Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

Just been for a evening wander round the vill, and had forgotten from last time that these wee beasties are in the neighbour's front room!

And, just found out that one of the longest mine soughs (look it up) in the country runs almost directly under this little cottage - Yatestoop Sough. Around 4 miles long, tunnelled in the 18C, took decades. Still there. Going to obtain a spade tomorrow. Can only be 100' or so down. Kitchen floor looks pretty soft so no problem. Have got a week to find out. Owners'll be fine with that I'm sure.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

That looks like my front room doesn't look like my window though nice to know I'm not alone
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Reg, I’m going to assume the previous post was about trains, more for my own sanity than anything else.
Cheery here, unexpected day off which I used to pack the bike etc, also took a trip up to leisure lake bikes, lovely people unlike the knobers at my LBS.
They have finally located a crank brothers dropbar remote for me after 3 months of frustration :-bd

Had my lad around tonight, we’re starting to educate each other musically, all those hours sitting in the bathroom playing him decent music have definitely left him with a very mature taste.

Bike is packed, weather forecast is good and Wales is open :-bd

And I’ve received a job offer, lots to weigh up but cheery to know I’m not completely past it yet :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 pm Dale? West Blockhouse? A Landmark for Landslide, how appropriate :-bd .
Yup! It's even got a drawbridge!
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:35 pm And I’ve received a job offer, lots to weigh up but cheery to know I’m not completely past it yet :-bd
Yes we are past it Stevo :wink: , but obv good news about the job.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:44 am
RIP wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 pm Dale? West Blockhouse? A Landmark for Landslide, how appropriate :-bd .
Yup! It's even got a drawbridge!
Hope you're enjoying it! Stayed there about 35 years ago. Spent ages down the cliff at the little observation thingy with the waves crashing below and the tankers toddling past. Elemental it was.

Can't find a spade so have had to abandon my mineshaft in the kitchen before I've even started it :sad: .

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't find a spade so have had to abandon my mineshaft in the kitchen before I've even started it
Don't fret. I've found a new level here that I didn't know existed but was recently uncovered by forest operations ... and I thought I knew 'em all. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:00 pm
Can't find a spade so have had to abandon my mineshaft in the kitchen before I've even started it
Don't fret. I've found a new level here that I didn't know existed but was recently uncovered by forest operations ... and I thought I knew 'em all. :wink:
:-bd

Cue an underground bivvy spot!

I'd like to nose around that there Llannerch-yr-aur. Was looking at it in Bick the other day and it seems there was a giant water wheel next to the road at Ty Isaf, with a wire rope all the way up the valley and up the side of it to a level. Must've been a sight when it was operational. There's probably a tunnel from your front room direct under the hill to the mine :smile: .

Nice weather for you know what today anyroad. Sshh...

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nearly there so I'm starting early... just had a call for my second jab this weekend. Wasn't expecting it til the 1st of July, having already skipped the queue for the first as it is :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cheery as hell for me. I’m in Exeter airport about to catch a flight to Scotchland for a week in the wilds with Big Agnes
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have fun Dave but to be fair, I thought you'd already gone.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Been planting out veg and flowers. They've been struggling until last week when everything started growing madly as things got warmer.

Now time for a cup of tea and I've put the hammock up under the fruit trees so an afternoon siesta is in order :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:20 pm Now time for a cup of tea
Ditto. Sadly no hammock though.
flowers
Spotted millions (well, ok, several hundred) of these little chaps in Lathkill Dale earlier, which I thought were cheery.

scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:19 pm
flowers
Spotted millions (well, ok, several hundred) of these little chaps in Lathkill Dale earlier, which I thought were cheery.

Orchids Reg?

I’m in the New Forest camping for the week, having withdrawals from the bike after last weekend, will look at hiring a ped of some sort next week when the annoying small people have gone back to school. Top riding weather and a little flatter than the Welsh hills🤫
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

scott of the woods wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:15 pm
flowers

Orchids Reg?
quote]
I was led to believe they've re orchids aswell
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

scott of the woods wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:15 pm

Orchids Reg?

I was led to believe they're orchids aswell
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

They certainly were. Couldn't move for 'em. Obviously I was more interested in the old lead mine shaft next to them :wink: but even I was impressed :smile:

Verena

Post by Verena »

Cheery Friday! A warm sunny weekend ahead, and for me not quite a week off work, but lots of half days, so what's not to be cheery about?

Blimey I can hardly keep up with all the posts on here these days, so good to see summer is in full swing now and lots happening everywhere :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

4 day weekend :-bd Off to North Anglesey for the day for a coastal walk
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lucky you, V & V :smile: .

Got a few tedious things to deal with at the moment, so am taking simple pleasures this time: for five minutes have just watched two blackbirds feeding their three babies with the fat pellets I dropped in the yard earlier. Also seen the wren popping in and out of the nest under the shed eaves. Know for a fact there's babies in there too. Just need to ensure the automated anti-feline machine-gun towers are fully loaded before I go out.

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:54 am V & V :smile: .
V &V, I like it.

Quite appropriate as well really. About ten minutes after my CF post, I found myself on my hands and knees, and not in a good way, in the bathroom, cleaning up the more inaccessible remains of explosive vomit (not mine) after last night's curry. Not cheery as such, but still has a comic element to it so makes me giggle. After all, who amongst us hasn't been there??

Should there be a new law though, that the only people allowed to eat curry are those who are capable of cleaning up their own vom afterwards, if required?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

There's a chap here plastering my bathroom as we speak (not with vom) so cheery that it's finally getting sorted - only lived here 5 years with bare plaster/brick/exposed floorboards,

I told Jane that he said we need leave the new plaster a minimum of 5 years to dry before painting and I should concentrate on cycling, weirdly she didn't believe he said that :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 pm There's a chap here plastering my bathroom as we speak (not with vom) so cheery that it's finally getting sorted - only lived here 5 years with bare plaster/brick/exposed floorboards,

I told Jane that he said we need leave the new plaster a minimum of 5 years to dry before painting and I should concentrate on cycling, weirdly she didn't believe he said that :lol:
Amateur :lol: When we moved here, nearly twenty years ago, Cath said "We need a new bathroom". It got fitted 18 months ago :grin: Still not painted the plasterwork or put any flooring in.

Anyway, my second jab went fine, didn't collapse or any other drama.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Off up north to see friends, drink beer, have a barby and do some normal mountainbiking i.e. where we spend more time chatting than riding
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:33 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:54 am V & V :smile: .
V &V, I like it.

Quite appropriate as well really. About ten minutes after my CF post, I found myself on my hands and knees, and not in a good way, in the bathroom, cleaning up the more inaccessible remains of explosive vomit (not mine) after last night's curry. Not cheery as such, but still has a comic element to it so makes me giggle. After all, who amongst us hasn't been there??

Should there be a new law though, that the only people allowed to eat curry are those who are capable of cleaning up their own vom afterwards, if required?
For a while there I was going to heckle you for allowing your dog to eat the leftover curry!