Cairngorm loop May 4th 2019

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: Cairngorm loop May 4th 2019

Post by In Reverse »

I rode a decent chunk of that section with Crisp. He sped ahead not long after the iron bridge crossing. Just having a look at my garmin track through that whole leg and it's an absolute shambles. :lol: Pretty tough to navigate in the dark with mild fog patches.

This section was memorable - the collapsed river banks. Top to bottom on this photo is roughly 300m. It took me 24 minutes...

Crispin :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:17 pm
Zippy wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:11 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am Yeah - makes sense. It would be shame if someone struggled along the old lines :lol:
I have a feeling I did this back when I did it :lol: I just blindly followed the GPS track!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1088024841

If anyone wants to check my GPS track...
Looks like you skipped a bit (by crossing the river twice) then stuck to the "old" track further down the glen. As said above, I doubt there's any advantage to be gained by these few variations so I'd not be concerned either way. I guess the estate workers might wonder why folk are avoiding their nice new tracks though :lol:
Ah, I know where you're talking about now! I remember that bit - the path that didn't cross the river was quite overgrown and I wasn't convinced at the time it was a path - so I scrambled up an over, and where I turned back was where I thought as far as the path went - so resigned myself to two river crossings (rivers were fairly low at the time...) as that looked like the proper route. Like you say, I doubt that made any difference or advantage/disdvantage either way - it was so close to the pink line I didn't really realise it was any more than a deviation between reality and a computer file.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Crisp wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:04 pm Some of my route (blue, trying to follow the "official") showing:
* First image is obvious path to the narrow metal bridge, it was dark and blindly following the official loop bit was nuts!
Me and Stu Cowp did the part through towards Glen Feshie in daylight a few years ago. The gpx approx 1km before the narrow metal bridge (914 886) is DEFINITELY wrong: we came off the path to conscientiously follow the gpx and just ended up wandering in unpathed heather. It's not like the path is particularly rideable at that point anyway! :???:
So you really need to ignore the gpx and stick to the trail for the approx 1km section before the metal bridge. The problem is, unless you are familiar with the route, you don't know when you are about 1km away from the metal bridge! :|
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Maybe it’s time to update the GPX? I’ve certainly got a pretty direct track from my 2017 ride, after Steve said to take the most obvious route through Glen Feshie
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

AlasdairMc wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:23 am Maybe it’s time to update the GPX?
Almost certainly. I suspect that the original (current?) GPX was traced from the map hence the "odd" loop that doesn't exist on the ground such as that approaching the Eidart as pointed out by Philip. For most of the route it's not as if there's any practical alternative to the one line through the glen or wherever: there's a track - you follow it. If the line of the GPX is to the side then it's simply a mapping error.

If Steve's at the group start on Saturday then it's worth a quick chat with him.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's snowing in Aviemore
Crisp

Post by Crisp »

FS! http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cai ... orlich.php

Route is up to 800m plateau skirting round to Fords of Avon on day#1 -- will check ski cams later to see what's setting at altitude
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'm giving up on going for a decent time with lightweight 'shiver bivi' set up. Time to repack
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH the reason I'd been paying this thread so much attention is that I had a notion for joining in this weekend. However, I really don't see the point when it could be 10C warmer, and a lot drier, in just a few days time. Ah, the vagaries of Highland weather 😁

PS the clouds rolled back a little and I can see snow down to the Lairig Ghru level.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Indeed. I know i started this thread but im on the verge of heading out from the door instead and coming back with a better forecast.

Have to decide this afternoon if the drive is worth it
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Well, that's the thing for me. I only have a 1hr drive to Blair Atholl and I can go at a moments notice (or simply ride it from home I guess).
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’ve spent ages sorting out a bike, but it now seems that a fat bike might be advantageous. The Lairig An Laoigh can be a bit poo when it’s soaking.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

boxelder wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 am I'm giving up on going for a decent time with lightweight 'shiver bivi' set up. Time to repack
I’ve done similar. I’m anticipating a cold one. Ruigh Aiteachan is awfully appealing.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I doubt there will be enough snow to make a fatbike worthwhile. Difficult to tell at this point.

Mind you, having now decided to give it miss, thd forecast will turn out to be 100% wrong and the rest of you will be complaining of too much sun come Monday.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm I doubt there will be enough snow to make a fatbike worthwhile. Difficult to tell at this point.

Mind you, having now decided to give it miss, thd forecast will turn out to be 100% wrong and the rest of you will be complaining of too much sun come Monday.
The fatbike is for the general sogginess more than the snow.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

AlasdairMc wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:15 pm I’ve spent ages sorting out a bike, but it now seems that a fat bike might be advantageous. The Lairig An Laoigh can be a bit poo when it’s soaking.
On the 2017 September start a canoe would have been most useful for that section :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ive called it for this weekend.

Multiple excuses, heres a few.

New untested bike, untested bar harness that i am not remotely impressed with, untested quilt and mat.

Poor-ish weather forecast in the cairngorms is not the place to find out kit doesnt work.

£100 quid in diesel to not have fun isnt... fun.

Im going to head out round the peak district in the morning for an overnighter. See how far i get.

As Steves email says, stay safe out there those of you that start.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

If you fancy a loop around Hebden Bridge I'm planning to head out tomorrow about 1030 for a bit of a bimble. 40/50km ish of local knowledge.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers greg, I just wrote a post but it vanished.

I'm going to head out round the peak and not drive anywhere. Losely arranged to meet up with mje too

Be great to meet up or a ride in the future though. I grew up in burnley and cut my teeth riding over Gorple road or through hurstwood and cant clough to get to calderdale for the riding. Back in the day on my diamond back and then y first ever full sus. The Kona king kikapu (rubbish urt bike)
Be great to try some of your local trails!

best
dk
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

We have plenty of sunlight in the coming months to make something happen :)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

That was grim. Macskive and I binned it at Glenmore Lodge as it was raining and snowing all day, with a horrible headwind too. He’s currently riding back to Blair Atholl while I sit on the comfy train instead. I’ve had more enjoyable rides certainly.

Oddly it seems to have cleared up now but we felt any pass through the Cairngorms could have been unwise in the conditions.

Edit: also, the Columbia Outdry jacket recommended on here is actually pretty poor for this. It just doesn’t breathe.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's been crap all day here. The occasional wee burst of sunshine breaking through between sleet showers. Well done for starting from BA in any case!!

How many turned up?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

F'ing freezing when I went out. Did 40km then sacked it off home for several cups of hot coffee.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:47 pm It's been crap all day here. The occasional wee burst of sunshine breaking through between sleet showers. Well done for starting from BA in any case!!

How many turned up?
There were 3 of us at 8 this morning, Martin, Andy (I think) and I. Andy didn’t depart with us so presumably left later. Unsure if there were any 10 starters.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Edit: also, the Columbia Outdry jacket recommended on here is actually pretty poor for this. It just doesn’t breathe.
Seems to depend on how your body regulates Alasdair. I don't tend to sweat a lot and run cool and never had a problem. I also figure that I prefer to be a bit clammy and mildly damp than properly soaked through to the skin :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way