Cairngorm loop May 4th 2019

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Crisp

Re: Cairngorm loop May 4th 2019

Post by Crisp »

3x 10am Starters

Thought I could do it but really just wimped out -- must try harder!
https://www.strava.com/activities/2343744521

Well done everyone who even contemplated starting on Saturday
Crisp

Post by Crisp »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:31 pm There were 3 of us at 8 this morning, Martin, Andy (I think) and I. Andy didn’t depart with us so presumably left later.
Hmmm.... if you canned it at Glenmore Lodge and it was Andy (Inverness based, purple rigid bike) I caught passing over Bynack Barns around 6:30pm then who were the TWO sets of tyre prints in the snow ahead of us?
Andy was walking but looked solid enough and planned to camp at 10pm, hopefully he got to the shelter in the trees at the Dee somewhere. If you got wet feet at Fords of Avon that would make for a cold section.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Crisp wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:26 pm
AlasdairMc wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:31 pm There were 3 of us at 8 this morning, Martin, Andy (I think) and I. Andy didn’t depart with us so presumably left later.
Hmmm.... if you canned it at Glenmore Lodge and it was Andy (Inverness based, purple rigid bike) I caught passing over Bynack Barns around 6:30pm then who were the TWO sets of tyre prints in the snow ahead of us?
Andy was walking but looked solid enough and planned to camp at 10pm, hopefully he got to the shelter in the trees at the Dee somewhere. If you got wet feet at Fords of Avon that would make for a cold section.
Probably my tyre tracks. Headed off Friday evening. Couldn’t face a night in the van after the long drive. I was hoping to get to the shed/ bothy about 60 km in. Was forced to put the tent up after about 30km just after hitting the double track down to Gaick Lodge. Stupidly cold in the headwind and couldn’t see anything with the snow. Probably the coldest night I’ve ever had. Used the map as an extra layer.
Following day was ok, probably cleared all the snow of the low branches heading to lock morlich. Then pretty much pushed all the way over to and past the fords of Avon. Then bailed straight out down glen tilt this morning.

Things I’ve learnt this weekend:
-Love my Fargo, but it’s not so good in the snow.
-I’ve got a new bench mark for cold nights in a tent.
-Waterproof maps are also work well as a windbreaker.

Third time on the Cairngorms loop. This time the Cairngorms won. I’m off to Arran and jura now for a cheeky lap and a drink before I head home in a few days time. ( but it’s taken nearly 5 hours to get to Stirling services.

Bob. Don’t know if your on here, but nice to chat, sorry I couldn’t keep up!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Edit: also, the Columbia Outdry jacket recommended on here is actually pretty poor for this. It just doesn’t breathe.
Seems to depend on how your body regulates Alasdair. I don't tend to sweat a lot and run cool and never had a problem. I also figure that I prefer to be a bit clammy and mildly damp than properly soaked through to the skin :wink:
I'm a very sweaty man and I've found the breathability on the Outdry to be excellent.

Thumbs up to everyone who ventured out in that today btw.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Top effort paul, and the rest of you for getting out there
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'm the Andy that you spoke to at the start Alisdair and Martin. Started about 8.30, after a chat with Pete (purple Stooge, Inverness etc that Chris passed). Sub optimal conditions to be sure. Didn't get to Loch Morlich til after 2pm. Did anyone else see the wedding on the beach :???: . Realised I had no chance of finishing in the time I had (too unfit/slow) so sat in the cafe eating peppery leek soup. Sun glimpsed out so I decided to head over through Ford's and see. Dropped into Bob Scott's bothy at Derry Lodge to cook some tea out of the winteriness, and was still there 12 hours later having breakfast 😆. There was firewood and rice pud and I had the place to myself. This morning I carried on to White Bridge to finish down Glen Tilt, but made the inexplicable decision to carry on to Glen Feshie. Another few hours into that nice northerly head breeze and I was in the posh bothy, with the volunteer 'keeper of the palace' making me tea. Came to my senses, crossed the Feshie and rode/pushed/stumbled through the pass opposite the bothy to Tromie Lodge and reversed the start to BA.
Pete spent the night in the Ford's shelter, where he accidentally ate his breakfast. I met him again this morning near Linn of Dee, where he was cooking his Beef Hotpot. There was a lass called Donna, who carried on, camping, I'd guess near Linn of Dee. She left the posh Feshie bothy about an hour before I arrived apparently. Saw your Fargo tracks Paul. There's someone out on a fat bike too - Chris?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Wow, that sounds like quite an epic! You must have arrived at Glenmore moments after we left as the wedding was just gathering when I rode through. Clearly there’s a group of people less affected by weather than us!

I reckon a shot in July could be fun. Dry trails by then hopefully given that the snow would be gone (again)
Crisp

Post by Crisp »

boxelder wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:40 pm ... was a lass called Donna, who carried on, camping, I'd guess near Linn of Dee. She left the posh Feshie bothy about an hour before I arrived apparently ... someone out on a fat bike too - Chris?
Dawn (maybe your ‘Donna’) was one of 3x 10am starters, full sus, pony tail, Kingussie, Alpkit bar bag. Wouldn’t be surprised if she chugged on to be only finisher. Aye, Fat bike was me. Everyone had a mini adventure eh!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Dawn, pigtails - Aye that's how she was described. Steady away to finish today I reckon. Well done.
"epic" - no, just a mostly enjoyable couple of days with a full night's sleep (and kindle action) in the bothy. Bet you don't get it to yourself very often on May Bank Holiday.
Jamesybob

Post by Jamesybob »

Decided more or less before starting just to go for the outer loop and seeing the snowy looking Cairngorm and start of Bynack More through the clouds helped the decision, also had to work today so that helped with the excuses.
Paul, it was good to chat, didn't realise you weren't still behind for while, was enjoying the singletrack by then. I think the later start on Saturday helped with the weather, still really windy but only a few snow showers and a bit of sunshine helped.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good effort all, sounds like classic CL conditions :???:
Last year must have been a one off....
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Great to see this is still being it’s usual spring-tactic self.

Savage! Chapeau to all who toed the start line.
DawnA

Post by DawnA »

"Scottish" weather indeed, something to be said for "chugging away" - did indeed complete the loop on Monday morning. Great fun and enjoyable first attempt at an ITT, what's next...?
DawnA

Post by DawnA »

Incidentally, thanks to all for the tyre tracks round back of Bynak Mor - made me smile realising wasn't the only one optimistic enough to continue over the highest part of the route in the conditions
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Well done Dawn. Completing the Cairngorms Loops is "rather difficult" :???: . If you've got round that, then whatever is next, you don't need to worry about too much. :-bd
Jamesybob

Post by Jamesybob »

Hi Dawn, congratulations on your victory, first and only finisher I think?? Hope you enjoyed the rest of the ride, it was good to chat to you & Crispin on the first stretch.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A hearty (and shamefully begrudged) congratulations Dawn. That's certainly put my decision to stay in bed into perspective 😂
FLV

Post by FLV »

Top Effort, didnt think anyone would complete it this weekend. Good show
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

Just a quick hi to those who I met on the CL this weekend, I was the tall guy riding a purple stooge, and yes it's purple not pink and no it's not my wife's shopping bike. My first time in the Cairngorms but living just north of Inverness I'm sort of use to Scottish weather but still that wind did its job of sucking the life out of you. Nice to meet Andy at the start and a couple times later. On my first inner loop descent I blew and was passed by a fatty who enquired if I was alright, to be honest I was ok but just struggling in the snow riding downhill 😭. Got to the emergency shelter and got something to eat and drink with a plan to continue further on but resting I realised in these conditions it wasn't wise.

Then Dawn turned up all smiling and happy, hadn't even noticed she'd ridden through a snow storm, all come on and finish it'll be fun sort of attitude 😵. Put me to shame but I suspect she's probably half my age and has a BMI in single figures so I don't feel bad. Well done to her on finishing, I take my hat off to a true nutter of the highest calibre. Anyway at the turn back to Feshiebridge I followed the route back to Blair Atholl, 170km of type 2 fun but I'm going to be back, probably in about 5weeks to do the job properly 😀
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
Swayndo

Post by Swayndo »

Bigtalljohn/Pete/whatever... I might be up for that. Keep in touch if you fancy some company on yer pink shopper.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Yep, chapeau Dawn. "What's next?" - Deeside trail?
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

Swayndo wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:43 am Bigtalljohn/Pete/whatever... I might be up for that. Keep in touch if you fancy some company on yer pink shopper.
Up for it after Glenduro I think, is Nick up for either. 1st week in June is my plan
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

While out and about in Feshie, it was (mostly) good to see the care and investment being put into the area. The landowner (Danish guy) funded the bothy in Feshie to the tune of £250K and has it very tidy. I learned today that he lost three of his four children in the Sri Lanka terror attacks :cry:
Can't begin to imagine.........
Swayndo

Post by Swayndo »

boxelder wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:16 pm While out and about in Feshie, it was (mostly) good to see the care and investment being put into the area. The landowner (Danish guy) funded the bothy in Feshie to the tune of £250K and has it very tidy. I learned today that he lost three of his four children in the Sri Lanka terror attacks :cry:
Can't begin to imagine.........
Unthinkable isn't it.

Had a night in there in January and it was great. Wood supply and even has a toilet outside.