Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I take it you have a tig welder Stu?
i have Phil but I'm sh1t - my dad always said, "you can join metal but you can't weld". I've tacked it up with a mig - plan is to see a bloke over the hill to tig it up, grind it back then get it ceramic coated.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:03 pm
RIP wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:54 am pipes
Oh. Post lady's just been. Invoice from Lincoln Diesels Ltd for eight cylinder liners. £4080. Plus VAT. You and your cheery.
They for the family runabout Reg?
Yeah, got a big family :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:36 am Ouch, what kind of diameter are those Reg? Are they a press fit or screwed in / held by mechanical means?
10" press fit. Seals gone, coolant in oil; new rings and a couple of pistons while we're at it. Ker-ching. X_X . Lucky still used in ships etc. Growing sunflowers much more sensible pastime.

Volvo estate?
RIP

Post by RIP »

I wish.

Massive bee swarm here now. Not sure if that's cheery or just downright blimmin' scary!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Less than cheery here :sad: Yesterdays overnight frost has taken all the tops off my potatoes and done for most of the sweetcorn
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling

Post by psling »

This dropped into my social media this morning and made me smile (and, I can't think why, made me think of our Reg :wink: ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nL6isGPhzk

Got me thinking of biking analogies; when i were young we couldn't afford tyres so had to wrap the rims with torn up sacks and we made our saddlebags out of cows stomachs after we'd suck the goodness out of 'em...
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin: . Yorkshireman? Terrible insult to a Derby Ram that is Peter :smile: .

Are you there H.O.T.T. ? Time for a sunflower competition check-in. Managed to rear 18 out the 24 seeds I planted in little trays. Time to move them on. Asked Mrs Perrin if I could transplant to the garden and she said 'funk that matey'. Oh. Bit of a setback. Intense negotiations got a concession of six being allowed in pots under sufferance so here they are:

She didn't care about the other 12. Euthanasia was suggested. What! So, took 'em down to the river to keep my oak saplings company. Very windy today but they seem ok:

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Sunflowers reminds me of this picture I took last August

There were areas of them throughout the field. It's next to the cycle track on my commute. I can only assume that they previously grew sunflowers in the field and they have self-seeded? I cant think of a reason to plant sunflowers in with a sweetcorn crop, unless it was just to make me smile as I rode past?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

"just to make me smile as I rode past" - best possible reason :-bd

Oh and being CF today and nice and sunny I think a little drinkypoos in the garden later will be in order. But a change from beers, because postie has been with a secret package.

It was a bit scary because Mrs Perrin heard the knock and nearly beat me to it. I managed to open the door and frantically signal to Her Postness whilst shouting 'oh look not more bills again' loudly. You know how you do it when you're expecting a very expensive and gratuitous bike part? Hid the box behind the sofa and opened it later.

Bottle of tequila from DistillersDirect - couldn't find in the shops. Even came with a little chocolate and message from Craig and Anna so that's nice. I'm really not into 'hard liquor' but.....

So, margaritas this evening. Only have them as a treat because things can get a bit out of hand as anybody misguided enough to have ridden with me on Winter Event '19 will remember. Suffice to say I'm infamous in Corris as '3 Margarita Man' spoken in hushed tones.

Cheery Friday to one and all.
:YMPARTY:

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You drank 'em yet Reg?
Blowing a hoolie here with intermittent (horizontal) dreich so no back garden beer for me. Got a works night out this evening though so I'm expecting several hours of frustrated attempts to speak to someone via the power of the internet whilst getting hammered on the many ales I've hoarded / accumulated over the last three months.

Re simple pleasures - watching the grass starting to grow on my newly extended back lawn and watching the soap opera that is a pair of blackbirds and a Robin with her two chicks (well youths now) interacting with each other and occasionally fighting over who gets a go in the dust bath.
Cheers! :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:42 pm So, margaritas this evening.
Cheery Friday to one and all.
:YMPARTY:
Oh no, not again :-SS
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

htrider wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pmgetting hammered on the many ales I've hoarded / accumulated over the last three months.
Hoarding beer ? What a novel concept, mine only last as long as they do because I like them chilled :lol:

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Very cheery here, spokes have finally arrived, the table is set for building :-bd just waiting for Mrs D to depart for the required zen like and tranquility.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:38 pm
htrider wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pmgetting hammered on the many ales I've hoarded / accumulated over the last three months.
Hoarding beer ? What a novel concept, mine only last as long as they do because I like them chilled :lol:
Its a new on one on me tbh and all the result of some great on line offers..... Overall there has been a net reduction in numbers but I still have a large stash under the floorboards which I plan to make a serious dent in this weekend
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Under the floorboards.....say no more :wink:

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Joining the BB sunflowers gang. Of the 6 seeds planted, 5 germinated, and have so far survived a couple of repotting upgrades.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Blimey you're way ahead Chris, how long have they been going? I think I'm week 3 and only about 6". I'm feeding mine some seaweed stuff but maybe it's time to wheel out the secret recipe.

H.O.T.T. reckoned his are some giant American import variety which is surely cheating....

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've not kept track really. They've had a nice sunny window sill indoors to get them started, and been outside about a week. As soon as I moved them out to the garden, they got a stray football, courtesy of child 1. No idea what variety they are.
RIP

Post by RIP »

No-o-o-oooooooooooooooooooo! What a hipster. But... today I just don't care. 'Cos.... it's Friday. And I didn't have one last Friday after all. There's lots of crap things going on and I do my best to try and help in various ways I really do, but at the same time it's not wrong to pamper yourself as well.

Any other self-pamperings going on? Anything counts - stupid cocktails; mug of proper tea and DFLDC; lying flat on your back in some long grass staring at the sky; chilllin' with an interesting book; pretending you're queuing in Golden Sands chippy; reminiscing about lying in a toilet block in the pissing rain with MaM; remembering crossing the Mawddach in a rowing boat with Pickers and two bikes with full BP gear, or watching H.O.T.T. having fun sliding on his back head-first down a snowy slope in his posh Outdry jacket; bunging Toy Dolls on the player for a few mad tracks; sitting in a carriage on the Shrewsbury-Aber 'party train' on the way to WRT '19 - as the only bloke present - watching all the prosecco-friskied scantily-clad laydeeez-night-outers trying to traverse the length of the carriage using only the luggage racks; listening to the birdies tweeting; or just doing absolutely nothing at all.... whatever takes your fancy.
Last edited by RIP on Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice Reg (I think) ... Me, I've laid down tools and picked up more tools and will (after making a brew) begin the delicate operation of assembling a seat for project Death trap. It's a delicate operation requiring both steady and clean hands (best put gloves on then). I could well knacker up considerable work in one fell swoop ... Dee did suggest I simply bought a seat but I can't see the fun in that.

I'm also keeping a watchful eye out for over eager fledgelings who keep jumping from nests and running round the yard like naughty kids. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

See, it's small things. :-bd

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

We've had take-a-way for jane's birthday, yes I know that was yesterday but the restaurant only does it on Fridays and Saturdays. It's from Nomad which is one of the hip places the cool kids go. It's the 'shut up and feed me' menu where in the restaurant you get 5 dishes and you don't know what they'll be until they bring them out. Tonight's was

Build your own pork belly bao bun
Truffled mac and cheese croquettes
Charred broccoli salsa mexicana
Jerk chicken, jerk sauce, pineapple
5 spice sweet potato

We washed that down with bombay bramble gin swiftly followed by a rhubarb and ginger gin :grin:

Good job I've had the gins to take my mind off the price. I won't say how much it was but if you imagine a normal Chinese take out is a straight alloy handlebar this was the Jones Loops of take out :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 pm Good job I've had the gins to take my mind off the price. I won't say how much it was but if you imagine a normal Chinese take out is a straight alloy handlebar this was the Jones Loops of take out :smile:
Aluminium, carbon or titanium? :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:44 pm Dee did suggest I simply bought a seat but I can't see the fun in that.
As mentioned previously, sometimes our lives seem to follow uncannily similar paths :lol:
Last edited by RIP on Fri May 29, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.