Italy divide

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Italy divide

Post by robbie »

Anyone from here doing it?
Im planning on getting the train from Rome to Naples anyone know if the bike has to be boxed for that train journey?
In Reverse

Re: Italy divide

Post by In Reverse »

We took the inter-city train back from the Tuscany Trail last year, bikes were fine just hung up in the bike spaces. That was the Rome - Florence service operated by TrenItalia who also run Rome - Naples so can't see there being a problem.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Me and Mrs Beener are doing it.

Im now panicing
robbie

Post by robbie »

Whay are u panicking? How long have u given your selfs?
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

well our flights are 12 days after the start, but i have a nagging doubt ive bitten off a large chunk!
gairym

Post by gairym »

robbie wrote:Anyone from here doing it?
Im planning on getting the train from Rome to Naples anyone know if the bike has to be boxed for that train journey?
As I understand it.....you can take your bikes on the regionale and regionale velocity trains but you do need to book (at the machine or kiosk when you buy your ticket) for a few euros.

The intercity and ferracia trains are more complicated and officially require you to have your bike in a bag and at least partial disassembled on order to travel (free in regular luggage areas).

But.....I've played the dumb tourist card on a few occasions and gotten away with taking my bike on trains that it shouldn't have been allowed on but not sure you should bank on that.

On the TrenItalia website it tells you what type of train it is (remember to check connections also) and so it's easy enough to book the slower regional options (which look to exist going from Rome to Naples).
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

All good advice above..

Basically (from my limited experience) if your bike is in a box then i think its just classed as 'luggage' & you don't need to pay anything extra..

If you're just wheeling it on then there's quite often a 'luggage' carriage, or one with hangers for bikes.
But you will probably have to buy an extra bike ticket for i think euro 3.50.

During the TT last year it did get rather hectic on one train with peeps getting on with their bikes pretty much anywhere. In our section this ended up with a heated discussion & some (maybe) French lads slapping an angry Italian man & Nordy restraining him in a head lock :shock:

When you get your tickets don't forget to 'validate' them with one of the machines!

Some more info here-
https://www.italiarail.com/bicycles
https://www.cycleeurope.com/blog/bike-r ... on-trains/
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
robbie

Post by robbie »

Thanks guys. I think i will just take a cardboard bike box and chuck it when i get to naples. I need to figure out transport back to milan after the finish. Its about 140kms to cycle i think and then a bike box to find when in milan.
Anyone done it and offer any tips?
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

I have an Italy Divide sized hole in my calendar this year :cry:

It has recently been announced that the race has been postponed until end of July, which doesn't work for me as I'm signed up for the French Divide starting on 8th August. So I'll be opting to defer my entry until 2021.

Feel sorry for the organisers having to manage the extra workload, and hope this covid thing quietens down during the summer.
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

I've confirmed my entry for Italy Divide 2022, having deferred for 2 years. My travel to and from the event is booked, so I just need to ride it now.

Anybody else riding it next year?

Also, does anybody have a view on how closely the route might follow this year's route? The distance being promoted is about the same as this year's route, rather than the previous more easterly and shorter route.

The official route isn't provided until a few weeks before the event, but I would prefer to research and plan my supplies and such well in advance, leaving smaller tweaks for when the official route is provided.
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

I fear I'll lose my entry fee as I've got other things in my sights for 2022. I might just use that entry though then if it gets covid-cancelled I'll have a free entry for 2023!

drop me an email as I did some map-work for 2021 which might help you

Chris
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

Thanks @ChrisE

For everybody's benefit, the response I have just received from the organiser to my question on the 2022 route is:
the route will be based on the 2021 route, with some changes ;)))
psling

Post by psling »

I believe that Richard PostieRich Munroe, occasional visitor to this forum, has secured an entry for the event.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
postierich

Post by postierich »

I,m doing it anyone else fancy a cycle ride with pizza and beers along the way :-)
Hi Peter
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

postierich wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:56 pm I,m doing it anyone else fancy a cycle ride with pizza and beers along the way :-)
Hi Peter
I'm expecting to be enjoying a few pizzas and beers along the way.

I've booked up to have a couple of nights in a place near to the start beforehand. Get acclimatised and have a look around the area before the off ... apparently some stuff happened in Pompei a while ago.
postierich

Post by postierich »

Anyone want to hook up for maybe accommodation Share Friday night!
My Flights OUT
APR
09:10
Manchester
2h 50m
FR6835
13:00
Naples
My Flights Back
Your Flights
MAY
11:55
Verona
2h 15m
RK5477
13:10
Manchester
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

What are your plans for bike bag/box Rich?
postierich

Post by postierich »

As far as I am aware the organisers transfer it to the finish!
postierich

Post by postierich »

Got some accomadation sorted at the start but its a bit pricey in Torbole Lake Garda anyone want to share accomadation only found one place
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

https://www.italydivide.it/
Rich seems to be fully engaging the 🍻 and 🍕 approach :-bd
postierich

Post by postierich »

I did put a couple of shifts in to get round it was not all beer and pizza :-)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

It was all beer and pizza.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

postierich wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:28 pm I did put a couple of shifts in to get round it was not all beer and pizza :-)
Sorry, wasn't doubting your endeavour, just noticed a sensible approach to not riding until silly o'clock.
In Reverse wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:05 pm It was all beer and pizza.
Pics or it didn't happen..... :wink: