Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just packing a bike which can mean many things but in this case, it means BaM 2022 will be underway later today. There's a mountain with my name on (not literally).
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:16 am 51 signs you may have taken ultralight bikepacking too far.

(Sign 51 is that you've clearly forgotten the bike.)
Not particularly funny or original but right on the money. Its the Ultraliters themselves who are the real joke.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:07 pmThere's a mountain with my name on (not literally).
Bit of a trek for you, but...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Stuart
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's weekend. I'm Susan at weekends.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

:-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

The picture doesn't do it justice, but the moon over the water at Llyn Brenig last night was amazing. Loving my night riding at the minute.

RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:58 am
RIP wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:04 am Meanwhile in other news, if you're at a loose end, this puzzle made my brain hurt and made me quite cheery. Managed to get today's in five goes.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
I've been playing every day, well every day I'm at work. I had the first 3 letters early doors so how appropriate that I didn't get the solution to the last guess :lol:

My lad just told me his missus got today's in three goes and by some amazing coincidence used the same first word as me!! Weird.
Spoiler alert! > my effort today was: LEMON, ASTER, FLUID, PEACH, PRICK. I'm sure people with a less lewd brain than mine would have gone for BRICK but there we go. I surprised myself by realising that I used a bit of logic with my choices rather than good old guesswork. Lad's missus went with LEMON, TRUCK, PRICK, which was quite impressive.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

It took me six attempts as I had a difficult choice between brick and prick and as a builder it had to be brick wrong as usual :???:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:04 am
Meanwhile in other news, if you're at a loose end, this puzzle made my brain hurt and made me quite cheery. Managed to get today's in five goes.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
Only heard about this the other day after catching the end of Suzie Dent talking about it breakfast telly. Amazed myself by getting them in a 3, a 2 and another 3 today. Feels like I should quit while i'm ahead. :lol:
Today went with ELBOW - STAMP _ PRICK. Must have been all the coverage of BoJo on the news that inspired the last guess.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Two?? :o . I'm depressed instead of cheery now :sad: :wink: . I think with your ELBOW and STAMP, you might be employing the same 'technique' as me too :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:07 pm Just packing a bike which can mean many things but in this case, it means BaM 2022 will be underway later today. There's a mountain with my name on (not literally).
Verena

Post by Verena »

CF for me - got the house to myself (human wise) for the weekend, which is VERY rare, so a girl's weekend it is, just me and ma bitch :-bd

Hermione and I will be watching chick flicks on the sofa, doing each other's hair and nails, that sort of thing - not to mention the beauty treatment/ snail face mask of course....
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:07 pm Two?? :o . I'm depressed instead of cheery now :sad: :wink: . I think with your ELBOW and STAMP, you might be employing the same 'technique' as me too :wink: .
Pure fluke. First line was ROAST so I had 3 correct letters in the correct place. Took me about half an hour of staring at the screen before ROBOT popped into my head. I'd never thought about using a letter twice.
The only technique I've thought of is putting a first quess with more thab one vowel.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:07 pm Just packing a bike which can mean many things but in this case, it means BaM 2022 will be underway later today. There's a mountain with my name on (not literally).
Now that is cheery! Looking forward to hearing all about it, although doubtless nothing of importance will happen - in a good way :-bd .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:38 pm
I'm Susan at weekends.
Now that would explain a few things I've never quite understood about Mrs Perrin and weekends. Never been able to put my finger on it until now.

(and well spotted, Bear :smile: )

RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:20 pm CF for me - got the house to myself (human wise) for the weekend, which is VERY rare, so a girl's weekend it is, just me and ma bitch :-bd

Hermione and I will be watching chick flicks on the sofa, doing each other's hair and nails, that sort of thing - not to mention the beauty treatment/ snail face mask of course....
:lol:

I can exactly picture the scene!

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Cheery Friday, :-bd - well for yesterday. just got the FamilybJolliday in the sun we wanted. lakes & mountains, walk & biking in Slovenia. cheaper that the Mrs wanting (Swizz/Austra/Italian lakes alternatives).
Also just got a quote for double glazing. for 3 big windows & door. (2m tall bay window sash, French door & x2 sash windows, v. tall 3m stairs window, stained glass encapsulation) and about same prize, as the family holiday.
or I could just go and replace my car :wink: hmmmm
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

ledburner wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:59 am Cheery Friday, :-bd - well for yesterday. just got the FamilybJolliday in the sun we wanted. lakes & mountains, walk & biking in Slovenia. cheaper that the Mrs wanting (Swizz/Austra/Italian lakes alternatives).
Also just got a quote for double glazing. for 3 big windows & door. (2m tall bay window sash, French door & x2 sash windows, v. tall 3m stairs window, stained glass encapsulation) and about same prize, as the family holiday.
or I could just go and replace my car :wink: hmmmm

O I LOVE Slovenia, where are you going to?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bohinj village, near lake (jezero bohinj) South of Mt Triglev. sth east of Lake Bled, E. N. E. of Ljubljana...
Mrs wanted to see Austria, so we pass through on the coach from Salt burg. Bruce Double Bonus!

Any advice to eat /drink / day trip to or avoid? :smile:
Attachments
IMG_22012022_190212_(500_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_22012022_190212_(500_x_800_pixel).jpg (83.78 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bohinj lake is beautiful! I'm guessing you'll go up the cable car to the Vogel area for some higher level walking or biking?
There's a stunning waterfall walk near there, Slap Mostnice.
For food, we had a good meal in Bohinj but I can't remember where...all food there is just 🤤 IMO.
A trip up/ over Vrsis pass (sorry can't do the accents over the s) is recommended, by bike would be a cool challenge. Highly recommend this place to eat if open, proper traditional food cooked by grandma herself Tonkina koča na Vršiču
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CdQDQ9vY8zFr563B6

Avoid doing what my mate did, which is break his leg on 2nd night of the holiday while walking back in the dark from Bohinj to our hostel...although the hospital in Jesenice is also highly recommended....
Verena

Post by Verena »

One more...remaining completely off topic, sorry :lol:

Mojstrana is a lovely little village, with a brilliant museum of alpinism, well worth a visit. It also has an escape room based around an regency mountain shelter.

And a very good, very cheap pizzeria opposite

Slovenski planinski muzej
+386 838 06730
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XKwmWcCYiKktMgrr5
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

oh inside info brilliant. :grin: I haven't planned on hiring a car, cycling is possible but I don't know what the quality of the hire bikes will be like. I'll take the seat big seat pack... just in case.
28 miles to Kranjska gora. it may be a solo ride. .. :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:14 am
A trip up/ over Vrsis pass (sorry can't do the accents over the s) is recommended, by bike would be a cool challenge. Highly recommend this place to eat if open, proper traditional food cooked by grandma herself Tonkina koča na Vršiču
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CdQDQ9vY8zFr563B6
lots of good feedback /tips :-bd
vrsis pass is Vršič pass? - the Russian road, route 206, am I on the right lines. Also you did put accent over the 's like this š :lol:
Did you hire a car or drive overland?also when were you there?

Avoid doing what my mate did, which is break his leg on 2nd night of the holiday while walking back in the dark from Bohinj to our hostel...although the hospital in Jesenice is also highly recommended....
we want a cracking Joliday, but not like that :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dunno yet. My brain thinks it's Saturday. I have some valve guides to fit and some slightly weird custom poles to finish. Both jobs should be straightforward but I've long since stopped believing such things.