Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by whitestone »

Karl wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 am Gian (Alpinum) is coming to the WRT. And I've just got an entry for the Iditarod Trail Invitational. Don't think it gets much better than that on a Friday :-bd
Which distance? Presumably not the full 1600km?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Karl

Post by Karl »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:48 pm
Karl wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 am Gian (Alpinum) is coming to the WRT. And I've just got an entry for the Iditarod Trail Invitational. Don't think it gets much better than that on a Friday :-bd
Well done karl what did that involve? Look forward to following yr dot next year :-bd
Riding to the top of Norway and quite a few weeks away in the Alps (funnily enough with Gian, my Swiss lucky charm :lol: ) probably sealed it. Feel very privileged to get in, wasn't sure I would. I'm in for the 350 miler first time around. Hoping to do the 1000 miler on successful completion, but one step at a time :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:09 pm FInally tied some guys on to the tarp and a test pitch was achieved, albeit rather low to the ground. I now know a whole 2 knots :grin:
is that a Bondage sub-collective. so there are a few of you..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For once I've got the right day and everything ... van passed its MOT this morning. While that was being done, dog and myself went to explore some old mine workings in the hills above Mach. I returned and parceled up the last of this weeks orders for Dee to take to the post office shortly and I'm now drinking a Nescafe latte while awaiting someone dropping off an industrial pressure washer that doesn't run ... so, not a bad day so far but the pragmatist inside does know it could turn to sh!te before bed-time :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:13 pm some old mine workings in the hills above Mach
You knew I'd be along shortly :wink: . Which ones were those then?
latte
"Stop Being Soft" :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Which ones were those then?
SH 758000 kind of area Reg. Appears to be quite a bit more than the map shows.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooh yes, good one, not well known at all. I really must come over and do another Mine Camp tour with, oh I don't know, someone who's local and likes riding bikes. Got a FoD mines invitation to follow up in competition with that though :smile: . Decisions, decisions.

Put some sun blinds up today for Mrs P which probably means we're in for a cold dull summer.

Beer o'clock in reward I feel.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

It's raining in Manchester.

Which means I'm not going outside mowing the lawn and trimming the hedges.

Which means I get to stay inside and play my new guitar that just got delivered. :grin:

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Today's been a bit meh, but in the spirit of this thread, I'll find some cheery linings from the week...

My van also passed its MOT on Wednesday which was more welcome than usual. Needs some stuff doing in the near future, but it's legal for now. *High fives Stu* (not near the exhaust though, just in case it falls off :lol: )

Without going into too much detail, I had a conversation with someone from Singletrack magazine about my subscription, which resulted in a very generous, though unnecessary gesture from them. I felt I'd unintentionally misled them, so tried to refuse it, but they wouldn't have it, so I need to think of a way to pay it forward. A nice reminder to deal with businesses consisting of good people, where possible.

I rode to the local country park this morning for a little walk around. I said good morning to a guy I'd passed who told me I'd left my lights on, to which I gave my usual "it's a dynamo but thanks" and wondered how many times I'd been told that... but then realised I should just be thankful at the number of people who will do that.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:13 pm Nescafe latte
Can't win 'em all eh
/coffee snob
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:20 pm Put some sun blinds up today for Mrs P which probably means we're in for a...
bang on the head? ~X( Ouch :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

a few unexpected dividend cheques. :grin:

Me: "Look what arrived today in the post. What shall we do"? :wink:
(Having already spent it in my mind on bike/packing stuff.)

My better half:" Dunno, but thats nice dear. " :-bd

(Having already spent it in her mind on female treats & frippery! )

Together: "Oo, Let's save it for the holiday... "
(unconvincingly)
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ sounds familiar :smile: . Perfectly understandable misunderstanding.

Cheerily fixed both my mats and they seem to be staying pumped (and stoked too probably). The Hyperlite suffered a direct hit by a hidden twig on the WRT causing a 5cm rip which I thought was terminal, and the Winterlite slowly deflated during the YD30.0 caused by a tiny pinhole. Mrs P was highly amused when I wrestled both in the bath to find the leaks - she said it looked like I was trying to give a reluctant dog a wash.

The Hyperlite fix had a small leak from one side of the patch despite "doing it as per the instructions", so it ended up with a patched patch. Hoping I don't need a patched patched patch.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not a good day - tripped up and landed heavily on the patio :sad: Now got a really sore knee. Nearly beer o'clock.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Speedy recovery Bob - should I send Reg over to patch you up?

I'm just welding up the frame on project 'Land Speed Racer' ... (really must get a catchier name for that) .... and it's stopped raining.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I got a mower yesterday but it's raining today - kinda cheery that I don't have to F-about with it. On the flip side I did indulge my gear-itis and bought a fancy Makita cordless one with height adjustment so now I can mow the (piddlingly small) bit of lawn at a height that obscures the bald patches caused by the dogs and is also, apparently, better for nature.

Also, as I now have even more compatible batteries I will never runout of Makita-juice in the hedge cutter/s.

How bloody middle aged :lol: :roll:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:49 pm ^ sounds familiar :smile: . Perfectly understandable misunderstanding.

Cheerily fixed both my mats and they seem to be staying pumped (and stoked too probably). The Hyperlite suffered a direct hit by a hidden twig on the WRT causing a 5cm rip which I thought was terminal, and the Winterlite slowly deflated during the YD30.0 caused by a tiny pinhole. Mrs P was highly amused when I wrestled both in the bath to find the leaks - she said it looked like I was trying to give a reluctant dog a wash.

The Hyperlite fix had a small leak from one side of the patch despite "doing it as per the instructions", so it ended up with a patched patch. Hoping I don't need a patched patched patch.

you didn't have a plan B, to line the patterns up.
you have it now Plan Bee
Attachments
Plan B
Plan B
Screenshot_20220429_073613.jpg (126.34 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
RIP

Post by RIP »

Don't wish to bee waspish about the situation but I specifically misaligned the honeycomb to confuse any stingy insects that might land on it while I was asleep. They would be so disorientated they would buzz off and bother another sleeper nearby :smile: .

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:01 pm Don't wish to bee waspish about the situation but I specifically misaligned the honeycomb to confuse any stingy insects that might land on it while I was asleep. They would be so disorientated they would buzz off and bother another sleeper nearby :smile: .
I wondered what that sound was the other night :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Now you know that it was my mat very slowly deflating, not a very loooooong draaaaaawn out high-pitched monotone Reg fart :grin: .

Actually, a small mat leak probably does sound a bit like a bee as well.

PS> I had such a comfy sleep in that barn, I've covered the whole of our bedroom floor with 9" of straw and taken the window out. It's almost as good but not quite.
Last edited by RIP on Fri May 20, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

For some random reason I cycled to the hospital in Ely where I was born. Then had a pint up the road from my first junior school in a glass with a handle just like my Dad always did. Finally I found some Twinkies in the campervan. Overall 8/10 on the cheery scale
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:20 pm
I'm just welding up the frame on project 'Land Speed Racer' ... (really must get a catchier name for that) .... and it's stopped raining.
Lancer?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm calling an early Friday, mainly to push aside all thoughts of those insufferable twats in parliament...

https://www.muchbetteradventures.com/ma ... described/
1. Most of us.
2. The Lonely Hearts Club
3. Also The Lonely Hearts Club
4. TheBrownDog
5. The packrafters.
6. All of us at one point.
7. Anyone who ever saw Mike in *that* crop top?
8. Allen.

:wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

(Pretty sure I've fallen into categories 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 at some point. Should probably try 2 one of these days.)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good spot, BL.

Oooooooo-kay, as usual "here we go":

Minimalist? With a Jetboil and a heavy headlight (and a tent)? We'll show them minimalist :wink:

Actually I enjoyed it as it raised a few smiles and that's all I'm bothered about. Same with your categories too :grin: .

But one huge omission shirley: where's the campfire photo???

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yesterday, I was invited to Bonneville to play with this*. Am I going? Don't know but been asked cheered me up ... and it's not raining.

*for anyone interested, it's a heavily modified Roadster producing around 5000hp. It currently holds the class record but they're looking to break 350mph this year with it. For anyone not interested, sorry.