Feb 16/17 - Scottish Borders

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Feb 16/17 - Scottish Borders

Post by thenorthwind »

Following on from sporadic discussion on the BaM and another thread I can't remember... Any takers for an overnighter in the Borders on Sat/Sun 16/17th of February? Open to suggestions for starting point/route but probably aim for a bothy (Greensykes maybe?).
fatbikephil

Re: Feb 16/17 - Scottish Borders

Post by fatbikephil »

Mebbes - I know this was my idea but I'm a bit pre-occupied with the rovaniemi at the mo which is the following weekend. This could be a good chill out opportunity however....

Greensykes sounds good
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cool, let me know. Sorry if I'm taking over a bit, but good to make some sort of plan - my February's looking a bit empty bike-wise. It seems there's more riders in this area than I realised so hopefully there'll be other opportunities if you can't make it.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'd be up for it if it wasn't my wife's 60 the night before. Another time.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I'm a possible though might have to meet there...you do realise Greensykes isn't in the Scottish Borders though :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Point taken, I'll admit to being fairly unsure where the Borders ends and D&G begins :oops:
Growler

Post by Growler »

I might well be up for this. I've had a month off the bike due to ouchies from over enthusiastic hooning. Still sore but need to get my mojo back. Any firm plans yet?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Definitely doing something. Will plan a route at some point this week. Most likely Greensykes bothy Saturday night. Maybe a short ride Friday afternoon/evening into a bothy somewhere closer to home (Newcastle) as well, if I can make that work. Will update this thread when we've made firm plans. Just me and a mate at the moment, but some others interested.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Oh turns out we actually have something booked that weekend that I'd forgotten about!
Growler

Post by Growler »

thenorthwind wrote:Definitely doing something. Will plan a route at some point this week. Most likely Greensykes bothy Saturday night. Maybe a short ride Friday afternoon/evening into a bothy somewhere closer to home (Newcastle) as well, if I can make that work. Will update this thread when we've made firm plans. Just me and a mate at the moment, but some others interested.
Probably just the Friday afternoon/ evening, Bothy and ride back Saturday for me. I’m up in Morpeth, so can meet up en route maybe?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Another time then Shawn.
Probably just the Friday afternoon/ evening, Bothy and ride back Saturday for me. I’m up in Morpeth, so can meet up en route maybe?
That's fine - I have a friend from Morpeth who's interested, but he's likely to just do Saturday/Sunday, and probably a shorter route. Not sure that helps :roll: He rides with some of the Gothic lot too and has asked if there's any interest there, but no-one biting at the moment.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The plan for next weekend in brief: drive to Newcastleton Friday afternoon, ride up to Kershopehead. Saturday morning, ride over to Hawick, largely on the old railway line, then hopefully loop out to the west and down to Craik and Greensykes, or directly there if we're short of time. Sunday, down to Langholm and then across to Newcastleton, either a more scenic loop to the south, or the the road depending on time/weather/mood.

All welcome for any or all.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote:The plan for next weekend in brief: drive to Newcastleton Friday afternoon, ride up to Kershopehead. Saturday morning, ride over to Hawick, largely on the old railway line, then hopefully loop out to the west and down to Craik and Greensykes, or directly there if we're short of time. Sunday, down to Langholm and then across to Newcastleton, either a more scenic loop to the south, or the the road depending on time/weather/mood.

All welcome for any or all.
Not sure if you have done this before and therefore know this, but you will need to come off the railway line just before Stobbs camp. The line after that is very overgrown with densely packed trees and the final stretch into Hawick is poorly maintained and farmed by a very unpleasant man. The road from Stobbs to Hawick is quiet and just now you can see some cute piglets along the way, so it's not much of a hardship. You can cut across to the west at Flex burn and then turn south on the A7 100m to the right hand turning there. Take the dirt road to the right and cross Borthwick water on the footbridge, this will bring you out onto the Roberton road and so on to Craik. Or you can come and refuel in Hawick - lots of options with cafes, supermarkets, Wetherspoons and so on. Damascas drum cafe in Silver Street will be right on your path or we have a sparkly new Greggs on the High Street.

ETA - from the A7 you could take the road rather than the dirt track at the right hand junction - this will take you past Branxholm Loch and on down to the Craik road. It's a gorgeous road that I use for my road bike training but the hill from the A7 is a bit on the steep side with a laden bike. You might enjoy it though.

PPS - there is a GPX of a route from Howpasley to Greensykes on our website. You end up on the wrong side of the stream if you go to Craik.
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2018/03/ ... othy-trip/
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

If it was me I'd avoid Hawick and head west from Shankend Farm on gravel tracks till you hit the a7 at Newmill, turn left then right on to a dirt track after 50m or so and continue along a roughish track at the edge of fields you will join the Branxhom road just a bit before the Loch. That is a nice wee road, it's so quiet it has gates on it either side of the loch to keep the cows in.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks a lot for that Borderer - I was hoping you'd see this and comment :-) I had seen your comment on the railway line between Stobbs camp and Hawick on your blog, but read it as it was hard to find coming from Hawick - but having read that, we'll give it a miss.

Thanks Shawn - considered cutting across but we're pretty keen on a resupply stop in Hawick.

The plan is to loop out north and west depending on when we arrive in Hawick. I've got a route plotted as below. It's unknown to me beyond maps and satellite images, so could be a bit of an adventure, which is kind of the point, but let me know if it goes through any impenetrable bogs you know of!

The Branxholm Road sounds appealing - what's the track like from Glebefoot to Chisholm, and onwards past Broadlee loch? Would like to avoid roads where possible (not because of traffic - will be on mountain bikes, so might as well use 'em :wink: ).

I've seen your GPX route Borderer (not stalking you I rpomise ;-) ) but had plotted a route over Craik Cross Hill, which I realise isn't the most direct route, but thought might be more interesting. Again, happy to be corrected if I'm likely to regret that :grin:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I can't see your image?

Glebefoot to Chisholm, not tried it

Going over Craik Cross is fine just make sure you bear right (at about NT302045) just a bit after going over the top , do not keep going straight to Lamblair Knowe (406m) as this is tussock hell on earth. You will drop down to Aberlosk , then Raeburnhead then over to Greensykes
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

restlessshawn wrote:Going over Craik Cross is fine just make sure you bear right (at about NT302045) just a bit after going over the top , do not keep going straight to Lamblair Knowe (406m) as this is tussock hell on earth. You will drop down to Aberlosk , then Raeburnhead then over to Greensykes
I'll second that.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

That made me laugh Ray, only those that have passed that way could understand. I did it midsummer and was killed twice by clegs and my remains eaten by midges in the tussocks. It's the only time I've felt like leaving my bike and just running away.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bugger, I can't see it either. Will fix that in a bit.

Ta muchly for the Craik Cross tip. It makes it a bit of a roundabout way to get to Greensykes so may just go the other way. Or if we end up going straight to Craik from Hawick, going over Craik Cross to Samye Ling as a "middle distance" option (not the most direct route but more direct than my big loop).
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

restlessshawn wrote:That made me laugh Ray, only those that have passed that way could understand. I did it midsummer and was killed twice by clegs and my remains eaten by midges in the tussocks. It's the only time I've felt like leaving my bike and just running away.
Yea, I discovered the delights whilst putting the Borders 350 together. Even I couldn't put that in.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

...and then forest road to Craik.

(ignore the random straight line to the east of Hawick :???: :roll: )
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Gilmanscluech to Delorainshiel was a bit sub standard when I tried it, lots of angry looking cows and gates, you could do Singlie to Alemoor instead.

The GPX here will show that bit -

http://bikepackingscotland.com/reiverraid/

Alemoor is a nice spot

Not sure I'd be doing the stuff Hawick to Ashkirk either, I've done it but horses cut it up

My eyes aren't good enough to make out the details!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks Ray, much appreciated.

My route follows the Border's Abbeys Way from Hawick to Ashkirk, but the Cross Borders Drove Road runs roughly parallel (then you could go straight on through the woods to Burnfoot) - do you know if that's any better?

Singlie to Alemoor sounds good.

There's Langhope to Ettrickbridge too - quite a long track over open country but looks OK on the satellite picture - in as much as it exists, which is often all you can hope for!
ripio

Post by ripio »

restlessshawn wrote:Gilmanscluech to Delorainshiel was a bit sub standard when I tried it, lots of angry looking cows and gates.....
No bother when I went through that way a couple of months ago, in the opposite direction.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote:Thanks a lot for that Borderer - I was hoping you'd see this and comment :-) I had seen your comment on the railway line between Stobbs camp and Hawick on your blog, but read it as it was hard to find coming from Hawick - but having read that, we'll give it a miss.

The Branxholm Road sounds appealing - what's the track like from Glebefoot to Chisholm, and onwards past Broadlee loch? Would like to avoid roads where possible (not because of traffic - will be on mountain bikes, so might as well use 'em :wink: ).

I've seen your GPX route Borderer (not stalking you I rpomise ;-) ) but had plotted a route over Craik Cross Hill, which I realise isn't the most direct route, but thought might be more interesting. Again, happy to be corrected if I'm likely to regret that :grin:
Please don't apologise for using the info on our blog - that is what it is there for so it is great to hear that someone is reading it! If I could figure out this bloody photo-uploading malarkey I could show you some pics of the Branxholm road - it is gorgeous right enough. The track you are referring to that goes past Broadlee is the Romans and Rievers. I haven't ever ridden that bit - just stood on the road looking at it and thinking that it looks awfy muddy and chewed up by the coos. It should be pretty much all downhill so could be fun. I would be interested to hear how you find it if you go that way. I think I am a bit late in seeing your reply though, so you may already have done this.....