Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

8am and I still have all my fingers and toes, although I will be breaking out my bandsaw later on :-C
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Friday is usually office but this week I was needed to cover school run. Work has been a right arse so booked the day off and planned for a day pretty much to myself...bike ride, nice lunch, a few hours playing records with no one to moan at my impeccable taste. It's been a long time coming.

Youngest got ill 2 days ago and is off. Oldest got ill this morning and is off. Expectations truely dampened. Still, not at work, still planning a nice lunch for us and a record to collect that has been waiting for me for a few weeks. It is Friday and, therefore, still cheery.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:12 am 8am and I still have all my fingers and toes, although I will be breaking out my bandsaw later on :-C
I wonder how you'll get on typing with a pencil held in your mouth....... :???:

Just been out for breakfast with the better half - given that I should have been in a mtg I don't feel a bit guilty. Plus it was paid for via a gift card so it cost us nothing :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

In the train with my fatbike loaded for 3.5 days of messing about in the wintry Alps.
Full of respect for the next few days. A bit scared perhaps?
Going without a security net. I might die.
Wish me well.

:-bd
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:12 pm In the train with my fatbike loaded for 3.5 days of messing about in the wintry Alps.
Full of respect for the next few days. A bit scared perhaps?
Going without a security net. I might die.
Wish me well.

:-bd
Sounds great, enjoy!!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Verena wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:58 am Shall we try a Cheery Friday without any injuries this week??? Just a thought....
Sorry, no can do...

It was a fairly cheery Friday up til this point. Got up early, no hangover after a couple of very strong beers last night hanging out with some friends and listening to records. Got a couple of jobs done early on: a couple of my photos and a mirror up in the bathroom.

Went to the timber merchants, which was pleasantly quiet for a change. Wandered down to an artisan bakery with the dog for pastries. Went to Halfords for some floor mats for the garage. My kind of shopping trip.

Finally got down to doing some finishing off jobs in the kitchen: oak panelling, skirting, floor thresholds, that sorry of thing. With a clear afternoon ahead, it was looking promising. Then I did that ^ sawing a tiny innocuous bit of laminate flooring :(( Now I'm going to struggle to do anything requiring two hands for the rest of today, possibly the weekend :sad: I'm hoping it's worse than it looks and I've kind of gone round the end of the thumb rather than in a straight line through the nail to the exit on the end, but still, needs to be kept clean. I suspect that might make tomorrow's planned packrafting a non- starter, despite my shoulder injury (also DIY related, but BB200 initiated) just about being fixed enough :cry: I wish I was as good at other stuff as I am at hurting myself.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:58 am Shall we try a Cheery Friday without any injuries this week??? Just a thought....
well we recovering with various degrees of incapacition.

I woke up with a swollen toe joint. >The spouse has diagnosed it as gout. I'm waiting for an appointment with the GP, I hope he is more qualified 'A' level biology (environmental & social) , grade c. :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've just been playing Gridrunner on my Vic 20 (lunch break). It's retro-cheery-Friday
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:12 am 8am and I still have all my fingers and toes, although I will be breaking out my bandsaw later on :-C
IMG_12112021_142349_(100_x_71_pixel).jpg
IMG_12112021_142349_(100_x_71_pixel).jpg (2.89 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Does this mean you've lost another few fingers?
I hope not. :shock: :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:52 pm I'm hoping it's worse than it looks
Masochist :smile: .

I like the way your main priority is "quick, get a photo of the damage" rather than rushing off on a desperate search for a plaster or some gaffer tape :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:41 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:52 pm I'm hoping it's worse than it looks
Masochist :smile: .

I like the way your main priority is "quick, get a photo of the damage" rather than rushing off on a desperate search for a plaster or some gaffer tape :grin:
Wait, that sentence was as clumsy as my sawing technique... I'm hoping it looks worse than it is.

I took that after a few minutes of squeezing kitchen roll into it, mainly so I could show my girlfriend without unwrapping it.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:02 pm
well we recovering with various degrees of incapacition.

I woke up with a swollen toe joint. >The spouse has diagnosed it as gout. I'm waiting for an appointment with the GP, I hope he is more qualified 'A' level biology (environmental & social) , grade c. :lol:
it has been confirmed as gout, I'm on a course of anti inflamatories (NSAIDS - Colchicine). Its easing a little :-bd but is still very warm to touch. life style review due :smile: .

Oh Burger Alcorol is can banned. :???:
(phonetically speak as the local p!$$head says)).
ps Mrs Spouse was dancing round the kitchen table celebrating she was right again. :roll: I wasn't going to chase her :lol:

Note to self never follow tomatoes for supper with a little glass of port. :-(
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yay, I'm off to Chapel Curig after work for a weekend with mates, walking.

And I have a (nearly) new bike, a Specialized Rockhopper. I say this with some trepidation, as I'm anticipating many of you making helpful suggestions as to how I should have got something different/ better... It's too late now, I've got it, and it's a lot better than my "retro" Jamis...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm anticipating many of you making helpful suggestions as to how I should have got something different/ better... It's too late now, I've got it, and it's a lot better than my "retro" Jamis...
I reckon we're all too old and jaded to to bikeist ... if you're happy, we're happy :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Verena wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:06 am Yay, I'm off to Chapel Curig after work for a weekend with mates, walking.

And I have a (nearly) new bike, a Specialized Rockhopper. I say this with some trepidation, as I'm anticipating many of you making helpful suggestions as to how I should have got something different/ better... It's too late now, I've got it, and it's a lot better than my "retro" Jamis...
I thought I saw a new bike on your Instagram :grin: I had a 1990's one (older than the Jamis) and Jane has a more modern one (26" so not that modern) and they are both great bikes. As much as Specialized's business practices can be a bit off at times they do make a good bike, you don't get to be one of the largest bike manufacturers in the world if you don't make a good product.

Cheery for me as despite my mounting fatigue, a few twinges in my legs and drinking 2 pints last night (went out for dinner for my wedding anniversary) I still managed to run to work in 62 minutes so pretty much the average time for the route. When the alarm went off this morning i had visions of having to walk (hobble) the second half as I had a pain in my calf yesterday when I tried to speed up crossing the road. Also cheery as I'm getting al lift home with Jane so I can rest now until Monday.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:11 am
I'm anticipating many of you making helpful suggestions as to how I should have got something different/ better... It's too late now, I've got it, and it's a lot better than my "retro" Jamis...
I reckon we're all too old and jaded to to bikeist ... if you're happy, we're happy :-bd
We certainly are. Got two wheels has it? Handlebars? A few gears maybe, and some grippy tyres? I guess you've tested that it goes up and down hills and round corners? The rest is all frippery and fol-de-rol.

Quite cheery here, apart from one or two ongoing background anxieties, 'cos off to see my Year 4's again for some bike skills. This week I'll chuck limbo poles into the mix, that always goes down well. W/ref back to V's situation, the kids' bikes will be hugely varied in type, quality and condition (M-checking 32 bikes on my own on first day proved that), but neither they nor I care because the only thing that matters is they, like us, are having FUN (yes ok, 'in a safe learning environment' too :smile: ).

PS. I see just Peter, Sean, Verena and meself are popping in Here at this precise moment. I think that would be a group I'd like a ride with - an interesting and varied cross-section of 'Boners :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

As Spindatt says, every bike is a good time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh dull but, I've just finished a Wych bow which Dee will give to one of her friends as a Christmas present. Always a nice feeling to get one finished, especially when it's going to a worthy recipient.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Cheer Friday, no foot/gout pain, swelling almost gone.
finishing my 'mad joinery project' a mini porch for the shed, which has gone down a rabbit hole of hole...
-honing chisel sharpening skill.
-make mortice tenon joints with shoulders.
-understand different joints and how to make a framed roof.
all good fun keeping me out of trouble,

it started finding a few bits of cedar T+G off cuts in a skip.
A simple pitched sloping canopy would have been easiest, but I decided to match it with the pitched roof... braced support brackets.. currently cladding it...
Attachments
shed porch
shed porch
IMG_19112021_110240_(500_x_800_pixel).jpg (81.79 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nice ^

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:11 pm Nice ^
"may the bridges you burn light your way"

Is that a suggest what I do next... :roll:

post me some slates to go with it..

oh you're' at the wrong end of wales :roll: :lol:
Last edited by ledburner on Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Listening to Sleaford Mods. Saw them at the Academy earlier this week. Still on a mild music high by Friday after a great gig :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

Nice joints ledburner. Handmade shingles next, surely? Keep meaning to teach myself some elementary woodwork, every time I do some I find it quite satisfying...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Could've sworn there was a "What Are You Watching Now?" thread. This'll have to do instead.

10pm Channel 4 tonight, Along for the Ride with David O’Doherty. Dungeness with Richard Ayoade this time; future ones with Grayson Perry in the Brecon Beacons ("a former mountain bike racer" - blimey!), Mel Giedroyc, Joe Wilkinson, so should be a few laffs along the way.

"I think when you're cycling, the boring half your brain is taken up with steering and trying not to ride into the back of that Toyota Yaris. This frees up the other half - the creative part. I've had some of the best chats of my life on bikes. Very often you get straight to the heart of the issue - big stuff – love, death, food... "

"we did it all for real. We weren’t taking lifts in cars or sneaking off to hotels. We were staying in tents and wooden sheds... At no point does anyone mention their Strava or produce a heart rate monitor. " :-bd

https://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content ... -o-doherty

RIP

Post by RIP »

I rather enjoyed that. Similar feel to Paul and Bob Gone Fishing. Whimsical bollockspeak not unlike many a caper on Here to be honest. And I'm definitely taking some lollipop-whistles/toot-sweets on my next outing. "Thanks to Restrap" apparently. Grayson Perry next week then.