Cairngorm loop May 4th 2019

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Cairngorm loop May 4th 2019

Post by FLV »

So, There used to be a group start on the may bank holiday weekend. That weekend in 2019 falls on Saturday 4th May. Steve's website used to list the date for a group start but now only lists the September start, which is fair enough if Steve feels this is better date.

For my own personal ITT challenge I intend to have a go at the route starting about 8 or 9 am (tbc) on the Saturday morning of the 4th May.

As said, this is for my own personal challenge but it would be great if anyone else was thinking of having a go at it around the same sort of time for us to start together and then carry on in the spirit of an ITT.

I'm not planning on organizing anything of any sort. This post is more of a 'if you call it, you have to do it' which is a quote from jameso from a report on his tour divide (I t think someone said it to him when he said he was going to ride it... its stuck with me for some reason).

The Cairngorm loop holds great memories for me. Before the ITT was formed I tried to ride something resembling the outerloop in late december, but was delayed hugely by ice and snow. After a short night in a bothy in the woods outside feshiebridge (yep, took me circa 10 hours to get there from Blair Athol) I bailed back to kingussie and got the train back. Nearly froze that night :-)
Successfully toured the outer loop over 3 days with a couple of pals, drank a lot of whiskey, got sunburn on day 1, snowed into my tent in the lin of dee on day 3. Good times.
The third time was an attempt current route but I bottled the winter conditions on the inner loop and reverted to touring the outer and had a bloody great time.

Anyway, I enjoy the route and look forward to challenging myself to getting round within the 56 hr limit. I dont expect to break any records but intend to get round as fast as I can,

See you there?
AlasdairMc

Re: Cairngorm loop May 4th 2019

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'll put my hat in for this too, but with one caveat.

I promise that I'll make an attempt on the loop before the mass start of the HT550, and I'd prefer it to be that weekend - but I might be on holiday for it. If I can't ride on the 4th, it'll either be the week after or a couple of weeks beforehand.

An early (8am) start makes a lot of sense, as maximum daylight is helpful, but it's your choice entirely.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Steve has updated the website to show a group start in May now :-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I was in the Cairngorms a month ago and the head honchos of the MBA had just met with the landowners and other relevant parties to discuss the proposed new bothy at the Geldie Burn. It probably won't be a usable bothy by May, but should certainly provide a good option for the less bothy-rich second half of the CL in the future. :-bd
This is a classic route and I'm glad there is still interest in it from people.
I need to complete it myself (instead of doing protracted stretches of it a million times over :lol: )
Potential riders: don't underestimate the difficulty of the final section where the route leaves the Tilt. :ugeek:
The sting is definitely in the tail!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've still not done this route either - though I've ridden all the constituent parts. Maybe next year.....
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's a great route, I've done it once in it's entirety, and despite sub optimal conditions both times, I've really enjoyed the riding and the challenge. I'll keep this date in mind and may join in last moment if I feel like it and it's possible,
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

padonbike wrote:I was in the Cairngorms a month ago and the head honchos of the MBA had just met with the landowners and other relevant parties to discuss the proposed new bothy at the Geldie Burn. It probably won't be a usable bothy by May, but should certainly provide a good option for the less bothy-rich second half of the CL in the future. :-bd
I went past it in September and there were some signs of recent work - some shoring up of the wall and removal of a fireplace at one end. It’s an ideal site, I’ve stayed in it once before on a Loop attempt. It was much nicer than being outdoors in a storm, but as a proper bothy would be great.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

AlasdairMc wrote:I went past it in September and there were some signs of recent work - some shoring up of the wall and removal of a fireplace at one end. It’s an ideal site, I’ve stayed in it once before on a Loop attempt. It was much nicer than being outdoors in a storm, but as a proper bothy would be great.
Yep the only time I put my head in there was a soil floor, which is worse that stone slabs! I think things will happen quickly. It's a good location, although not so accessible from the Tilt if the river is up, but then all the rest of the Cairngorms isn't either.
It's good that they're doing this, although it's hardly a critical location, being just 30 mins ride from Bob Scotts. I would rather have Culra fixed again than another Cairngorms bothy .... but that's life. :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

30 minutes ride but longer on foot :wink:

It's a good location, being a suitable distance from Braemar/Linn of Dee for through walkers and before heading down Tilt or through to Feshie.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'm (finally) aiming to do it around then, but parenting commitments make Bank Hols tricky. I'll go for a weather window just after I think.
BrokeBikeMountain

Post by BrokeBikeMountain »

The start list hasn't been filled in yet, but I'm down for the May 4th start.

Ian :-bd
G_Tom_Rox

Post by G_Tom_Rox »

:-bd
Sounds good to me. What kit do we need? How far per day?
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I'm in for this as well now, (for the group start at least!). Looking forward to the descent in to Braemar and chips already!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Great news, nice little group intending to start now :grin:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Just back from a few days with the family in Braemar. Today was the warmest February day in Scotland on record apparently. Certainly snow free over Glen Sheered etc. Pedalled up to Derry Lodge. Rivers are fairly low and ground seems reasonably dry. Sure to completely change several times before May, but was thinking what good condition it's in just now (limited light aside). Must be patient.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Whats the website for this... and who's Steve ? Please...
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote:Whats the website for this... and who's Steve ? Please...
http://www.cairngormsloop.net
Steve must be the guy who established the ITT?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

techno mail wrote:
redefined_cycles wrote:Whats the website for this... and who's Steve ? Please...
http://www.cairngormsloop.net
Steve must be the guy who established the ITT?
Yep, Steve Wilkinson. He may make an appearance at the start.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Is anyone planning to do a group start at 10am?

I intend to start at some point on the Saturday morning but if no one else is there at 10, I might go earlier.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

An early start makes a lot of sense. I'm still likely to head up. An 8am start would probably get you into Aviemore before closing time, and you'd get through the lumpiest part of Glen Feshie in daylight.
FLV

Post by FLV »

It might for you, but I'm way out of shape :lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The planets have aligned and I'm free to join in this weekend, if there is a group start? I'd be keen to leave a bit earlier I think if that's relevant. Is the start car park OK to leave a vehicle in/sleep in?
Ta
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I’m having a slow drive up on Friday. May well start on fri afternoon. I’m not going to be fast.

Cars are fine to be left in the start car park. Don’t know about sleeping in it though, I’m sure it’s fine if you’re discreet. I’m sure folks have left cars in the car park by the chippy in the village as well.

Paul.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Thanks for car park beta - I've parked there to do Glen Tilt before and it was pretty quiet. Weather's looking chilly on the long term forecast. May need to rethink sleeping bag...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've slept in a car at the start it's grand.

Other option is the car park near the pub if you're arriving late.