Sussex bivi a month 2018

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Re: Sussex bivi a month 2018

Post by TheBrownDog »

simon72 wrote:Hey, nice to see more activity and interest in a Sussex bivi a month. My plans have been scuppered through injury. I had to take March and April off the bike. I still managed a few bivi's, but was just hiking. Now getting back on the bike slowly and looking to resurrect my BaM plans. Please shout if you are planning a Sussex bivi, I hope to join!
Does it count if you push your bike? I reckon so. I'm in that position this weekend. Ride my bike and risk re-injurying my flared up back and ruin any chance of having a proper two weeks outdoorsy holiday with the kid in Colorado ... or push my bike and claim BAM rights.
I'm just going outside ...
simon72

Post by simon72 »

@outandabout - well done! That is a lovely part of the SDW. You had perfect weather for a first bivi..

@browndog - I reckon as long as you bivi it counts, even though not technically a BAM.. I have had a few of those this year, as well as a bivi that was in a campsite :o (not by choice, I was helping on a DoE course).. I think the Bivi-Gods look positively on all forms of worship, whatever the denomination..
simon72

Post by simon72 »

Had a lovely weekend bikepacking. I was helping out with a DoE assessment and so rode a part of Sussex I would not normally bother with. Started at Haywards Heath and cycled to Ardingly Reservoir before hitting the bridle ways. There is so much terrain up there, however, I can tell that most of it would be completely impassable on a bike in muddy conditions. I ended up riding for about 4 hours each day (sat and sun) almost completely off road in the area between Ardingly and Wier Wood Reservoir. Even though I was obligated to camp in Blackland Farm near East Grinstead, I manage to find a nice bivi spot in some tress for my hammock. Loving this weather, only needed a 13ltr bar bag and small backpack. That said, I had beer and food delivered by car.. :-)
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I'm going to do the SDW next week. Done it many times before. Just wanted to ask if any of you local lot have done an extension to this?
From Sailsbury or Bath? Eastwards from Eastbourne?
simon72

Post by simon72 »

I had a really good 2 day bivi last weekend in the Isle of Wight. There was a cycle festival on and I attended an organised bivi with a group called “12 nights before Christmas”. It is a bivi a month gang. They are on Facebook.

It was so good that I am planning to have another bivi this weekend along the South Downs Way.

Weather looks good, just shout if you want to meet up.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Anyone got any good bivi locations to share?

I usually use the yew tree forest on top of Old Winchester Hill Fort.
Houghton Wood near Amberley.
Chanctonbury Ring is my favourite, great views, but it can get windy up there.
And a few small patches of woodland, but they are too small to have names.
simon72

Post by simon72 »

Towards the Eastbourne end, there is great spot at the top of the Southease Hill on the SDW, just off the path behind the tress on the north side. TQ442055.

Friston forest has a great spot I like that is sheltered yet still has views. TQ548004

For really bad weather there are some nice deep grass covered pits on the top of Wolstonbury Hill that are out of all wind directions and quite dry - no tree coverage though. TQ282138.

Although not technically a bivi spot, this is an interesting place near Amberly. It is a free to use, council run, "Wild camping spot".
https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-d ... mping-plot

I might check out Houghton Wood this Saturday night.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I don't have my OS maps with me but will check out the spots later.

I have stopped at the official bivi spot a few times, only for a break. It is nice, but I prefer to sleep where I won't get disturbed. It's handy with Amberley cafe, station and pub only a mile away. But Houghton Wood is also close, so I usually stay there.

If you are going to stay at H Wood, you can get water at Gumber Bothy and Amberley pub or cafe. Also watch out for the dead fall from the old ash trees. Lots of King Alfred's cakes.

Cheers for the recommendations.