patient until my authorised outing next weekend with Si Bowden. But no further passes have been issued for July :sad: . So what's yer thoughts re your "big event" in August Stevo? I'm bereft of ideas for August and can see me pulling it in on Sat 31st just as the bell rings for last orders / last bivis. The other evening I spent 2 minutes fag-packeting/envelope-backing a route from Long Buckby station - Badby - Woodford - Farthingstone - Buckby station but nothing firm. Although that's only up the road from you isn't it? Can't justify a "big trip" in Aug cos July and September are fairly "big". Anyroad, have a great time if you do manage to get down t'Smithy ya nutter you! :-bd

Don't forget to take some copper strip from work to use as a lightning conductor, and maybe do us a "live BaM report" with sound effects as you're being charred to a crisp by a particularly playful lightning bolt? Don't forget that carbon Stu tarp poles are excellent conductors of electricity!

You in the Stottie Cocks Stu? Have a sticky toffee pudding with vanilla ice-cream and extra toffee sauce for me could you please m8? Dead jealous me.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

I'm sure the boy will manage a couple of desserts reg ,to date it'll be his longest ride ,less hilly than may but double the miles,
RIP

Post by RIP »

And in "other news" I've just read there's a new series of Pemberton/Shearsmith "Inside No 9" on in the Autumn so all's now well in RegWorld :smile: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019 ... -series-5/ - Maxine Peake, Coleman, Morrissey! Phil Davis! It's all too much. Absolutely top drawer writing and acting; AND apparently The Rezillos are on at Northampton Roadmender on my birthday next year! Yay, Gigpacking! I should've bunged this in Pre-Emptive Cheery Friday...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Absolutely no idea what you’re on about there Chris, old chap :-bd
Currently bivvied at back of t’ smithy. A bit late due to stopping for a while talking to a old boy called John (my lads name) he describe the ridgeway as his summer home and is camping about 5 miles from me, 70 years old with a motorcycle and tent living life by his terms, I liked him. Apparently he’s off to the emptiest part of wales tomorrow so hopefully we’ll meet again.

I’ve paid the smithy so hopefully all will be ok tonight. I also asked the past occupants if it was ok to spend the night near their last resting place, I think they are glad of the company.

Reg, you really must ride the ridgeway sometime, as my my new friend John and I agreed you really do feel a connection with the past travelers, sounds like hippie dippie stuff but it’s got something more than just a route.

RIP

Post by RIP »

"no idea what you’re on about there" - which bit? ALL of it? #-O . "Currently bivvied" - <jealous>. "70 years old with a motorcycle and tent living life by his terms, I liked him" - ace, <jealous>, top guy, please say hello from the rest of us :smile: . "you really must ride the ridgeway sometime.... you really do feel a connection with the past travelers, sounds like hippie dippie stuff but it’s got something....". You're absolutely right Steve, beautifully well put, but I just can't get rid of this stupid totally unjustified Ridgeway-mental-block. I mean, the Peddars was ace when I did it, and a few other hippy things too. Pleasant dreams!

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Currently in negotiations with the boss for a late pass, might drop down to Avebury then back to van. 50 miles but....Avebury. Problem is can you go to Avebury then not visit silbury hill, then the natural course of events is on to the barge inn at honeystreet :-bd there may be trouble ahead :lol:

RIP

Post by RIP »

"trouble ahead". So? Anything new? :lol:

RIP

Post by RIP »

Hope that all went well Steve. In my usual obscure way, one thing I was querying was your plans for August? I'm vaguely considering something round Daventry cos cheap/cheerful is a criteria for me in Aug.

middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 pm Hope that all went well Steve. In my usual obscure way, one thing I was querying was your plans for August? I'm vaguely considering something round Daventry cos cheap/cheerful is a criteria for me in Aug.
Join us down the mynd reg ,cheapo train ticket ,can't give deffo dates yet as need to find out when the boy is returning from his homeland
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta Stu, will bear in mind although the time-frame stamped on my pass is short as well as the beer-vouchers being rationed :roll:

middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:29 pm Ta Stu, will bear in mind although the time-frame stamped on my pass is short as well as the beer-vouchers being rationed :roll:
Don't worry about beer tokens mate I'll have Fionn with me and he must be one of the rare Irish who hates pubs ,need to ration too as our September jaunt has just gone to 6/7 nights for me, will be riding down over a few days and the same back :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

"6/7 nights" :smile: . Chat nearer time m8, interested..

Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:31 pm fag-packeting/envelope-backing a route from Long Buckby station - Badby - woodford- Farthingstone - Buckby station.
Never expected to see my home village mentioned on the BB forum :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I was up your neck o’t’ Woods recently, hunting veloviewer squares, had a cracking pint of broadside in a random village pub somewhere near Aston le walls.
We must organise an actual ride somewhere rather than just going to the pub on a bike :-bd

RIP

Post by RIP »

'actual ride rather than just pub' :-O :shock: :wink:

ootini

Post by ootini »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:01 pm And in "other news" I've just read there's a new series of Pemberton/Shearsmith "Inside No 9" on in the Autumn so all's now well in RegWorld :smile: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019 ... -series-5/ - Maxine Peake, Coleman, Morrissey! Phil Davis! It's all too much. Absolutely top drawer writing and acting; AND apparently The Rezillos are on at Northampton Roadmender on my birthday next year! Yay, Gigpacking! I should've bunged this in Pre-Emptive Cheery Friday...
Fabulous news. The 12 Days of Christine was one of the best things I've ever seen on T.V, although it was a bit of a depadture from the usual Inside No. 9 ethos. Still, an incredible T.V. show.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd . I liked the one set entirely in a hotel corridor and the railway sleeper compartment was good too. Christine was excellent but very unsettling indeed!

Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:53 pm I was up your neck o’t’ Woods recently, hunting veloviewer squares, had a cracking pint of broadside in a random village pub somewhere near Aston le walls.
We must organise an actual ride somewhere rather than just going to the pub on a bike :-bd
Carpenters Arms, Lower Boddington at a guess. We called in last week on a ride and it has been dragged out of the 70's since my last visit :| Still they did ask if we wanted our Hooky in a handle or straight :-bd