Scottish Winter Bivvy

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy

Post by robbie »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:04 pm
robbie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:15 pm https://www.komoot.com/tour/574437021?s ... 2G&ref=wtd
This is probably the most direct route and best for keeping the feet dry. Avoids the worst bit of Buckny burn that is usually a swamp. If you want a longer route then head around the top lochan Ossineach Beag although this can also be a swamp on the east side.
Cheers Robbie - I had a bit of a mission crossing the burn near the end of that route a few years ago but there seems to be a footbridge now - is that the case?

Sarah's bothy is much like duinish in that its non MBA but well known by locals. I actually think its location spread by word of mouth faster than the internet, and several years ago.
I've not been up there for a few years. If I can find some motivation to actually go on a bike ride I'll try and check it out before your planned stay.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Robbie
Geograph seems to show and old stone arch bridge and the remains of a timber footbridge. My memory from 2017 was a swamp! There was an easier crossing down stream a bit.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I rode up from ballinluig and kept dry feet, the following day was torrential so I've no idea if the route down too dunkeld was dry under foot.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Taylor wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:13 pm I rode up from ballinluig and kept dry feet, the following day was torrential so I've no idea if the route down too dunkeld was dry under foot.
Did you encounter a locked, high gate?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Not that I recall, I remember going through a diamond shaped gate in a high fence though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thats the way I went up in 2018, right in the middle of that long dry spell. No locked gates then certainly. I think thats all core path??
joesteve

Post by joesteve »

I rode up that way from Dunkeld at the weekend. There was a huge herd of coos all on the track after the first gate just past Loch Ordie. It looked like they were being fed there and not easily avoided. We were going to do a loop around the two lochans but were pushed for time anyway so decided not to risk it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Anyone want to stick their neck out with any more plans or a route for this? I would happily get the maps out but I'm flying blind with no local knowledge. Wondering whether last weekend's storm has any impact in the area, particularly the forestry around of Dunkeld.

I have one friend who's probably coming with me, and two others who sound tempted.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye. Pm me and I'll send you a likely gpx. Looking like I'll be just heading up from Dunkeld.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I’ll probably ride in from home, which isn’t all that far.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks for the routes Phil. Just been looking at the map to see how we might be able to extend it - given it's a 3 and a half hour drive I'd like to get a bit more riding in.

One option would be to start from Bankfoot south of Dunkeld and use some of this route - not sure what the eastern side might be like where it goes through the forest, but road diversions should be possible, and the Glen Garr side looks nice.

On Sunday, it looks like there's at least a hint of a path heading north and then east down into Strathardle, and from there you can go up Glen Loch and over a small pass to Blair Atholl. The Sustrans route down Strath Tay would be a fairly easy return route to Dunkeld/Bankfoot, or could even get the train if necessary (the Sunday strike has finally ended right?).

Any advice on these bits? No fixed plans yet, but obviously would welcome company if people want to ride together.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The route up through glen Garr is a corker and well worth doing. May be a bit soggy in places but nothing too horrible.
North of the bothy you have to watch your route as whats on the OS isn't on the ground - a path peals off the track at Lochan Oisinneach at about the 'L' of Lochan on the OS 50k. It is as shown on Open Street Maps. This joins a doubletrack which you can follow to pick up the Cateran Trail. You could use this and some back roads to get back to Dunkeld via Loch of the Lowes. Or as you say go up to Kirkmichael and up the road a bit to pick up the track along Glen loch. Heading back to Blair Atholl is via the Cairngorms loop route and a good trail. From Blair Atholl you can follow the old road (otherside of the river to the B8079) to Killiecrankie and then the ace riverside path to Pitlochry. NCN7 back to bankfoot is nice and you can pick up a track between it and the A9 for the last bit.

I've probably got GPX's of most of that but you can probably working it out from the map. Will see how I go as that looks like quite a nice loop.

PS there is a good Co-op in Dunkeld for 'supplies' :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 pm The route up through glen Garr is a corker and well worth doing. May be a bit soggy in places but nothing too horrible.
North of the bothy you have to watch your route as whats on the OS isn't on the ground - a path peals off the track at Lochan Oisinneach at about the 'L' of Lochan on the OS 50k. It is as shown on Open Street Maps. This joins a doubletrack which you can follow to pick up the Cateran Trail. You could use this and some back roads to get back to Dunkeld via Loch of the Lowes. Or as you say go up to Kirkmichael and up the road a bit to pick up the track along Glen loch. Heading back to Blair Atholl is via the Cairngorms loop route and a good trail. From Blair Atholl you can follow the old road (otherside of the river to the B8079) to Killiecrankie and then the ace riverside path to Pitlochry. NCN7 back to bankfoot is nice and you can pick up a track between it and the A9 for the last bit.

I've probably got GPX's of most of that but you can probably working it out from the map. Will see how I go as that looks like quite a nice loop.

PS there is a good Co-op in Dunkeld for 'supplies' :grin:
Cheers Phil, all good to hear. Yeah I clocked the path north from the bothy heading round the east of the little wood on the satellite picture. Good to know it exists on the ground, though I suspect it could be boggy. Wet feet a raging certainty at some point during the weekend though.

Just going to be the two of us now, our other friends from the Tweed valley are dealing with the aftermath of the storm. Will post when we've figured out a plan in case anyone wants to tag along.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I rode up there yesterday to do a bit of route proving, mindful of the fact that I might possibly end up riding it in the dark this weekend. Incidentally, I used Robbie’s route. I’ve ridden quite a bit in this neck of the woods over the years, have bivvied at Loch Ordie and ventured as far north as Lochan Oisinneach Mor. I’m well aware how boggy the trails can get and was interested to see how they’re running right now.

From Cally car park up to Loch Ordie was plain sailing along firm tracks, gravel at first then frosted then hard packed snow. After Loch Ordie things get a bit more demanding i.e. a greater amount of snow with frozen rutted bike tracks and frozen puddles (of varying thickness – I lost count of the number I crashed through and had a couple of near OTB moments when my front wheel took a sudden dive). I was on my hardtail MTB with 2.2” tyres which was adequate but based on yesterday’s experience, I’ll be taking my fat bike.

Another (post-Loch Ordie) equipment point: I was using Goretex winter boots and SPDs. The boots ended up soaked due to a few bog submersions. On top of that the cleats became totally clogged up with hard packed snow and I grew tired of trying to free them up with a stick. Needless to say, flat pedals will be my choice this weekend and I’ll be wearing my Goretex walking boots with gaiters.

I encountered no locked gates en route. Or, more accurately, the one or two that were had a pedestrian/bike access gate to the side.

I won’t say too much about the bothy other than it’s comfortable, quite well stocked with wood and kindling and has a water source nearby. Lots of unused tea lights there but I’ll be taking some longer burning candles up with me. I also took a fire log and some gash wood offcuts and have stashed them in the vicinity. I think it’d be nice if others brought some sort of fuel, too, so that we don’t use up all that’s there.

By now darkness had fallen and I retraced my tyre tracks back to the mother ship. I’d thought of trying the Buckny Burn route down to the east side of Loch Ordie on the way out but decided against it – due to the darkness and it being almost guaranteed to be even more of a bogfest.

Hope the above helps. The weather, of course, may change between now and the weekend e.g. even more snow or the snow and ice may melt. In which case it might get even boggier. :lol:
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
robbie

Post by robbie »

Well done Jimmy. sorry guys I've not had a chance to get up and check it out as I've been in isolation with covid.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Not a problem Robbie. Wishing you a swift and full recovery from the virus.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers for that Jimmy, fat bike it is then! Although looking a fair bit milder towards the end of the week.
Get well soon Robbie
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks Jimmy. I've been keeping an eye on the forecast too and it looks milder, and wetter, at the weekend so I think bogginess is going to be our main enemy. I've already swapped the 29x2.2 on the back of my Longitude for a 27.5x2.8, but that's as fat as I get (good job I did as well because the cassette is not playing nicely with the chain and needs swapping for the new one that was also in my spares box - I like to get my money's worth :lol: ).

My Sealskinz are coming up for 3 years old I think (maybe even 4, I know they were a Christmas present) but they kept my feet bone dry last night on a 20 mile ride round some pretty well-soaked local tracks, so they're definitely coming with me, probably inside my Columbia Fairbanks.

I'll bring as much fuel as I can reasonably carry.

Get well soon Robbie. Take it easy for a bit if you've got symptoms, it seems to be quite persistent.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Yep, the forecast seems to be looking that way right now Dave. Sounds like you're planning a longer ride in so no need to go mad on the fuel side of things. A fire log (as I recall you brought last time) would be more than adequate. I'll bring another one.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Tbh I've been totally fine apart from a cough it's just the isolation over 2 weekends killed my chances to get up for a recce. All back to normal now 👍
Ian

Post by Ian »

The forecast isn't looking brilliant, but I'm going to ride in via the Cateran Trail from Blairgowrie, up as far as Pitcarmick and in from the north via Loch Oisinneach. Will be on the fat bike as well. Looking for the easy exit on Sunday, down to Dunkeld and home via Murthly Castle. How many is there going - six?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

6 so far if Ray is still coming?
Me
Ian
Dave
Dave's mate
Jimmy
Ray
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:36 pm 6 so far if Ray is still coming?
Me
Ian
Dave
Dave's mate
Jimmy
Ray

Looks like I won't make it, wife's not well. Have fun.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

We won't make it either. Fraser has a squad training session at SCH Velodrome on Sunday AM. Hoped to get along for our 12th BaM. Have a great weekend to those who go.
BaM 2021
Ian

Post by Ian »

Looking doubtful. Vaccine booster yesterday, absolutely banging headache this morning :sad: