Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by frogatthefarriers »

whitestone wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm "the really small ones "pig taties" were for animal feed
Aah! I remember pig tattles. When I was a lad, dad used to keep pigs. He had a giant pressure cooker to boil ‘taters for feed. Me and my mate used to wait for feeding time and take the freshly boiled potatoes. They were boiled unwashed, in the skins. The skins would come off dead easily, and oh how tasty were those spuds.

Memories ! Potatoes have never tasted so good.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

There's a gang of us who often go for post-work beers on a Friday. We had our first session over video calling this evening. It was good to catch up with everyone. :YMPARTY:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My missus is due to start virtual cocktails with some of her friends as soon as the kids are asleep
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I made a lovely seat hinge, a seat base and frenched the back light into my mudguard - little things but it's all progress when you're making virtually everything from scratch.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sorry it's a day late but this happened yesterday.
We've been in lockdown for 2 weeks now and rules say you can only go for food, fuel etc on your own. MrsPB has had respiratory issues for the last few months with sinusitis and bronchitis so I'm the hunter/gatherer. Had to go to the village yesterday for post and the farmacia for some prescribed meds for Trish. Next door to the farmacia is a small bakery, 1 of 5 in a village of less than 600 people. You have to queue in the street outside the farmacia and I was waiting for about 30 mins during which time there was a stream of people furtively going into the bakery and emerging with large plastic bottles of a dark liquid. Once I'd got her meds, curiosity got the better of me and I called into the bakery and asked what the bottle contained. Red wine from our valley was the reply, only available in 5 litre bottles from under the stairs, for the princely sum of 6 euros! We've just tried it (We're an hour ahead don't forget)and it's lovely!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:24 pm We've just tried it (We're an hour ahead don't forget)and it's lovely!
Given the current situation I don't think we need to worry about any arbitrarily rules about when it's acceptable to drink. I'll be putting ale on my cornflakes if we run out of milk :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 pm I made a lovely seat hinge, a seat base and frenched the back light into my mudguard - little things but it's all progress when you're making virtually everything from scratch.
Sorry if I am a bit late, but what ya building Stu??
Please let it be a old skool hardtail chopper!
I`d love to build one but wouldn`t know where to start, I can make most things from wood (my trade) but a chop may be a step too far!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

:-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you've got clear skies locally then the crescent moon and Venus are in reasonably close conjunction at the mo.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Jurassic pusher wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 pm I made a lovely seat hinge, a seat base and frenched the back light into my mudguard - little things but it's all progress when you're making virtually everything from scratch.
I`d love to build one but wouldn`t know where to start, I can make most things from wood (my trade) but a chop may be a step too far!
C'mon Rob!

I'm sure you've got the bits knocking about.

You've already got the helmet.

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Have you rode an "old skool hardtail chopper" ? My mate had a z650 one
I used to service, after every time I rode it my teeth were chattering and not from
The cold, I'm sure I could put a claim in for something :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you rode an "old skool hardtail chopper" ?
Plenty :wink:

If I'm completely honest, it's partly about the making and creating for me.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Fair enough, that z was bloody horrible to ride but nice to look at :-bd
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

macinblack wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:20 pm
Jurassic pusher wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
C'mon Rob!

I'm sure you've got the bits knocking about.

You've already got the helmet.

The front forks look a bit on the firm side, but a lot of work went into the wheels, and yes, I do already have the helmet but try to save it for those "special" Saturday nights!
Do you remember them??
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Only from pictures Rob.
My memories are scrambled from that time, particularly the memory about wearing it in a generator shack and how electricity works.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dont think I've ever posted on here but here goes... techbically for me Friday has commenced (night comes before the day in Islam) and I think this is the thread that I always looked at as, lets cheer someone up (or, can't wait to get pissed on the weekend)... :lol:

Anyway, before someone gets offended I shall tell ya why I'm frequenting this lovely quarter...

Free to a good home. Carrera Blast20. From my little one to your little one :-bd (its just been sat there as he and she have outgrown it)... Happy to work with the new owners mum/dad to get it to ya somehow
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:53 am
Have you rode an "old skool hardtail chopper" ?
Plenty :wink:

If I'm completely honest, it's partly about the making and creating for me.
Ridden a fair few miles on a rigid Ariel and its surprisingly comfortable. Bit like riding a rigid / hardtail versus a bouncer really - you learn to avoid the worst bumps and anticipate the ones you can't. I know a few guys who rode rigid chops with feet forward footrests and high bars and this could play hob with your back, like on a bike its about being balanced front and rear. Sprung seats help and lead to amusing episodes of being bounced into the air if you fail to anticipate a bump!

Antler rally 2010 (Best bike over 50 years old!)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye this has a spring seat Phil. Just awaiting some leather so I can cover it.

No long forks though, I've just shortened them 5" and the bars are more 'Brooklands drops' although the steel stockholders told me yesterday that they can't deliver the 7/8" cds tube I'd ordered so pipe bending will have to wait for now.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Missus has cough, temperature, headache so starting self isolation. 7 days for her, 14 for me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Welcome to the club Colin. Commiserations to Mrs Routes and hope it's 'mild'. Obviously you'll be tending to her needs, but do have a few diversions lined up. Had my 'tarp day' which was enjoyable, and today (day 14 of 14, yay) is - Knots Day. Hours of amusement. (Mrs Perrin: "Oh for goodness sake. What are you doing?"). Still trying to perfect my Highwayman's Hitch (' quick get away hitch') but its three bights needs 3 pairs of fingers, and my Buntline Hitch seems to be hard to memorise for some reason.

Anyroad, I never get tired of the Truckers Hitch:
We like truckin' and we like to truck
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

As cheery as can be in these times. Postie turned up with a my new tarp so guess what I'll be doing tomorrow :-bd
Also still got plenty beer in. Cheers all :-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Postie turned up with a my new tarp so guess what I'll be doing tomorrow
Lines should be with you tomorrow :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Brill cheers stu, I'd got various shoe laces looked out as an interim measure...
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

No real Friday cheer this week as on nights :lol: & I've still got Saturday/Sunday to do yet :|
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Well, today brought two beer deliveries, and a hose adapter for the outside tap, which should bode well for virtual BAM.
Unfortunately, it also brought a sprained (hopefully) foot for Mrs Landslide, which may bode ill for VBAM. We'll see...