Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by thenorthwind »

Missed the Slovenia discussion last week. We went a few years ago. Fantastic country. We travelled around a lot (basically a big lap of the country) but you'd need a car for that, and for most trips for that matter.

Bohinj was lovely. We went through the tunnel on the car-train to the Soça valley, which was fun, and the Soca is beautiful, well worth it if you can get there, either via the tunnel or the Vrsic pass. Can recommend an amazing little bar in Kobarid where the owner produced a wheel of local cheese that had been maturing and offered it round the bar :grin:

Apart from that, from where you are I'd probably try to explore more of Triglav national park rather than wasting lots of time travelling elsewhere (not that the rest of the country isn't worth seeing, it's just difficult and slow, even by car). You're not far from Bled, which is the tourist honeypot to end all honeypots, but it's worth a look - maybe if you can get there early in the morning for a couple of hours.

We stayed at a "tourist farm" - a farm that hosts visitors, not where they grow tourists! - and the food was absolutely incredible. I think some of them open as restaurants too, so if you can find one locally, it's worth a try.

For this cheery Friday...
Went out for a quick pre-breakfast ride on the road bike. On the way back, I found a back alley that I often ride to get into town and has been a few hundred yards of potholes and crumbling tarmac has been properly resurfaced and is now smooth as :-bd It's the little things.

Hopefully by later today I'll have a smoother more level garage floor too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pretty cheery for me - last day of current job, new job starts on Monday. So no more getting shouted at for putting speed bumps in (or not putting speed bumps in) and instead I get to play with a giant real life train set. :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

So no more getting shouted at for putting speed bumps in
I'd imagine that you will get shouted at if you do that in your new role
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's also my last day in my job. Sitting here with a big grin on my face.....

On to a life of less work stress and more leisure time.

Life is good!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:56 am
So no more getting shouted at for putting speed bumps in
I'd imagine that you will get shouted at if you do that in your new role
Now there's a thought.... :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Exciting times, best of luck both of you!

I am cheery that I've finished levelling part of the garage floor with a layer of screed and can have my coffee. First time I've done it and it was moderately stressful. I should really stop pretending I'm qualified to do all these things :lol: Not sure if the results will be cheery. Certainly looks more level than it was, which isn't saying much. Not going to be perfectly flat but it's going to have foam matting on top anyway. The mess is certainly not cheery - bonding agent and bits of cement everywhere and over everything :oops:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:35 am Dunno yet. My brain thinks it's Saturday. I have some valve guides to fit and some slightly weird custom poles to finish. Both jobs should be straightforward but I've long since stopped believing such things.
All 20 minute jobs are just 1 broken bolt away from a 3 day epic ordeal! :wink:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:12 pm I am cheery that I've finished levelling part of the garage floor with a layer of screed and can have my coffee. First time I've done it and it was moderately stressful. I should really stop pretending I'm qualified to do all these things :lol: Not sure if the results will be cheery. Certainly looks more level than it was, which isn't saying much. Not going to be perfectly flat but it's going to have foam matting on top anyway. The mess is certainly not cheery - bonding agent and bits of cement everywhere and over everything :oops:
A lot of building jobs are actually very simple when you break them down into their component steps. They also are a lot simpler if you do the right preparation beforehand :lol: In fact the preparation is probably the most important part. Most of the skill comes in doing the job first time and quickly which only really comes with practice, not something most DIYers get the chance to do.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

Not been on here much this week, but suddenly feeling very cheery - chill day on my own in the office, successful raid on the best bakery in town at lunchtime, just listening to Scorpions full blast while dealing with the last few e-mails and phone calls before switching off.

Happy weekend everyone
:-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cheesy Friday here as I've just submitted my latest book to Amazon. Hopefully "I'm a Cyclist Let Me Out of Here" will be available soon. Unless of course they refuse it for being too sweary/a bit sh1t.

Thanks to Reg, Northwind and Stu .. copies will be on the way to you shortly.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That is good news Dave. Sweary - good. Sh1t - doubtful. EDIT: Cheesy Friday Dave?

While I'm here - guides are in both heads* so I'll fit some new valve seats now and the odd 3 in 1 pole is curing. I even got some pointing done before it started to rain.

*even better is that Dee has no idea that I had them in the oven for 2 hours while she was a netball.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:45 pm being too sweary

Good luck with the guaranteed monster sales :-bd

FWIW I didn't think it was anywhere near sweary enough :grin:
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:02 pm That is good news Dave. Sweary - good. Sh1t - doubtful. EDIT: Cheesy Friday Dave?

While I'm here - guides are in both heads* so I'll fit some new valve seats now and the odd 3 in 1 pole is curing. I even got some pointing done before it started to rain.

*even better is that Dee has no idea that I had them in the oven for 2 hours while she was a netball.
Good job she hadn't left a cake in there at the same time - not a confusion that would end well I fancy.

PS. Don't ask about crankcase explosions.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't ask about crankcase explosions.
What about them? They're going in next to get the cam bushes out :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Doesn’t everyone celebrate with half a pint of Lymeswold?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Boab

Post by Boab »

Paid a visit to the vampires. 🧛
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:25 pm
Don't ask about crankcase explosions.
What about them? They're going in next to get the cam bushes out :wink: :grin:
Not yours :wink: . And in the words of a certain Mr B Hill of 1960s/1970s televisual comedy fame: "I told you not to ask about crankcase explosions, iriot!" :grin:
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Doesn’t everyone celebrate with half a pint of Lymeswold?
As a non-drinker I couldn't comment.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I remember a previous girlfried who was genuinely confused when I informed here the oven would be out of action for a while whilst I used it to heat up a pair of crank cases. My reply? "Thats what an oven is for isn't it?"

To be fair these days I do now use mine for oven chips and pizzas as well as engine components. In fact when I bought my latest oven it did cross my mind to measure it up and ensure it would be able to take a pair of crank cases. (it does)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:36 pm Doesn’t everyone celebrate with half a pint of Lymeswold?
Half a pint of blue cheese (*)?? Blimey, anti-cholesterol meds on standby!

Then again it might be nicer than this bottle of Bradfield (Sheffield) Brewery 'Farmers Belgian Blue' which is a bit like drinking a glass of crushed blueberries. Quite strange. (Sorry, wrong thread)

(*) I thought it was discontinued in 1992. Cheese Museum special release?

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:08 pm In fact when I bought my latest oven it did cross my mind to measure it up and ensure it would be able to take a pair of crank cases. (it does)
I did :smile:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:12 pm I am cheery that I've finished levelling part of the garage floor with a layer of screed and can have my coffee. First time I've done it and it was moderately stressful. I should really stop pretending I'm qualified to do all these things :lol: Not sure if the results will be cheery. Certainly looks more level than it was, which isn't saying much. Not going to be perfectly flat but it's going to have foam matting on top anyway. The mess is certainly not cheery - bonding agent and bits of cement everywhere and over everything :oops:
Going to be rolling/sparring in there?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:45 pm Cheesy Friday here as I've just submitted my latest book to Amazon. Hopefully "I'm a Cyclist Let Me Out of Here" will be available soon. Unless of course they refuse it for being too sweary/a bit sh1t.

:-bd Nice one Dave!

I am completely on board with the concept of Cheesy Friday.
In Reverse wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:39 pm Going to be rolling/sparring in there?
Only with my bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:45 pm Cheesy Friday here as I've just submitted my latest book to Amazon. Hopefully "I'm a Cyclist Let Me Out of Here" will be available soon. Unless of course they refuse it for being too sweary/a bit sh1t.

Cool, just thinking I need a light hearted read to balance out the heavy duty stuff I've been ploughing through of late. Are we your target audience though? :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Cheery Friday just got even cheerier!
An ex-boss now "faces extradition to the US to answer criminal fraud charges, after a ruling by the home secretary, Priti Patel."
💥
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.