Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by In Reverse »

RIP wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:52 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health ... sts.html

Glad to see my tramp/layabout/pub/cafe style of bikepacking totally vindicated. By the, er, Daily HateMail.

You x00/fitness/training lot need to get with the programme :-bd .
Red wine is good for the mitigation of arterial plaque if the print media's science reporting from twenty years ago is to be believed.

I've always gone with a nice Château Bélair-Monange in my Camelbak. Really compliments the Spar own-brand cheese.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

It's nearly Friday, and this bit of nonsense is making me smile:
https://www.atlasfloyd.com/cheers-drive ... -the-times
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:51 am It's nearly Friday, and this bit of nonsense is making me smile:
https://www.atlasfloyd.com/cheers-drive ... -the-times
Thanks for that - it made me smile too. I do like a bit of silliness.. and the lengthy explanation says a lot about an author that went to such pains to provide it.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Friday off, car packed and off to the Alpkit Shakeout! Biking, camping beer and bands and everything!! What's not to like :grin:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not so cheery - headed over to my brother's this morning. Got there to be told that he'd had his quad bike nicked during the night :sad: They got into the barn and pushed it along the back lane before loading it into a van.

It's not so much the cost of the bike, covered by insurance, but getting a replacement - they are almost as much as a top end mountain bike!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bike park Wales today with some mates scary fast downhills :shock:
Trying to ride bikes.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

whitestone wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:04 pm Not so cheery - headed over to my brother's this morning. Got there to be told that he'd had his quad bike nicked during the night :sad: They got into the barn and pushed it along the back lane before loading it into a van.

It's not so much the cost of the bike, covered by insurance, but getting a replacement - they are almost as much as a top end mountain bike!
it the hassle that goes with it, hope it has a tracker..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

VERY cheery here, getting into the swing of the new job. Rather than swanning around theatres and film sets I’ve entered the world of 800 tonne shackles and other big lifting gear.
Most of my new colleagues are from the Black Country or proper up north. Most refreshing :-bd oh and they are not put out about my wanting to be paid for joining in the fun :-bd
Also cheery is this,

A Reverend guitars ‘Dub King’ bass, looking forward to playing it, 30" scale but still has a little punch, slightly scaredy-cat, I’d really wanted a 32" scale but it’s just bang on for that sublime dub rock sound,oh god what have I done? Obviously I’ll soon need something more modern sounding to partner it, despite knowing I’ll most likely not play live again..
boom.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Cheerie one. Good day at work, followed by a 82 km ride home, not knowing where I was and finding some lovely single- & doubletracks.
Hadn't been trailbiking for 4 weeks (hiking & packrafting hols inbetween) and feel I might be too tired to go riding/hiking/running on the weekend. I could go paddling though :grin:
Nephew will have a football match in the village I live, looking forward seeing him.
GF got a new job (her dream job) :-bd
Got a reply from Mick Hannah.
Good for balancing the sad news about Iohan.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ledburner wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:57 pm
whitestone wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:04 pm Not so cheery - headed over to my brother's this morning. Got there to be told that he'd had his quad bike nicked during the night :sad: They got into the barn and pushed it along the back lane before loading it into a van.

it the hassle that goes with it, hope it has a tracker..
No no tracker on it, the seller he got it from now installs them for £300 or so. A local off-duty policeman noticed a "dubious" Transit on Thursday, hopefully he took the number.

I think he only paid £1000 for it second hand but you are now talking £5000+ for one.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Late to the party but I've just this minute returned from the Alpkit BSO (but I did go on Friday) where I've spent two days putting people right off ever going bikepacking :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:53 pm Late to the party :-bd but I've just this minute returned from the Alpkit BSO (but I did go on Friday) where I've spent two days putting people right off ever going bikepacking :wink:
Well the ditches would get too crowded out side the petrol stations. wouldn't they... Good move. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:53 pm Late to the party but I've just this minute returned from the Alpkit BSO (but I did go on Friday) where I've spent two days putting people right off ever going bikepacking :wink:
I wonder if anyone might happen to have a photo of Stu's Look; administered when someone asks a question that has, shall we say, not been quite clearly thought through before being asked?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just popped out to the shops on me bike. Seem to be some long queues at petrol stations, with lots of people shouting at each other for some reason. I gave them a cheery wave as I toddled past, to cheer them up, but it didn't seem to go down particularly well. Ah well, I tried.

(Yes obv I sympathise with people who need to do "essential journeys" but.. makes you think...)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wonder if anyone might happen to have a photo of Stu's Look; administered when someone asks a question that has, shall we say, not been quite clearly thought through before being asked?
No, I was very well behaved Reg :wink: However, I'm now fairly sure that slugs are the main reason why more people don't try bikepacking.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Could that be the theme of a future t-shirt?
This is what you're up against bikepacking - slugs, ticks, midges, mozzies, cows etc. etc.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Every Sport a Bowling Ball
https://vimeo.com/587597297
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:33 am Every Sport a Bowling Ball
Just what we needed! :-bd
I'd like to see the sequel....

all the Every Sports @ 60ft vs Ten pins =))
slarge

Post by slarge »

Cheery Friday came early......

A 10 week old black lab puppy was delivered today by a friend who lives opposite - his dog had a litter and all except this one have gone to new homes. He was going to keep him but elderly parents and 3 existing dogs made him a bit "at the limit" so we took him. Lovely little thing who is now asleep under my feet. His name is Boz - strictly not named after the hapless f*wit in no.10, but a shortened version of Barblythe Countryman ...

Our other 2 year old black lab doesn't seem too bothered yet :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:33 am Every Sport a Bowling Ball
I've just watched this my kids. Bella escaped to the loo to avoid soiling herself with giggles. Finn followed soon after. Me. I just let the wee come out. Bloody hell that is funny. Thanks chap.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although the weather's truly awful, there is a silver lining in that I get to spend a few hours fabbing more stuff for this guilt free :-bd Making each individual piece is quite a drawn out process but ultimately very satisfying - there's also the issue that you can't actually buy anything. There should hopefully be a few less pieces of cardboard and bits of tape and more metal by tonight :wink:

PS: @Steve :grin: :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

slarge wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:35 pm Cheery Friday came early......

A 10 week old black lab puppy was delivered today by a friend who lives opposite - his dog had a litter and all except this one have gone to new homes. He was going to keep him but elderly parents and 3 existing dogs made him a bit "at the limit" so we took him. Lovely little thing who is now asleep under my feet. His name is Boz - strictly not named after the hapless f*wit in no.10, but a shortened version of Barblythe Countryman ...

Our other 2 year old black lab doesn't seem too bothered yet :-bd
Lovely!

I'll pass the sleepless-nights-following-new-canine-arrival baton to you then.

Mine was well enough last night to grizzle and bark a bit, which made her cough, but after going downstairs just the once for an ear scratch she got the message and slept through, as did we.

That's enough to make a CF for me :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

In a tent, just off a bridleway, somewhere between Ickleford and Pirton. 👍
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've been put in charge of a large tarmac roller ... what were they thinking :shock:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

"He looks like he can do a load of the work for us, and we can still charge him full whack."