Scottish Winter Bivvy

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy

Post by robbie »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:04 pm
robbie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:15 pm https://www.komoot.com/tour/574437021?s ... 2G&ref=wtd
This is probably the most direct route and best for keeping the feet dry. Avoids the worst bit of Buckny burn that is usually a swamp. If you want a longer route then head around the top lochan Ossineach Beag although this can also be a swamp on the east side.
Cheers Robbie - I had a bit of a mission crossing the burn near the end of that route a few years ago but there seems to be a footbridge now - is that the case?

Sarah's bothy is much like duinish in that its non MBA but well known by locals. I actually think its location spread by word of mouth faster than the internet, and several years ago.
I've not been up there for a few years. If I can find some motivation to actually go on a bike ride I'll try and check it out before your planned stay.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Robbie
Geograph seems to show and old stone arch bridge and the remains of a timber footbridge. My memory from 2017 was a swamp! There was an easier crossing down stream a bit.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I rode up from ballinluig and kept dry feet, the following day was torrential so I've no idea if the route down too dunkeld was dry under foot.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Taylor wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:13 pm I rode up from ballinluig and kept dry feet, the following day was torrential so I've no idea if the route down too dunkeld was dry under foot.
Did you encounter a locked, high gate?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Not that I recall, I remember going through a diamond shaped gate in a high fence though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thats the way I went up in 2018, right in the middle of that long dry spell. No locked gates then certainly. I think thats all core path??
joesteve

Post by joesteve »

I rode up that way from Dunkeld at the weekend. There was a huge herd of coos all on the track after the first gate just past Loch Ordie. It looked like they were being fed there and not easily avoided. We were going to do a loop around the two lochans but were pushed for time anyway so decided not to risk it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Anyone want to stick their neck out with any more plans or a route for this? I would happily get the maps out but I'm flying blind with no local knowledge. Wondering whether last weekend's storm has any impact in the area, particularly the forestry around of Dunkeld.

I have one friend who's probably coming with me, and two others who sound tempted.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye. Pm me and I'll send you a likely gpx. Looking like I'll be just heading up from Dunkeld.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I’ll probably ride in from home, which isn’t all that far.