Perfect John, ta.
Boab

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Boab »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:10 pm
K1100T wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:50 am Live cricket on he telly box... 👍
Which channel please?
Channel 4.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't believe no one's having a cheery Friday. Me, I'm having egg and chips* for tea - it's more than just a meal, it's spiritual.

*I say chips but they're not really. They look like chips but I cook them in the oven**.

**No, not oven chips because they're horrible. These are real chips just that I cook them in the oven, so roasted I suppose.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheery in that I'm about to Join my pals household for tea and beers. Not so cheery as its to celebrate/commiserate my 50th birthday.... Will be much more cheery in about 3 hours time :mrgreen:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’ll chip in. The wine order has arrived. Helen has made a mistake and the Rioja she thought was white is red. She is not a fan of red. I’m sorted.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Happy birthday Phil and well done Dave :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Just had a visit from Hop Hideout Will.
We chatted bikes, the merits of quilts vs sleeping bags, and he left me with a bag full of nice beers.
:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:44 pm Can't believe no one's having a cheery Friday. Me, I'm having egg and chips* for tea - it's more than just a meal, it's spiritual.

*I say chips but they're not really. They look like chips but I cook them in the oven**.

**No, not oven chips because they're horrible. These are real chips just that I cook them in the oven, so roasted I suppose.
Ta for the CF reminder.

Yep, chips are cheery aren't they. Now, we've just had them as well and the whole oven/pan pan/oven argument, sorry I mean friendly discussion, to go with them.

Normally we'd 'roast' them too and they were with a pre-cooked (homemade and half-eaten last week) vegburger thing this time, so they'd both go in the oven so fairly power efficient. Then I thought it's a bit mental baking the burger a second time round so I'll do that in the nasty meecrowahvay. That then meant having the oven on just for the chips would have been very inefficient. Instead I parboiled them first, then fried them in an inch of oil in the same pan. Couldn't tell much difference oven or pan myself.

Controversially, and I throw this open to the usual Cheery Friday suspects for discussion, I chopped the spuds into half inch CUBES. Shades of Fawlty Towers and the 'amphibious landing craft shaped chips' there perhaps. So there's your question. What shapes are permitted? In the past I've also done crisp-shaped ones too.

It was a strange meal actually because with the chips and burger we had red cabbage cooked with oranges and cider which needed eating up. Waste nothing here so we get some dead weird combos to finish stuff off (*).

(*) another question: we have so many leftovers for meals I often wonder when we ate the pre-overs or whatever they're called! Maybe we somehow always have leftovers?
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

There's also the question of whether, taste aside, it's better to 'roast' or 'pan'. The oven must surely be more inefficient power-wise, but the pan method wastes cooking oil. Conundrum.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

So, depending on the shape, if they're in the oven are they potato wedges? I do them with a bit of oil* sprinkled over the top and some paprika. So is that a wedge or a spicy chip?

*Obviously being the 'south' that's extra virgin olive oil, I know virgin's are hard to find in the north so I guess you lot can just rub them in lard :lol: I type this whilst listening to New Model Army and the irony isn't lost on me that I'm not listening to some soft southern tosh about 'feelings' and choose instead a raging northern anthem about the fight against authority :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I chopped the spuds into half inch CUBES. Shades of Fawlty Towers and the 'amphibious landing craft shaped chips' there perhaps. So there's your question. What shapes are permitted? In the past I've also done crisp-shaped ones too.
Uhm, I do something similar if I'm making 'roast veg' - I find it helps in the battle to get all the different types of veg to cook in the same length of time. However, when I'm roasting potatoes and calling them chips, I feel obliged to make the 'chip shape'.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Just had a nice Chinese takeaway, feel really stuffed now. I'm gonna walk the 2 minutes to the Co-op in a mo to stock up on vin rouge and Stella and get bladdered.
I'd normally be looking forward to having the next week off from work for half term but I've decided to not use my days up to spend it at home and climb the walls. All being well I'd like to think they will be better used when this lockdown is over.
O how I'm longing to put the bike in the car and ride it somewhere different...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Hang on. Chips are done in lard or sunflower oil in a chip pan. Anything else is cooked potatoes
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

While we're on, anyone else absolutely fascinated to hear that Stonehenge is actually second-hand!!!? We've known the stones came from Preseli, but now it's been shown the blasted thing was first installed in Wales!!! I don't know why, but that makes me really cheery.

Big question now of course: like the Rosetta Stone, do us Sassies have to give it back????!!

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

We’ll be giving back the Elgin marbles and the sphinxes beard next
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I read that earlier Reg. I know what you mean about it being cheery. I love those hills and I shall be making a break for them as soon as able.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:44 pm Can't believe no one's having a cheery Friday. Me, I'm having egg and chips* for tea - it's more than just a meal, it's spiritual.
And since it's the only meal for you in about 24 h, 'ä guätä' (Bernese German for 'have a good one' - what we say to each other in Switzerland before eating).

I'm full of energy, it came to me in the afternoon, probably from the pizza and 200 g of icecream (after a rather hefty breakfast). Work was fun, the whole week went well. Now getting settled with weed and a special type of g&t (tastes like summer) after a short ride home in a crystal clear coldness loaded with groceries. Best part, I'll soon get my fatbike and gear ready for what's likely going to be the coldest weekend of this winter (so far, but it'll probably not get so cold again). Clear sky, lots of sun and -30 °C forecasted for sunday morning in the area where I plan to spend the night.
Restaurants will be closed, so not many options (only trainstations) to warm up when needed. Should be interesting and something to look forward to.

Edited, since the forecast changed from -31 to -30 °C.
Last edited by Alpinum on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry, I'm posing far too many questions at once here - well it is CF - so park Stonehenge for a moment, and recognise that we've focussed entirely on the chip side of things so far, to the detriment of the eggs. Being Stu, we need to know a bit about those as well - fried presumably? But not necessarily - poached, scrambled, could have been anything. Also, being Stu, I reckon they were eagle-owl eggs.....

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Hang on. Chips are done in lard or sunflower oil in a chip pan
I guess we're the only ones on here that use extra virgin olive oil in the deep fat fryer. Aciete d'Oliva is a form of currency around here, I did a little job on my neighbours' son's bso which involved pulling the chain from behind the cassette and adjusting the limit screw, payment was 4 litres of green nectar. We've been here 51/2 years and have yet to buy any. MrsPB translated a leaflet for a local producer and we were swimming in the stuff for weeks. She also won the weight of her bike in honey at the local race which did us for 18 months.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nothing exotic Reg, simply large free range fried in ground nut oil. 2 each and 1 for Dennis, he does enjoy a fried egg.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I had to have a second tea of chips and eggs :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark