Trans Pyrenees Route - June 2019

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

andreasmayer

Trans Pyrenees Route - June 2019

Post by andreasmayer »

Hi,

Anyone up for bike packing across the Pyrenees in mid June (Monday 3rd to about 14-16th). Details of the (most popular?) route are here http://bikepacker.com/pyrenees-mountain-trail though happy to consider variants.

I did a 4 day stretch in Sept last year and loved it, generally I love cycling in the pyrenees for a number of reasons (climate/ people/ food/ cost etc.). The four days I did consisted of about 8 hours biking, 8 hours sleeping and 8 hours chilling & eating and drinking and this seems to be a good mix to me.

The riding was a mix of roads and tracks, all pretty doable though I'm guessing there are more technical/ single track/ hike-a-bike sections further west (I did an eastern stretch, Molina to Figueres).

Anyway, would be good to get a small group together for this...

Ta
Andreas
In Reverse

Re: Trans Pyrenees Route - June 2019

Post by In Reverse »

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I did the one off wikiloc with Blackhound and Gairy about 6 years ago, it's a tough old route with lots of steep ups and downs, rocky in the middle section and wet towards the Atlantic end. It took us 11 days and there were a couple of days we bailed onto the road otherwise we'd not have got back in time. The unrelenting 5-6 hour climbs with lots of pushing were the reason I chose an alternative C2C route for my May trip, at least you get to enjoy a bit of undulating riding once the climb is done instead of just plummeting back down to the valley floor to start the process all over again. Would I do it again? No.
andreasmayer

Post by andreasmayer »

Hi, @pistonbroke, good to hear that advice...do you have any more details of bad sections and alternatives? I'm definitely not set on any specific route, just a generally hilly traverse. The 4 days I did was from La Molina east to Figueres train station, probably an easier stretch then by the sounds of it...