Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:01 am Very wise Reg and I see the weather gods have decided to add a little something to the expected chaos :wink:
Is it safe to come out yet?

I've been hiding for nearly two days now and I need a wee.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Firstly, after raining for 48 hours - it's stopped. That in itself is enough but better is the fact that last week while tillering a bow it decided to 'self adjust' which left me with a piece of Yew far shorter than I'd had 2 seconds previously. The solution was to turn it into a kids bow which I got finished this morning.

Tomorrow, I shall make a surprise gift of it to a young girl so she can go shooting with her grandad.

May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m definitely in a cheery mood, I’ve not ridden my bike for over five days! Although this might seem an odd reason to be cheery it means I’ve been at work! I work in the theatre/film/entertainment rigging business and it’s grim. First to close and last to open....I was expecting to be redundant come August but maybe, just maybe we can eek it out long enough.
And I’ve got a nice IPA in the fridge, it’s wondering why I’ve neglected it for a week :X
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:46 am Firstly, after raining for 48 hours - it's stopped. That in itself is enough but better is the fact that last week while tillering a bow it decided to 'self adjust' which left me with a piece of Yew far shorter than I'd had 2 seconds previously. The solution was to turn it into a kids bow which I got finished this morning.

Tomorrow, I shall make a surprise gift of it to a young girl so she can go shooting with her grandad.

You’re good at those Stu :-bd :grin:

Fish, chips and Double mushy peas from the local pub and a paddle in prospect tomorrow. Things are good and looking up
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheery: postie brought "From A Wooden Canoe" book. A sort of Jack-Hargreaves-Does-USA-Backwoods. A nice read anyway. Suspect from Someone on Here but not sure this time.

Not Cheery: Toy Dolls gig has been deferred from this May to next January. Now deferred to next September!!!!!!

Not Cheery: our upstairs outside iron bog downpipe has appeared to be leaking recently - there's a crack and a wet patch around base where pipe cemented into porcelain bend as it goes underground. Other day prepped it and concreted it. While later still seems to leak. Eh? Bashed it all off, sealed the joint better first, stronger concrete mix. This morning - wet again! Gonna have to replace the whole bend :sad: . JUST as inspecting, drip of water on my ear. Look up, bog overflow pipe dripping! What an idiot! :oops: Still, the downpipe did need fixing too anyway, ahem.

Cheery: bog pipe bend doesn't need replacing after all.

Cheery: may as well have a BBB Sunflowers Competition update, as below. Been having terrible trouble with slugs, apparently sunflowers are gourmet food for them. Tried cooking foil round the stalks, raising on bricks, etc. No joy. Finally put pots in washing up bowls filled with water. Surely the sods can't swim? Success! How's yours going folks? HOTT?

So that's 2 Not Cheery and 3 Cheery. On balance, I'm ahead.

(offending bog pipe features in background):

Last edited by RIP on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m not even in the game, less than half the height of yours. You did have a head start but I suspect it’s the Yanks blowing their own cornet.
Giant my arse!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

I thought yours were ahead of mine when we started?! They started sluggishly (WRONG WORD! :smile: ) but suddenly took off. Bung a load of seaweed feed or tomato feed on to turbocharge them :-bd .

Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Off camping tonight straight after work, first time since January! Just stuffed all my gear in a backpack last night so my bike is still ready for a group ride tomorrow morning but short cycle in, hammock up, few beers then kip, can't wait!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I started working from the office again this week. After getting in this morning and switching my computer on the power went off, further investigation came up with nothing, all the trips are ok. It's only the sockets on the floor we rent, called the boss who cant get hold of the letting company.

Cheery - The boss said to just have the rest of the day off as without the power I cant connect to the remote server :grin:

Not so cheery - I text Jane to let her know I was heading home and she said I can strim the rough bit around the edge off the garden as I'm free :sad:

Cheery - I'll have the strimming finished by lunch time and can then spend the afternoon deciding what to take on tonight's bivi :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sean, Very Cheery: you're not stuck at the bottom of that dodgy mini-chine. Unless it's tonight's bivvy spot....

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The mini chine will be Monday evenings fun, don't want to get cut off by the tide so waiting until I get a bigger low-tide window to head along the beach.

Tonight I'm planning a trip up to Ventnor Down to see if I can spot (and photograpth) the comet :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I believe I win today because .... I had an attractive young lady live streaming a yoga class in the yard this morning (no really I did). I think it was going really well until the postman nearly ran over her part way through and then Dennis the dog had a coughing fit shortly after.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:35 pm .... I had an attractive young lady live streaming a yoga class in the yard this morning.... and then Dennis the dog had a coughing fit shortly after.
I hope that's not a euphemism :shock: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Pictures or it never happened :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

👍 Had a face-to-face, well Google Meet, job interview that seemed to go well.
👍 Having Vanderlyle to go this evening, as it was our 16th wedding anniversary yesterday.
👍 Son is going out on his bike this afternoon, without any prompting. He's off to some local woods where some of his friends have been building some jumps during lock-down. 👍👍
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cheery Friday for me means a late afternoon ride before a cold beer at ~6ish. To make it cheerier I just found my tub of Assos that is needed after the last week or 2's mileage. Plus, I found a mystery small tub of white cream that is certainly medical in some way.

Q - shall I apply that before riding in the name of science / the Diceman approach?

(well we have 'Bum Butter' and 'Oh Arse' on the 1st page right now ... may as well add to that)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pictures or it never happened
Dee says she's coming back at 6 to do another :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Few beers tonight, ride bike into wilderness tomorrow, back sometime on Monday
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:55 pm
Pictures or it never happened
Dee says she's coming back at 6 to do another :-bd
's'half past now, matey. Chants: "pics, pics, pics, PICS, PICS, PICS, we want PIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCSSSS" .

Reg 'Obviously Starved Of Friday Night Entertainment' Perrin

RIP

Post by RIP »

jameso wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:53 pm
Q - shall I apply that before riding in the name of science / the Diceman approach?
Sounds risky to me, it'll be Fiery Jack which you absolutely do not need in close proximity to the clock weights . Play this for the full effect whilst slathering it on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHv7MGQRYkE

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For all the non-believers here's Nat doing her thing (and Dennis doing his). I believe she'll be doing this every day now for the next fortnight.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Not the downward dog I'm familiar with, but I guess Dennis knows what he's doing.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Dread to think what those tyre marks suggest had been happening before the photo.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

macinblack wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:50 pm Dread to think what those tyre marks suggest had been happening before the photo.
Presumably the tyre marks are where the postman turns round if he nearly ran her over? Perhaps not putting the yoga mat at the end of a tyre track would reduce the chances of getting hit by a van :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

They're not tyre tracks, it's a runway for Yogic Flying