Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

Hope you got the black one - looks well menacing does that.

Just need someone to make 'em in the UK now...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:24 pm Hope you got the black one - looks well menacing does that.

Just need someone to make 'em in the UK now...
Black? It’s a dark camo print.
I did notice that the deschutes is now available in DCF @230g was tempting but I was very impressed by Scots plexamid. The Aktaplex is a little taller and will keep the fabric away from my bag a little better, can’t wait, although using it in the garden will be an anticlimax.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

"camo" - oops, sorry yes you said :wink: . Their w/site shows 4 colours.

Interesting to read this review: https://www.keithfoskett.com/no-solvent ... er-review/. Note the tip about converting the single front stake to three. It does seem a bit wierd there's 7 round the back and 1 in front, with standard setup.

Looks ace obviously. Please sell it to me when you've had enough of it. :grin: . Still prefer black though :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri May 01, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:18 pm Last weekend Helen and I got bored so decided to make out own album covers. As a little Friday treat (not) see how many you can get

Have Dave's images died? or is it just my connection, I saw them earlier not they are not there ;-(
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooh yes you're right. They've been expunged! Too racey for some :smile: .

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sometimes I make a rod for my own back :oops:

I've got a big pile of paper forms from which I've extracted the basic information into a database but then muggins had to go and think: I'll cross reference the names and what they did :roll:

Yesterday I extended the database design so I could link everything up, created all the data entry screens and made sure things worked by doing the first four or five.

It doesn't help that the data I'm interested in isn't in a consistent format so you couldn't automate it, sometimes it's on a printed form but sometimes it's in general text. Some of the data is typewritten, some handwritten. Of course some people refer to "Richard" and others "Dick" or worse "D." so I've got to figure if they are one and the same and the only way to do that is to find if they're on the main list and if they are then look at their form but of course it's 300 ahead in the sequence. Then there are the spelling mistakes! Of course there's the inevitable form that just has names but no roles so extend the database and rework the screens.

So today I've been plugging away and got to number 50 :-bd I've just got another 1500 or so to go. Then I get on to the spreadsheets - at least they'll be legible!

Time for a walk, then get the fire lit and some wine methinks :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:50 pm Looks ace obviously. Please sell it to me when you've had enough of it. :grin: . Still prefer black though :wink: .
Don’t think it will happen, like the Fargo I think this will be ‘the one’ I’ll need something a bit bigger as well for when my lad comes with me, the telemark was just about big enough.

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

RIP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:50 pm "camo" - oops, sorry yes you said :wink: . Their w/site shows 4 colours.

Interesting to read this review: https://www.keithfoskett.com/no-solvent ... er-review/. Note the tip about converting the single front stake to three. It does seem a bit wierd there's 7 round the back and 1 in front, with standard setup.

Looks ace obviously. Please sell it to me when you've had enough of it. :grin: . Still prefer black though :wink: .
I've added the two front tie outs to my Altaplex, a la Keith Foskett, and it makes a big difference. I used some of these larks-footed through the tie out loops:

https://www.treadlitegear.co.uk/4-x-lin ... p-87-p.asp

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Funny you should mention that 150cm four piece would be grand
Leave it with me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Another happy owner there :smile: . Obviously not heckling your choice of locs there Michael, but one of my bugbears is overengineered straps. One could probably hold up the proverbial double-decker bus with those grosgrains. Must weigh almost as much as the shelter. Rip 'em off and stick some 1.5mm dyneema on the locs instead :wink: .

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

RIP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:17 pm Another happy owner there :smile: . Obviously not heckling your choice of locs there Michael, but one of my bugbears is overengineered straps. One could probably hold up the proverbial double-decker bus with those grosgrains. Must weigh almost as much as the shelter. Rip 'em off and stick some 1.5mm dyneema on instead :wink: .
I couldn't help myself and I had to check. 2g each.
Bilbo Baggins.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:wink: . It's the look of them that upsets me :smile: .

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

RIP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:24 pm :wink: . It's the look of them that upsets me :smile: .
:grin: I'm the opposite; I bought it used and replaced all the lineloks that were tied on with dyneema with the sewn crosgrain loops.
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ahh, trouble with those locks is that you can't use proper thin line ... there's a knock-on effect to consider here people :wink:
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:30 pm Ahh, trouble with those locks is that you can't use proper thin line ... there's a knock-on effect to consider here people :wink:
I had some really thin line on my hammock tarp that I replaced after finding it to be a massive pita to remove knots in it, even on a pleasant evening with a lake view. I didn't want to repeat the experience in the cold, wind and dark.
Bilbo Baggins.
RIP

Post by RIP »

The Cumbrian wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:37 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:30 pm Ahh, trouble with those locks is that you can't use proper thin line ... there's a knock-on effect to consider here people :wink:
I had some really thin line on my hammock tarp that I replaced after finding it to be a massive pita to remove knots in it, even on a pleasant evening with a lake view. I didn't want to repeat the experience in the cold, wind and dark.
Right then, since it's Cheery Friday I'm happy to push this to ridiculous lengths as usual :smile: . Actually this is a really sensible idea now I've thought about it. No, honestly it is. Even better, it's A Project for you Stu. Involving carbon loveliness, yes indeed.

So, firstly, Michael needs to bin off the webbing completely. Then he goes to t'BBB shop and orders some "BBB World's Lightest Line" which Stu is about to start purveying if he can sort it out with his supplier. Stick some on each loc, plus larksfoot, and away you go. This line is made of carbyne. I was reading about it recently. It's been around for a while, and is unbelievably just ONE carbon ATOM in diameter. 1.5mm dyneema, pah! It is claimed that "carbyne has mechanical properties that are unmatched by any known material, as it even outperforms the mechanical resistance and flexibility properties of graphene and diamond". I'm just going back to investigate a bit further....

Oh.

Apparently at the moment the maximum length of thread is 6400 atoms long. Still, that's probably enough for a superlight version of Sean's bear shelter.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Dave’s album covers
1) Bruce
2) This is really annoying me! Wants to say greenday :roll:
3)
4) Blink 182
5) Nirvana
6)
7)
8)
9)
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Was going to leave it to others but seeing as you've started it off...

I think:

2- Bowie
3 Fleetwood Mac
6 The Clash
7 Madness - Love the bears as band members
8 Grace Jones
9 King Crimson - The nose is perfect.

Brucie bonus' left for those that want to name the albums. I'm not greedy.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

1) Born in the USA Bruce Springsteen
2)Alladin Sane Bowie
3)Rumours Fleetwood Mac
4)Enema of the People Blink 182
5)Nevermind Nirvana
6)London Calling Clash
7)1 Step Beyond Madness
8)Island Life Grace Jones
9) King Crimson ?..
Top work Dave and Helen.
Raising the bar yet again
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

RIP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:26 pm
The Cumbrian wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:37 pm
Right then, since it's Cheery Friday I'm happy to push this to ridiculous lengths as usual :smile: . Actually this is a really sensible idea now I've thought about it. No, honestly it is. Even better, it's A Project for you Stu. Involving carbon loveliness, yes indeed.

So, firstly, Michael needs to bin off the webbing completely. Then he goes to t'BBB shop and orders some "BBB World's Lightest Line" which Stu is about to start purveying if he can sort it out with his supplier. Stick some on each loc, plus larksfoot, and away you go. This line is made of carbyne. I was reading about it recently. It's been around for a while, and is unbelievably just ONE carbon ATOM in diameter. 1.5mm dyneema, pah! It is claimed that "carbyne has mechanical properties that are unmatched by any known material, as it even outperforms the mechanical resistance and flexibility properties of graphene and diamond". I'm just going back to investigate a bit further....

Oh.

Apparently at the moment the maximum length of thread is 6400 atoms long. Still, that's probably enough for a superlight version of Sean's bear shelter.
The line I used was even thinner, but as it was made out of electrons it was only there 180,000 times a second, which made it a right bugger to untangle.
Bilbo Baggins.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

You need to read up, now this is a complicated entanglement :shock:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Knots? Easy :-bd

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

That's just complicating things. Are they tangled or untangled, tied or untied?
Alpkit might have a range though.

If I ever see a brand call a range of clothing or equipment ''quantum'', I'll direct them to your link.
Bilbo Baggins.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Only posting here as it’s Friday in my small brain of mine :lol:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Regular visitors will no doubt already be familiar with Stu's fake dog poop, and its deployment against danglemugs.
You will also be familiar with the creed of TLS, and advanced practitioners will appreciate kit that can provide more than one function.

As such, I am pleased to present a way to combine anti-dangle measures with nutrition (and a little bit of psychology on the side...):

https://youtu.be/WQA8obfS4fM
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Poo you can eat, I'm in :-bd