Peak District winter bivy. On the wrong date! Weekend before

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: Peak District winter bivy. On the wrong date! Weekend be

Post by Asposium »

ianfitz wrote:Operation stash some fire wood was completed today.
:lol: :-bd
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Looks like I should be along this weekend :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Righto,

I'll be at the cafe in Eccy Woods (google map link in this thread somewhere) before 11, in time for a coffee. The plan is to ride out and over Stanage then drop down to Bamford and the Anglers pub/cafe for about 1:30. Mark will aim to meet us there.

Looking at the weather I'm thinking a fairly directish route towards Edale for food etc, probably in the Nags.

I'll be the one on the Cutthroat with the bags on. Confirm your attendance (and real name) :-bd below
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Yep, I will be coming.

Does anyone know if my car will be OK at Dore and Totley train station, info on the web says free but what about overnight parking ?

Andy
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Chicken Legs wrote:Does anyone know if my car will be OK at Dore and Totley...
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and vil...
No, wait, that's Mos Eisley. Dore is about as genteel as Sheffield gets.

See you tomorrow!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Chicken Legs wrote:Yep, I will be coming.

Does anyone know if my car will be OK at Dore and Totley train station, info on the web says free but what about overnight parking ?

Andy

Security wise I'd say yes, there's nothing I saw on the signs (albeit a while ago) about no overnight parking. If uncertain then I'd say leave it on Whirlowdale road - https://goo.gl/maps/QEwR2LyTQxS2
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

On my way...
FLV

Post by FLV »

How was it chaps?

My eldest was back from uni for the weekend so I couldnt really make it. Hope it wasn't too wet on the ground at the bivvy. I usually retire higher up the hill in that area :-)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

At times, type 2, but definitely fun.

Three of us set off from Sheffield (after a suitable pause for coffee and cake). Ian had picked the more interesting (read: longer, steeper, more nadgery) route out, and we huffed and puffed our way up Blacka Moor, making the most of some nice weather.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrTNbSShtLB/

As we reached the top of the moors, the weather turned into rain, at times the "freezing and blowing into your eyeballs like tiny shards of glass" variety. With an eye on the time, and a rendezvous with the Angler's Rest to make, we took the more direct route up Burbage and down Stanage, with some excellent new (to me) roads.
The café was well stocked with hot food and central heating, and with our party swelling to four, it was a slightly warmer crew that set off. Or nearly set off, as I wrestled with a recalcitrant café lock.

Having shown Andy some of the finer views of the Peak District, we were keen to continue the tour. So we took him round the back of the cement works.
After this, Ian headed for home, but not before disclosing the whereabouts of the *shifty eyes* firewood.

Next up was the Broken Road. Normally a decent challenge to climb, we were soon reduced to walking, lest we be blown over the edge! Darkness had now fallen, and we pushed on up Rushup Edge, before splashing and rattling down Chapel Gate into Edale. Here Mark left us for a cushy evening of babysitting, while Andy and I followed Ian's recommendation to visit the Nag's Head, where we put the open fire to good use, and enjoyed listening to Man City lose to Chelsea.

Last leg, up onto Hope Cross and into the woods. We made our way to the firepit, and eagerly sought out the wood. And sought, and sought, and sought. But to no avail.
Giving up on the notion of actively warming ourselves, Andy set up his tarp, and I tried to get mine up. After a number of attempts, I had a vaguely promising shelter, and we needed down for a series of not entirely satisfactory naps, the wind and rain doing a fine job of keeping us updated as to its presence.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrTQC2jg0ds/

Eventually morning broke, and we headed down to the shoreline, where Andy had a hard time believing we were next to a reservoir rather than a local stream. A few yards along the way, we met a now-retired reservoir worker, who told us it'd take until some point in January before the reservoirs were back up to their usual 28 bazillion gallons.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrTVF-2gah1/

We sipped a morning cuppa at the Yorkshire Bridge Inn, Andy being both surprised and delighted at getting change from a fiver, before I had my second wrestling match of the weekend with that feckin lock. Once free, we headed back up Stanage, and down into good old Sheffield.

Thanks to Ian, Andy and Mark for the company!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sounds pretty good. :-bd