WRT LHC Shorter ride

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Stevemorg

Re: WRT LHC Shorter ride

Post by Stevemorg »

Apologies - I thought I'd sent everyone who asked a GPX file - can you let me know if you still need one?

Am now off to the garage to hunt out all the bikepacking kit I've not used since last years WRT - hopefully it'll fit on the new bike! Big decisions though - gas or meths? and , more importantly my nice and light 2 season Rab bag or my nice and warm PHD bag?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Depends on which weather forecast you believe for Pennant - BBC says 8-9C daytime temps, 2-4 nighttime for the 3 days. Met Office is saying 4-5C daytime, -2-0 nighttime.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm Depends on which weather forecast you believe for Pennant - BBC says 8-9C daytime temps, 2-4 nighttime for the 3 days. Met Office is saying 4-5C daytime, -2-0 nighttime.
Don't forget Paul your not gonna be in pennant and all those little hills creates their own micro climates so apart from where the weather stations are it's just pot luck ( unless there's proper weather forecast)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

BBC are telling me that right now there's a 4% chance of rain, yet it's drizzling. They say there's a 9mph wind, yet it's deathly still.

Me, I'd pack for 4 degrees overnight then use skill and judgement should it drop any lower. The forecast as you move eastward is often a little more accurate as there's no mountains / valleys to knacker the job up. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Yes please re gpx Steve, I’d like a copy
Thanks
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

middleagedmadness wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm Depends on which weather forecast you believe for Pennant - BBC says 8-9C daytime temps, 2-4 nighttime for the 3 days. Met Office is saying 4-5C daytime, -2-0 nighttime.
Don't forget Paul your not gonna be in pennant and all those little hills creates their own micro climates so apart from where the weather stations are it's just pot luck ( unless there's proper weather forecast)
Yeah, I know - it was just interesting that the forecast for there was a few degrees lower than the other places I checked (Newtown and Llanbrynmair). My grand plan for shrinking my gear down this year amounted to nothing so I'm just going to bring my middle sleeping bag and I need a small rucksack for water anyway so I can pack a couple of extra layers in there.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

tobasco - whats your email?
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Paul you're not gonna be in Pennant" - he might be if he can't prise himself away from all that cake, and end up bivvying in Stu's yard. I wonder if you can still claim you've "done" WRT if that happens.

"use skill and judgement" - uh-oh, I'm in trouble then :sad:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

it was just interesting that the forecast for there was a few degrees lower than the other places I checked
It's generally always 3 degrees lower here than Llanbrynmair.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

You should have pm with my e address now Steve, thanks
imowen77

Post by imowen77 »

Hi
Shorter ride for me (Mark)and Mikey please
RIP

Post by RIP »

00.55hrs. Just walked back from the station and I can safely say that any thoughts of 'summer sleep kit' this weekend have been unceremoniously dumped in the bin :wink: . Altho that might have been the rivers of sweat evaporating off me!
Last edited by RIP on Fri May 03, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

imowen77

Post by imowen77 »

Could you send me the GPX file please . Cheers
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Imowen - what's your email?
imowen77

Post by imowen77 »

ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks to everyone for helping arrange the LHC and put the route(s) together. Unfortunately I'm having to drop out, due to a "digestive problem".
I'm gutted to be missing this!!!! (Excuse the pun)
Have fun everyone.
RIP

Post by RIP »

bad luck Oot :sad: - I'll bet some good old Welsh stream water would've sorted you out :smile: .

ootini

Post by ootini »

RIP wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:36 pm bad luck Oot :sad: - I'll bet some good old Welsh stream water would've sorted you out :smile: .
Cheers. But I don't think I should be within 500 yards of a watersource for fear of contaminating it. :cry:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

On the train, it’s going to be a long day
RIP

Post by RIP »

Longer = more time for fun! Can someone let me know later on please where you end up in Newtown? Railway Tavern? Elephant & Castle? Canal towpath with some White Lightning? or whatever.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Steve, am on train to Newtown OK but my phone network claims it's bust at the moment so using train wifi. Hopefully you'll see this and can drop me a note where u are. Or I'll just look out for a stack of bikes somewhere. If u cld remotely sign me in pls Stu cos I've started :)

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Will do.

You won a prize Reg and whilst it's generally accepted that if you're not there to collect it, it goes back in the pot, we put it to a vote and it was decided that you could have it .. remind me. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thank you, and a prize too - thank you! Pair of BBB cufflinks?! Bet JC even won something. Mr Morgan has been in contact and has some harebrained bivi idea :). They've made us switch trains at Shrewsbury (I think the train's English and it's scared of crossing the border). The train is last one to Aber and a gigantic hen party has just boarded - balloons, streamers, the whole bit - so I might just abandon the whole plan and see what's on offer in Aber instead :grin: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Shaun6055

Post by Shaun6055 »

Hi, just to say the taxi got me back to base safe and well, (after he rang Dee for directions). A big thank you to the LHC short ride guys for your patients and encouragement over the weekend. It was a steep (excuse the pun) learning curve for me on my first WRT both on the bike and bivving. Hopefully back next year better prepared. I hope the rest of the weekend went well and you all managed to stay safe and well. Thank you once again.
Shaun