Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:13 am I've been put in charge of a large tarmac roller ... what were they thinking :shock:
Just make sure everyone around you is wearing steel toecaps
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:13 am I've been put in charge of a large tarmac roller ... what were they thinking :shock:
Maybe they're BB200 entrants and they're hoping you'll take it round this years route to flatten down the tussocks? :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Boab

Post by Boab »

That you'd drive it over all the bridleways the BB200 is going down to flatten them out a bit...? :pray:

Edit: I see I was beaten to that one a bit... :laugh:
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Boab wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:49 pm
That you'd drive it over all the bridleways the BB200 is going down to flatten them out a bit...? :pray:

Edit: I see I was beaten to that one a bit... :laugh:
ThaT makes you a tussock whomper!
that only sounds slightly better than 'Tussock Humper' as in tee shirt fame.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

After nearly 5 months of waiting, I've just received a call to say that the cams and followers from project Death Trap are finally ready. Hopefully, that's the last major hurdle hurdled. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well this week's turned out sh1te :sad:

Got stung by by a bee on the inside of my lip on Sunday, most of the week I've had a puffed up face.
Last weekend a friend had a cardiac arrest whilst out riding his bike and passed away.
This morning I rang a friend to make some arrangements only for her to say that this week she'd been diagnosed with terminal cancer with a very short life expectancy.

Apologies for the sombre post...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'kin hell Bob, that is a pretty crappy week by anyone's standards. Hope it gets better.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

whitestone wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:07 pm Well this week's turned out sh1te :sad:

Got stung by by a bee on the inside of my lip on Sunday, most of the week I've had a puffed up face.
Last weekend a friend had a cardiac arrest whilst out riding his bike and passed away.
This morning I rang a friend to make some arrangements only for her to say that this week she'd been diagnosed with terminal cancer with a very short life expectancy.

keep positive for your friend, visit if you can it'll help her greatly.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

whitestone wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:07 pm Well this week's turned out sh1te :sad:

Man, that really is the definition of it "coming in threes". Sounds rubbish.

For folks of a certain generation:

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sorry to hear that Bob, life can be rubbish at times.

I'm currently in a premier inn at Oswestry which was the best I could come up with pre BB200 digs wise so will be an early start tomorrow. Hopefully I've remembered everything.....
I think I need a van!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Life will go on.

I've used the Travelodge in Oswestry a few times when heading down to Llanbrynmair. It's about an hour from there. The garage on the roundabout is open 24hr so you can grab a butty and coffee there. Don't take the sat-nav suggested route over the tops, go through Welshpool and Newtown (watch your speed on the bypass) to Caersws and turn off to Llanbrynmair there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:24 pm Life will go on.

I've used the Travelodge in Oswestry a few times when heading down to Llanbrynmair. It's about an hour from there. The garage on the roundabout is open 24hr so you can grab a butty and coffee there. Don't take the sat-nav suggested route over the tops, go through Welshpool and Newtown (watch your speed on the bypass) to Caersws and turn off to Llanbrynmair there.
:-bd
Thats pretty much my plan. Already had an argument with the sat nav so paper map enabled :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:42 pm :-bd
Thats pretty much my plan. Already had an argument with the sat nav so paper map enabled :grin:
Put HereWeGo on your phone, (Here Apps LLC)
down load the off line maps, (it saves data and power) by UK, region so Both England & Wales. or any where else in the world. :-bd
Search the route off or online if you want to include live traffic info whilst planning. go online :-bd - then turn to off line mode [setting- keep going down screen] .Display your preferred navigation 'skin' - your choice 2D with compass/ 3d auto rotating map with tilt so road is shown you see it. :-bd. It's Great for in dark. advance warning for corners blind junctions on summit's etc. Still read the signs! :-b

Of all the phone sat nav apps I've tried, this still has zero lag. (So no you 'should have go down that Road you just passed' rubbish; 'Cos I'm slow showing where you are... ~X( ). It also very data lean so download just the extra data required no the whole maps. if you already downloaded maps. :ugeek:
Google Waze is better for showing road works/obstructions, pop up type no planned projects, but is a data hog & still lags a bit.
it also work with apple car play & blue tooth in car (but not Goggle android auto :-bd, blame the big G)

Like Google& all mode of transport is Car/Bus & train /On Foot. (by cycle has just disappeared :???: ).
as a bonus it also includes public transport info. (next train :-bd) LocaI for fuel stations/banks/cash points/shops & eateries etc. this is great when your abroad aswell. :-bd when online. (online switch in setting)

the kids at the time christen the female voice satsuma :lol:
* a new feature P wher did I park my Cark. Great for huge airport car parks or places that are unfamiliar...

an you guess I'm sold! :-bd.

A little background about its routes, if your suspicious.

It was originally written as Nokia HERE Maps (2008), and now owned by a consortium of Deutsch auto manufacturers-Audio, BMW& Daimler.
I have found it very dependable and it has saved a few lost people when the added it to their phone by WiFi when the whole O2 cell network crashed a few years ago they didn't know what an atlas was :-O
Verena

Post by Verena »

Hi everyone, sorry I missed CF, and most of everything on here recently, been busy getting ready for holidays, now on holidays where my young'un is the smartphone police and tells me off whenever she catches me on it :roll:
So just quickly while I've sneaked out on deck for an early coffee - sorry to read about your rubbish news Bob.
And best of luck to everyone on the BB2/300 this weekend.
I have the mixed blessing of being on a cruise ship with my parents and a load of German OAPs....I thought the closest I'd get to a bike would be the tiny gym, but much to my relief the ship hires out bikes! So we used them yesterday to explore Kopenhagen, very nice too, and the same today in Stralsund, then Travemuende tomorrow.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:10 am
I have the mixed blessing of being on a cruise ship with my parents and a load of German OAPs....I thought the closest I'd get to a bike would be the tiny gym, but much to my relief the ship hires out bikes! So we used them yesterday to explore Kopenhagen, very nice too, and the same today in Stralsund, then Travemuende tomorrow.
it on our to do list, may be for our 25th! The Better h'alf did a term/semester as a student In the late 80's there at the Uni. doing viking history & their impact on Great Britain. she recommends going to Roskilde and Elsinor (spelling? ) . May be not day trips, but for another time. :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I jarred my back, it's is easing :-bd (bouldering indoors on Tuesday dropped, 3m onto crash mats still hurts at my age ). Vitamin I and moving helps :-bd
sun's out here, that's enough for me :YMPARTY:
Last edited by ledburner on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Off for October BAM in a bit, not quite sure where to yet, will just ride and see where I end up.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Cheery - Went to the optician to get an eye test and new pair of glasses, after mine fell to bit last weekend.
Not so cheery - I now require a second mortgage, as I bought two pairs and combined, they were more expensive than my bike. The worst bit? I'll need a third pair, as no way am I wearing either of them while riding a bike... :face_palm:
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well you can't say our Dan is windy about taking on new challenges!

https://www.thenational.scot/news/1 ... e-change/
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Holy crap, that is a rough week.
Grubby little urchin.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Realtively cheery:

Went to the hospital for the third this time this month today searching for why I've pain in my chest and a limited ability to breathe properly.

Had a big syringe of liquid drawn from my pleural sac which is going for tests.

CT scans suggest there might be a tiny clot in my lung, so going back for another scan soon.

Doctor said not to worry about sinister outcomes.

Might have a brief ride out on the bike this weekend.

:smile:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The village where we do all our official stuff, pay land taxes(€100 pa)register the car, etc has about 700 residents, most of whom are over 80. It still boasts an adjuntament (town hall) employs about 10 people running the dump, cleaning the streets, cutting trees etc. As we've come to the end of the summer when bonfires are strictly banned, you have to renew your burn licence, allowing burning of olive brashings and other undergrowth. Pitched up this morning with the old certificate so they could just copy the name and address and presented myself at the office window. The proper name for the certificate is Licensio de Incendio but the middle aged lady who we've yet to see smile simply spun around from her desk and shouted "FOC??" (Catalan for fire)
Felt like replying, "seeing as you've asked so nicely", but thankfully my Catalan doesn't stretch that far, made me smile though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hope all OK Rich
Cheery for me in that it is Friday and bike riding awaits, but annoyingly my back is playing up after a two year hiatus of relatively pain free living. I'm going to treat it with beer tonight in the hope it doesn't prevent a gentle amble around the tay estuary tomorrow.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Richpips wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:07 pm Realtively cheery:

Went to the hospital for the third this time this month today searching for why I've pain in my chest and a limited ability to breathe properly.

CT scans suggest there might be a tiny clot in my lung, so going back for another scan soon.

All the best Rich, could it be mild pneumonia.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:27 pm
Richpips wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:07 pm Realtively cheery:

All the best Rich, could it be mild pneumonia.
Not sure Dave, I've already had one course of doxycycline t'other week that didn't clear it. Not coughing and don't feel ill (other than the shortness of breath).