Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearlegged »

Well, I've just learned that I'm very, very special and someone thinks they love me!
So that's cheery!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My missus thinks I'm very very special too, not sure she meant it in a good way.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Had my booster yesterday so decided to work from home in case of side effects, seem to be ok apart from a slightly sore arm so that's quite cheery.

Jane decorated the tree last night and sat at my 'desk' I just spotted these two, who I'd forgotten about, which made me smile :grin:

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The vikings are buggering our language
A lot of old Norse derived words up here in the north.

Lek -> laik (pron lake) meaning play around.
Foss -> force, waterfall
Bekr -> beck, stream
Fjell -> fell, mountain
Skree ->scree, talus
Baer -> suffix of 'ber' meaning farmstead
Suffix of 'by' meaning settlement/town

When we lived over in the North York Moors I worked with a Norwegian, he said he might as well have been in Norway when looking at the place names!

Anyway nearly finished digitising a whole load of records, started during the first lockdown last year just 38 to go out of 2400 :shock: Not been doing it full time you understand :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

whitestone wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:25 am Anyway nearly finished digitising a whole load of records, started during the first lockdown last year just 38 to go out of 2400 :shock: Not been doing it full time you understand :roll:
Vinyl...? What are you using...? I tried to do mine years ago, but the results were terrible...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Boab wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:01 pm
whitestone wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:25 am Anyway nearly finished digitising a whole load of records, started during the first lockdown last year just 38 to go out of 2400 :shock: Not been doing it full time you understand :roll:
Vinyl...? What are you using...? I tried to do mine years ago, but the results were terrible...
I'm guessing it's BGR completions... one of us* is going to be way off.

*Or both of us and it's something even more random.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Our most hated customer terminated our services today. This is fantastic news as next year I will not have to put up with their metropolitan demanding ill informed bullsheet bingo speak

...until they ring up having forgotten something and discover that we have moved out of our offices
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:08 pm

Sean wins (sort of) :-bd

Actually I'm cross referencing pacers and members. Currently 10700 names on the pacer list and 27,500 cross references :shock: At least I'm into the electronic records and don't have to decipher handwriting :lol:

I'd done the basic completion data a couple of years ago then was looking for something to do during lockdown. I reckon there's 400-500 hours of work so far
Boab

Post by Boab »

whitestone wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:25 pm

Actually I'm cross referencing pacers and members. Currently 10700 names on the pacer list and 27,500 cross references :shock: At least I'm into the electronic records and don't have to decipher handwriting :lol:

I'd done the basic completion data a couple of years ago then was looking for something to do during lockdown. I reckon there's 400-500 hours of work so far
I'd forgotten you did that... 😂
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:13 am The Rus were Norse too so they got about a bit, all the way from Greenland the Black Sea.
:-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Got to the last bread delivery of the day at local hostelry.

Invited in for coffee and breakfast, which consisted of glorious poached eggs and bacon on my sourdough, toasted with some panfried rainbow chard to garnish.

Don't mind if I do!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well Reg's Friday has suddenly got a whole lot more Cheery. Sitting in the sunshine in Eyam Tea Room, with coffee (loads of extra chocolate on top) and krispies n peanuts bar. Oh and some beer :-bd . They do 10% bikers discount so later on need to convince rest of contingent to pop in at least once more en route. An appropriate return to the plague village methinks!

Had to take a pic of all the cakes behind me...

Almost bought a Terry's choc orange to go with the Bubonic Orange beer....

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:55 pm Well Reg's Friday has suddenly got a whole lot more Cheery. Sitting in the sunshine in Eyam Tea Room, with coffee (loads of extra chocolate on top) and krispies n peanuts bar. Oh and some beer :-bd . They do 10% bikers discount so later on need to convince rest of contingent to pop in at least once more en route. An appropriate return to the plague village methinks!

Had to take a pic of all the cakes behind me...
A

'Eyam
plagued
again
' headline,

as reg returns with more mucky bikers :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

darbeze wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:46 pm Got to the last bread delivery of the day at local hostelry.

Invited in for coffee and breakfast, which consisted of glorious poached eggs and bacon on my sourdough, toasted with some panfried rainbow chard to garnish.

Don't mind if I do!
Do you know Dan of Five Doors up in Brixham

I'm his best customer I reckon
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Yay, I suppose I’m cheerful that my eldest didn’t manage to burn the house down. It would have been a lot worse if the fire alarm hadn’t gone off. Two hours and 2 bottles of leffe later my heart rate is almost back to normal and apart from two dead towels no permanent damage done.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheery at BDS mansions, have a copious supply of ‘Christmas’ IPA,s and exotic porters on tap, Fela Kuti is playing (can’t knock an artist who has an image of a horned Thatcher on his album cover) AND the postie dropped off a large parcel containing a rather nice turntable :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:36 pm
darbeze wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:46 pm Got to the last bread delivery of the day at local hostelry.

Don't mind if I do!
Do you know Dan of Five Doors up in Brixham

I'm his best customer I reckon
He was my main inspiration when I was starting out...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Should I have posted it here?
[link] : Newbies tip: Eating cow made 'flat pies' is bad for you :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Boab wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:29 pm
whitestone wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:25 pm

Actually I'm cross referencing pacers and members. Currently 10700 names on the pacer list and 26,500 cross references :shock: At least I'm into the electronic records and don't have to decipher handwriting :lol:

I'd forgotten you did that... 😂
Well I went for it and finished yesterday tea time :-bd

2660 members/rounds
10,800 pacers
26,700 cross references between the two

All that because of an internet "discussion" :roll: I bet there's a few mistakes in there :grin: Viewable/searchable here - http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=members At least I'm now set up with changes to user entry forms and the like that going forward it's a lot easier to add details from new completions. Just done a mysqldump of the database, 1.8Mb, need to get that "off-site" just in case :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A few hours early but Ruby and myself have just returned from the Peak district where I spent some time with my mum. Saw some old friends I'd not seen for quite a while and got my brothers Triumph running for the first time in 20 years. However, the really cheery bit is that I'm now back home and well away from all the reindeer antlers, snowmen in front gardens, flashing lights and general tinsel festooned madness :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Tsk. No christmas presents for you! Actually I know exactly what you mean as I'm increasingly fed up of people putting a serious dent in the National Grid with their christmas lights and in protest my house has no decorations whatsoever. However I'm currently ensconced in my parents house, and will be for the duration, which does have a modest amount of decorations and is extremely relaxing (on Dad's foldy out chair drinking beer, currently.) Hope to get some more bike riding done (two v wet rides so far) as well as tan my Dads beer supplies and eat lots of turkey and sprouts, which I like a lot. Cheers! :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:00 pm However, the really cheery bit is that I'm now back home and well away from all the reindeer antlers, snowmen in front gardens, flashing lights and general tinsel festooned madness :-bd
Reckon you'll still be popping up the road to watch Her Maj on the communal telly on Saturday though :grin:

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

I've had to start a bit early here because it seems daughter Perrin is already sneakily snaffling all the Purple Chocolates and if I don't make a move now I'll miss out big time. And I don't even like mince pies but, well, you just have to don't you?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No christmas presents for you!
Don't worry Phil, I know that already
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, and as a sort of anti-cheery, I took the bike to the man because the BB's been creaking. Not keen fiddling with that and it keeps someone in a job anyway. As a throwaway as I left I said "oh, may as well have a peep at the wheel bearings while you're at it, why not eh?". Just rang me and all three sets are buggered. Oh.