GR247 in June, anyone fancy it?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

GR247 in June, anyone fancy it?

Post by pistonbroke »

Just fleshing out a plan to ride this over 5 days.
http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/gr247-spain/
It's a 200 mile route in northern Andalucia which I had planned to do last March with MrsPB. The weather conspired against us then with rain and snow and as it was to be her first trip, shivering in a bivvy at 2,000m would have ended badly.
It can be done lite with several refugios along the route, the Bikepacking link explains more. I'm able to offer a lift to the start and back from Alicante airport early morning on the 19th, returning late on the 23rd of June.
Flights shouldn't be too dear at this time of year as it's pre school holidays. Eg, MrsPB is flying from there to Newquay for €70 return.
middleagedmadness

Re: GR247 in June, anyone fancy it?

Post by middleagedmadness »

That's some warm weather to be riding in Duncan ,when I lived in orihuela I always wished I could go home from may to September ,
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

As most of the route is over 1,000m I expect the temps to be just right. The average daytime for the end of June last year was 24° in Siles which is the usual start point.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I always forget living in a city it was bleedin baking, especially behind the plate glass windows of the workshop :wink:
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

I did it last April. Fabulous!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

This looks brill Duncan, but this June deffo wouldn't work for me..
In fact, would struggle anytime this year. Next spring might do though..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Jase, the reason for this June is that I may have a 5 day window with Trish back in the UK. Unfortunately her mother is getting very frail, not surprising at 93, and Trish is looking to visit flying Alicante-Newquay to save the hassle of getting to Newquay from further north. Her mum lives a mile from the airport. I'm driving her down south and might as well stay local.
There are quite a few multi day bikepacking routes springing up here now, if I decide not to run the C2C next year, I'll probably do this https://montanasvacias.wordpress.comwhich has been put together by a guy who I rode with on the TNR. Teruel is about 3 hours from here, the area makes the C2C look positively metropolitan!
Just come back from 500km around the Burrally route in Valencia, there's some beautiful riding but quite a lot of road. 3 weeks to go until the C2C, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new bits work.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Understand your reasons Duncan, i'd love to ride it, but i can't see it happening for me this June.
Look forward to the write-up if you do it though!
If i'm unable to make you C2C again i'd definitely be up for something else though..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!