Cairngorms loop sept?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Re: Cairngorms loop sept?

Post by Karl »

I'm going up the weekend after the group start now. I did send an email to Steve but didn't receive a reply. There was suggestion he was making some minor amendments to the route, is this happening?
JayTwizzle

Post by JayTwizzle »

Hey

I haven’t heard back from Steve either. I was just going to still go the weekend of the 31st. Prob start a bit earlier to make the most of the daylight.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - I was thinking the same.
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

Steve sent an email Friday, with a list of starters and will send a amended route shortly. Better buy some midge repellent I think, wasn't a problem in May in the snowfest
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've sent him the amended route so you should have it shortly.
JayTwizzle

Post by JayTwizzle »

Just got his email there. Perfect. I’m on the start list so see you there?!
Jon
Howard

Post by Howard »

Might possibly have a passout for this weekend... There was talk of starting earlier (which as a slower rider would suit me!!). Is that still happening or is it just the normal 10am start?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd thought about starting earlier but if everyone else is going at 10, that would just seem rude :lol:

I'm not expecting to be rocketing round either.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Has work on the Red House (I think that's what it's called) up by the Geldie Burn finished? That would make a good target for day one.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nope. Still usable though (with a sign saying "Don't Enter :lol: )

Could be a good target on days 1 and 2 if leaving the Tilt/Fealar bit until Monday.
JayTwizzle

Post by JayTwizzle »

I would defo benefit from leaving earlier than 10am but keen to join the group start for the fun and banter. So planning for that.
Swayndo

Post by Swayndo »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 am Nope. Still usable though (with a sign saying "Don't Enter :lol: )

Could be a good target on days 1 and 2 if leaving the Tilt/Fealar bit until Monday.
Sounds like a plan. I'll have the hipflask :ugeek:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Updated start list available.

12 riders (yes Howard, I've included you :lol:)

FWIW I've set up a spotwalla page for myself. Spots aren't compulsory but I usually take one on these longer trips anyway. I'm hoping my Mrs will keep an eye on it and report if she sees it heading down the Avon/Geldie/Tilt.
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:25 am I'd thought about starting earlier but if everyone else is going at 10, that would just seem rude :lol:

I'm not expecting to be rocketing round either.
I'm up for an earlier start, with the weather looking likes it's going to be bad and tortoise style approach to this. Need to see Friday midday to assess the weather . An 8-30 to 9-00 strat would suit
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
Swayndo

Post by Swayndo »

If I'm in it'll be a 10:00 start for me. I'd need to leave at 07:30 to even be ready for that.

I'm seeing some very serious rain forecast from 16:00 Friday until early afternoon Saturday. Fords of Avon will be interesting but the next section could be purgatory.

I'll call it tomorrow. The route isn't going anywhere.
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

Swayndo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:02 pm If I'm in it'll be a 10:00 start for me. I'd need to leave at 07:30 to even be ready for that.

I'm seeing some very serious rain forecast from 16:00 Friday until early afternoon Saturday. Fords of Avon will be interesting but the next section could be purgatory.

I'll call it tomorrow. The route isn't going anywhere.
Sensible approach and I'm sure you'll catch me up anyway, MIL not doing great anyway so it may all be a bit of a do about nothing
FLV

Post by FLV »

Have fun those setting out, weekends didnt align for me so I'll be staying home.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Weather is definitely looking "a bit wet"! Current plan for me is catch the first train rather than drive, so it is the 10am start for me too. Maybe a bit of banter in the car park before everyone rides away from me :cry:
Howard

Post by Howard »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 pm Updated start list available.

12 riders (yes Howard, I've included you :lol:)

FWIW I've set up a spotwalla page for myself. Spots aren't compulsory but I usually take one on these longer trips anyway. I'm hoping my Mrs will keep an eye on it and report if she sees it heading down the Avon/Geldie/Tilt.
...and I've put up a spotwalla too. Those who want to watch snails pace.... https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id ... howAll=yes
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Crisp

Post by Crisp »

Water levels approaching VERY high --
http://apps.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/def ... t&lc=14959
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Looks like everyone’s being held up near Gaick lodge at the crossing - the water must be mental as you can normally ride across! JayTwizzles tracker:

http://highlanddrifter.com/live-tracking
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yo. Back in BA.
Turned back at the Gaick Lodge crossing after spending an hour or so looking for a way across. Jon, Howard, Lee and Jenny set off upstream in search of a slower section. The rest of us turned back. The rivers we crossed to get there were already higher as we were coming back.

It's stopped raining in Blair Atholl so maybe some respite... eventually.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Sounds like a sensible call. I think the rain is due to ease later, but the Fords of Avon will still be very dicey too, I'd imagine. Looks like Howard got across, but Jon is on his way back too.
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

Back home with a g&t in my hand and an Indian about to be eaten, nice to meet everyone but the Cairngorms will be there for some time. Good luck to those left out there.