Dales Divide.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Dales Divide.

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote:
fatbikerbill wrote:@sean.

My email (as I read it) specifically said you had to start and finish using the same ratio.

Nothing about what you have during the event :-)
That's some careful reading of the rules... your not a boss at an F1 team are you? :lol:

Since yesterday I've been looking in more detail at the route from the info I have so far. The spotwalla mapping is a bit misleading as it shades all tracks and roads the same. I've spent a few hours trying to trace the route onto my OS mapping by following the spotwalla route and it's much more off-road than I thought, it looks a cracking route :grin:
Sean, Spotwalla uses Google Maps so if you drag the little man over the map all the "roads" are highlighted to show where the Google Streetview camera car has been. Obviously some of the lanes might not have been accessible to the camera car and might be tarmac but it should give an idea of what is and isn't "road".
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

For those watching, Stu Taylor set off yesterday, (I think around 2pm) on his ITT. Follow him and encourage him at http://www.trackleaders.com

Chris
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

This will distract me form working :smile:

If I've interpreted trackleaders correctly, Stu set off at 13:56 and stopped at 00:29. Lets call that 10.5 hours. He was at mile 65.

Stu's a very strong rider, his performances last year in the HT550 and French Divide show that, so the route might just be tougher than all of those who say it's "gravel bike friendly"? Certainly the first section across the Dales might be tough going. I see Stu is on a MTB as well which makes me feel better that I'm going to be riding an MTB, I was worried I'd be left behind on super-fast gravel tracks.

Also, on trackleaders there doesn't seem to be the satellite image layer any more?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

I think it's a game of three halves, or maybe that shoudl be five halves! The fist section through the Dales is hard, some good climbs and virtually no road. If you look at the profile, in about an hour or hour and a half, Stu should be on the Vale of York bits and flying on level roads/tracks. I rode that 180k a couple of weeks ago, taking it sensibly, at 180k in 12hrs riding time. That should mean Stu could reach Scarborough for midnight or 1am or stop short in one of the many small villages before there. That would mean he's more than half way (distance) round in a very full day today plus a 2pm start day yesterday.

I hope he's having a good ride and I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

Chris
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

Looks like Stu stopped last night before 9pm and stayed at a pub. He was off again at 615 this morning. Hope he got some breakfast! Should be loads of re-fuel in Driffield.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Hopefully they made him breakfast, he probably supplies their beer so he should be treated as a vip :smile: The weather looks ok for the next couple of days as well so it should be good conditions for riding.
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

The weather here is pretty good at the moment, but the ground is really, really wet from flooding we all had a week or two ago. I'm hoping the weather keeps dry now for a few weeks! I'm off out mid today to ride the Cam Head to Arnside then Arnside to CP1 sections. Should be about 170k. My logger should be here https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=619

I really do hope Stu is enjoying it. I'm probably more nervous than he is! I reckon Scarborough for lunch. It would be good to get to Northallerton for the night. That would make the day a 200k day, which might be too much? It would be too much for me!

C
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Another dot to watch, how am I going to get anything done today? :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Am I right in saying that Chris is starting further down thw the route?? Can you still start firther down a rpute (but still do the full route) and get onto the ITT list...

If so I reckon I might give it a go (and become either a DNF or the slowest person in history to do it :???: )
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Chris is the organiser and is riding that section just to check it out to make sure it's OK, I think. Normal rules for ITT require starting at the start so everyone gets the same bits at the same time if that makes sense? Otherwise people could pick a start point to do the hardest bit first when they were freshest for example.
redefined_cycles

Aha. Makes sense. I thought as much about the starting from same point thingy. Thanks Sean
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote:Am I right in saying that Chris is starting further down thw the route?? Can you still start firther down a rpute (but still do the full route) and get onto the ITT list...

If so I reckon I might give it a go (and become either a DNF or the slowest person in history to do it :???: )
Yeah you can. At least I hope so as I'm planning on starting at Driffield which is the nearest point to me. I'll be setting off at the same time as the grand depart.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote:Chris is the organiser and is riding that section just to check it out to make sure it's OK, I think. Normal rules for ITT require starting at the start so everyone gets the same bits at the same time if that makes sense? Otherwise people could pick a start point to do the hardest bit first when they were freshest for example.
I thought the original post about group start and ITT starts said you could start where you wanted for the latter?
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote:I thought the original post about group start and ITT starts said you could start where you wanted for the latter?
Yeah, Chris is fine with those doing an ITT setting off from wherever.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ah, missed that :oops:
redefined_cycles

And... without a spot (sorry for being thick as I'm sure someoje tried to answer this for me before but I've still not really got the trackleaders thing properly) I could get myself a dot via my phones gps using what app??

Thinking when I give it a shot (very slowly, I'll add again, unfortunately) to just take a massive powerbank to last the 5 days or so and maybe chargeup midway if able at a YHA potentially
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not as far as I know Shafiq - you need either a Spot or a Garmin InReach to work with TrackLeaders. These devices transmit location data to a series of satellites, your phone can't do that.
redefined_cycles

Ah. Ok. Thanks Bob. I shall look into having one of them there rental Spots then hopefully (once I think I'm at a ppint my legs might not fall off on attmwpting such a feat)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

You'll suprise yourself with what you can achieve if you put your mind to it. It's more making sure your head doesn't fall off rather than your legs :grin:

Last year I was on a ride with a friend who's in the local road team, but it was mountain bike ride. At the top of one hill I said 'that was hard work' to which he replied 'but you've done the HT550', yes I said, but not at that pace! It's a different kind of effort on a long event and I think it's more about determination and mental strength than threshold power and max watts. If you're happy with your own company and don't mind whatever the weather does then it's just a matter of peddling and eating :smile:
redefined_cycles

:-bd I like that analogy... Been thinking on my ride of how to get number one in the ITT list... making myself chuckle abit but will give it a shot... :mrgreen:
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

I did get out during the last 24hrs and ride home to Cam Head, then follow the Dales Divide to Arnside, then in the dark Arnside to Gressingham. Then went off course to Wray to eat at 9pm and spent the night there. This morning carried on the Dales Divide to Highbark House

https://www.strava.com/activities/2238571371
Last edited by ChrisE on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

Managed to catch up with Stu at about 7pm tonight. He was at Askrigg, just about to eat at the pub. Then as I left he was off in the dark up Cam Road to try and finish at Arnside around 2am. Been struggling with the wind a lot, especially today, and a very cold night last night. In great spirits though!

Hopefully he will be the first person to ride the entire route.
postierich

Post by postierich »

good god he wears those none waterproof seal skin gloves :-)
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

Looks like he stopped at about 2am with about an hour or 90min riding still left to do. I guess he's bolloxed!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Or he pulled.......He's a good looking lad :grin: